Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Thumbs down popcorn!!!

O.K. a confession from me....I took the kids to the movies and dropped them off. I could smell the popcorn, and I absolutely LOVE movie popcorn. I bought a Medium bag and took it home, drenched it in real butter, and split it with my hubby. At least we ended up throwing about a quarter of the bag away, but it was like eating a small piece of heaven. Now I feel so guilty, and like a no will power having piece of crap, that I am having a hard time eating at all. At least I tell myself that I didn't go all out, and just throw my woe out the window entirely!! I didn't gorge on any other non legal foods, and I didn't eat at McDonalds when I took the kids there after the movie. I do love their McFish sandwiches!!! But I let myself have this "cheat", and now feel so BAD!!! HELP ME!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 10:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey, don't worry!! I ate some popcorn last nite too. It was late and me and the bf were watching a movie and, well, popcorn just goes so well with movies Since being on maintenance I've had popcorn about 3 times (usually at the movie theatre, but sometimes, like last night, it was just a bag I popped at home). Here's the good news: I have never shown a gain the next day after eating popcorn. But I never overdo it either. I had about 3/4 of a "mini" size bag last night. Plus I gotta figure that even though popcorn is high glycemic, it DOES contain a fair amount of fiber and is therefore much much better than snacking on potato chips or pretzels. Popcorn is the only thing I've "cheated" with in the last 6 months, and because I really only consider it a "minor" cheat and because I know I can exercise portion control with it and because it truly is like eating "small piece of heaven", I don't every worry about it. Bottom line: Enjoy life, eat popcorn once in awhile, and DONT WORRY!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-04, 12:25

Stats: 304/249/175 Female 5'7
BF:don't/wanna/know
Progress: 43%

Jolly Time Popcorn makes the mini bags of popcorn. 10grams of carbs for the WHOLE bag. Popcorn has alot of fiber! Don't beat yourself up. Just make sure you can eat it in moderation.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 01:13

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do not consider popcorn to be a cheat this is a WOL and is one thing that i will continue to enjoy [occasionally!] Don't feel guilty...just enjoy your small treat...it probably did little IF ANY damage!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 01:51

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree, keep the treat small and on occassion. I adore popcorn and it will forever be a part of my life! And it hasn't hurt my weight loss a bit.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 02:30
Registered Member

Stats: 509/472/250 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I agree with everyone else! Don't be too hard on yourself - Popcorn is delicious ....oh great...now I have a craving....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 18:23

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I found out some information that would have been better if I read about it instead of experienced it....I had a really bad popcorn craving, but instead, I decided to eat a low carb candy bar. Then the next day, I ate another one, and then the next day, some low carb mints, well to say the least, this low carb candy has brought on some awful cravings for chocolate, and now I know that I have to eat NO MORE low carb candy. I should have just had another couple of cups of popcorn!!! That wouldn't have started the sugar cravings all over again!!! CRAP!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 02:34

BF:

Ah Ha!!...see? guilt free popcorn! [with no consequences..yum!]
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 16:58

Stats: 456/344/220 Male 6ft
BF:Yea, I have lots!
Progress: 47%
Default is pop coren really a nono?

I added the portion size up to see what was in a whole bag of microwave popcorn and the brand i have been buying for years only has 15 carbs in the whole bag? I would think hot air poped would be even lower? would it not
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 03:49

BF:

Nah...! Warning: Expert advice coming up!!

1.dont buy the microwave popcorn...trans fats!!!
2.Dont air pop popcorn!!! why??
3.pop the corn in either butter or olive oil, transfer to a bowl and melt more butter in the pan...pour popped corn back into pan..hold lid on firmly and shake vigorously to coat well!!
4.......now to steal MissScruffs idea! [sorry Scruffy ] You can now shake some parmesan cheese over and enjoy this finger licking good treat.

REMEMBER>>>>butter IS your friend!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 04:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
Nah...! Warning: Expert advice coming up!!

1.dont buy the microwave popcorn...trans fats!!!
2.Dont air pop popcorn!!! why??
3.pop the corn in either butter or olive oil, transfer to a bowl and melt more butter in the pan...pour popped corn back into pan..hold lid on firmly and shake vigorously to coat well!!
4.......now to steal MissScruffs idea! [sorry Scruffy ] You can now shake some parmesan cheese over and enjoy this finger licking good treat.

REMEMBER>>>>butter IS your friend!!

My husband won't touch microwave popcorn anymore! Eating it popped in olive oil and then the butter and parmesan is just awesome! I can hardly wait for Friday night so I can have another bowl!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 04:25

BF:

OOOOPPPSSS...thats it...our secrets out now scruffy!!! we're both closet popcorn gobblers!! AND proud of it!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 04:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
OOOOPPPSSS...thats it...our secrets out now scruffy!!! we're both closet popcorn gobblers!! AND proud of it!!

You bet and proud of it! I can think of worse things to be eating!!!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 04:54

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
You bet and proud of it! I can think of worse things to be eating!!!!!!!

To be honest, popcorn is actually one of the worst things you can eat. Its LOADED with TransFat, and is super high on the glycemic index. I would seriously avoid eating it all costs.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 05:40

BF:

I must not be able to find the correct information and am hoping that you can educate us. When we talk popcorn we are referring to popping it ourselves in olive oil and drizzling with real butter. Now the last two are allowed on Atkins and I know the popcorn is a bad carb but I thought most transfats came from foods being fried in certain kinds of foods. Now, if we are getting transfats then we really want to know, but I thought the worse we were doing here was having high carbs. Again, please educate us because if we are eating transfats then we definitely want to know. Thanks a bunch! Perhaps you are thinking about microwave popcorn?