Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 14:29

Plan: various
Stats: 385/357/240 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Dr. visit and candida.

Well I went to the dr. the other day and he says that I have hypothyroidism and he also suspect that I have candidas. I have to go back next week and get some blood work done to check for candidas. He prescribed Armour thyroid for the hypo and he says he will prescribe something for the candidas pending the test results. He was also talking about doing a food alergy test and some other things.

What do doctors normally prescribe for candidas?

Man I hope all of this stuff helps me because I have been feeling down and out for sometime now. The dr. had some positive words in regard to weightloss he says I will have no problem losing the weight I need. Once I get my thyroid and candidas in control plus continue LCing.

I hope he is right. Right now I just wish I could start feeling better.
yucca
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 16:19
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

#3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/125/121 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 85%

I just read an article last night in an old Woman's World magazine. February 3, 2004, that talked about candida. It talked about how lc can really help eleviate the symptoms and how yeasty foods make it worse and also add on the pounds. It said the foods to avoid are breads, beer, mold containing foods like blue cheese, wine, fermented foods like vinegar and soy souce, high sugar foods and refined carbs. It went on to say that when you eleminate these foods, it gives candida (which is an over grown yeast in your intestines) a chance to die down. It said when you start to feel better (usually 4 weeks or so) you could gradually add these things back into your diet one at a time. If one makes your symptoms return, then you know not to eat that one. (a food allergy)

It said that sometime Nystatin or Nizoral is perscribed. But it talked more about how food effects it. And how some medicines make it worse.

It did have a little quiz, too. Maybe you can find this issue at your local library.

Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:34

Plan: various
Stats: 385/357/240 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:

Well I had the blood test and they rate candidas on a scale of 1 to 5+ 1being the lowest and 5+ being the highest. They rated mine at a 2.

The dr. wants to put me on a comprehensive 90 day program to rid the candidas and then a 90day maintenace program.

Its a pretty costly program. I may have to go in a different direction.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 10:27

Plan: Weston Price
Stats: 185/152/140 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida

why don't you email me, I know someone who can help you
my email is peggysue6~cox.net

Last edited by pegsue : Sun, May-02-04 at 10:28. Reason: fix email
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 13:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Yuccabush:
Is this a REAL MD? a REAL doctor does NOT have a blood test for candida infections - no such accurate blood test exists. He is right about the possibility of your thyroid. Are you on medication for that yet? No doctor should be prescribing a "program" that is going to cost you bucks out of your pocket. That is a scam in and of itself.

I have been on Diflucan (for candida) and Synthroid (for my low thyroid function) for about 3 months and I'm a whole new person.
Nystatin is TERRIBLE for the fungus because it depresses your immune system and thereby lets the candida grow again....don't take Nystatin!

By the way, did the Doc give you a blood test for hypothyroid? A body temp test is an indicator but not an accurate enough test.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 17:15

Plan: Candida Elimination Diet
Stats: 130/110/115 Female 66 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 133%
Default Nystatin not so good? FloraStor? vsl3?

Hi Jeanne, Yours is the first post I've read that says the same thing my doctor says about Nystatin -- that it might work great at first but it risks making things worse later because it distresses the immune system.
He recommended FloraStor (a different yeast that gradually eats up the Candida,) and a pro-biotic called vsl3. Anyone try these?
Also, I don't understand why so many people are saying not to use probiotics while combating Candida, especially in the first phase. Shouldn't we be trying to fill the void -- restore the balance -- left by either the dying fungus or the dying bad bacteria?