Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-01, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

Hi there!

I just wanted to know how many of you who are losing/have lost a lot of pounds do exercise, what exercise and how important you really think it is...

I'm a couch potato and it takes all my willpower to drag myself to the gym. Is weight training better than aerobics? How many times aweek do you work out etc. etc.?

Thanks
Silvia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-01, 10:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Walking has been my best ally, 30-60 minutes a day, fast paced. I love weight training as well, I do it on and off.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-01, 18:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Technically, aerobic exercise gets yer heart rate up, and burns calories and some fat. Weight training builds muscle, and muscle burns fat even faster. In a perfect world, we'd be doing some of each in our daily workout.

If you've been sedentary, probably get started with something aerobic first, and walking is perfect. Check Prevention.com ... they have an excellent walking & fitness program, and they provide you with journal pages that you can save or print out to record your progress. Later, you can gradually start into the weight and resistance/strength type exercise. Again, prevention.com's site is good, although geared mostly for women. They do a good job to show proper form when lifting, and they also show you what NOT to do, so you don't hurt yourself.

I love hiking and walking outdoors, and this winter has been just awful ... the sidewalks are icy and unshovelled for the most part .... it's like walking on the surface of the moon!

Doreen
who definitely needs to exercise MORE ..
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-01, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i love walking. it's a must for me. my canine buddy insists on it. we haven't walked as much as usual this winter. we've had soooo much snow. it reminds me of winters when i was a kid. i also weight train 3 times a week. i do a simple routine that targets all major muscle groups and it only takes me about 15-20 minutes. i also do ab work everyday. if i don't, my back bothers me - sciatica.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 02:41
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:

My work out consist of 15 mins on a stationary bike and 40 mins on a X-trainer. This time seems perfect for me and I am having a good time with it... I do this 5 days a week and then after this work out I do weights. I don't spend much time here but enough to "feel it burn a bit" So far it seems I loose more inches faster by doing both intead of just one..... Expleshy in the major areas...
Good luck !!
Debbie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 08:54

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

I haven't really exercised much and still lost 35lbs. I try to get to the Y once or twice a week or go for a walk. Just started that recently though.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-01, 22:34

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I suck at exercising but trying

Wendy