Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 09:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Gut microbes, histidine and type II diabetes

Quote:
Gut microbiota products can favor diabetes

A study published in the journal Cell shows that the gut microbiota has the ability to affect how cells respond to insulin, and can thus contribute to type 2 diabetes. The findings demonstrate an hereto unknown pathological mechanism.

During recent years, the gut microbiota has been associated with health and several disease conditions. However, only a few studies have investigated whether an altered gut microbiota can directly affect disease.

Scientists at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, are now showing that the gut microbiota of people with treatment-naïve type 2 diabetes can be linked to a different metabolism of the amino acid histidine, which is mainly derived from the diet.

This in turn leads to the formation of imidazole propionate, a substance that impairs the cells' ability to respond to insulin. Reducing the amount of bacterial-produced imidazole propionate could therefore be a new way of treating patients with type 2 diabetes.

"This substance does not cause all type 2 diabetes, but our working hypothesis is that there are subpopulations of patients who might benefit from changing their diet or altering their gut microbiota to reduce the levels of imidazole propionate," says Fredrik Backhed, Professor of Molecular Medicine with a research focus on the role of gut microbiota in metabolism.

The latest study included analysis of various substances in the blood vessel that goes from the intestine to the liver. The researchers then identified an elevated concentration of the substance imidazole propionate in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Using fecal samples, it was also possible to show that the microbiota of people with type 2 diabetes produced imidazole propionate when histidine was added. This mechanism was not found in the diabetes-free control subjects.

The study comprised 5 patients with type 2 diabetes and 10 diabetes-free control subjects. The findings were then confirmed in a larger study involving 649 people.

The Gothenburg scientists then proceeded to investigate the effect of imidazole propionate on sugar metabolism, and found that the molecule affected a signaling pathway previously linked to metabolic-related diseases by directly activating a specific protein, p38gamma.

These findings provide answers to questions about the nature of the underlying mechanisms. These, according to Backhed, often remain unanswered in studies of how gut bacteria are associated with, for example, obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

As Director of the Wallenberg Laboratory for Cardiovascular and Metabolic Research at Sahlgrenska Academy, he sees the translational research environment as a key to the results now being presented.

The combination of basic and clinical research paves the way for identification of bacteria-induced mechanisms and simultaneously, through further studies, stratify patient populations and identifying new more personalized forms of treatment.

"Our findings show clearly how important the interaction between gut microbiota and diet is to understand our metabolism in health and disease. The result also shows that gut bacteria from different individuals can lead to the production of completely different substances that may have very specific effects in the body," says Backhed.

I'm sort of surprised at the restraint shown here. If you click on the link to the study itself, the graphical abstract pictures two people enjoying the kebabs that are surely going to give them type two diabetes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81026105602.htm

Knee jerk response is of course harrumph, of course a high protein diet, ketogenic or not, has been shown to be preferable to a high carb diet for type II diabetics. But then there are horrors like the Rice Diet out there that have shown some therapeutic benefit. Also there's context--did they check to see if this product had an adverse effect on a low carb diet? Or the effect of low carb on the biome, and the prevalence or activity of the bacteria that process histidine in this way? If you do find a contributor, you still have to define the conditions which it has the effect under.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 10:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

And which came first? The changes to the gut biota leading to diabetes, or what happens in the body exposed to constant high blood sugar?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 12:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

On a different note...

Ummmmm, perhaps this is why the holistic docs like to have the gut in tip top shape? One of Dr Hymans videos pointed out there are some 1000 gut microbes. More than I had heard of from other sources.

Recently I read that the mouth biome also has an effect on obesity..... and the mouth biome inoculates the rest of the GI.

Seems like whipping the gut in to shape has much value.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 09:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I suspect this is far more complex an issue than a “silver bullet” can fix, but since devoting myself to fermented foods I have seen an uptick in my digestive health; just as I did when I started probiotics prior to that.

Also, considerable studies support how pets help children develop healthy immmune systems, and avoid higher incidences of asthma and allergies.

I have also read a few firsthand accounts of how terrible cases of IBS resolved with a low carb or ketogenic diet.

I also think these “baffling” auto-immune disorders are the result of high stress and Acquired Cortisol Resisitance. It is certainly connected with MINE.