Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 17:12

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Gary Taubes - have some of us gone beyond the point of no return?

I listened to a new Jimmy Moore podcast talk with Gary Taubes the other day and I found it kind of depressing. He sounded discouraged to me and kept talking about scientists/doctors in the past who got the carb thing right and then were forgotten and about people he thinks should know better who ignore his data and ideas.

The real kicker in this conversation for many of us is something he said about those of us who have been obese for a long time and are having a hard time losing, which is, I think, of interest to several of us.

He talked about some British researcher who was using low carb diets for his patients and found that the longer people have been obese, and especially women, restricting carbs just doesn’t seem to make a difference, or not much of a difference.

“And at that point the question is, can you starve yourself – restrict protein and carbs, or protein, fat, and carbs and will that be enough or is it just that these people’s systems are so chronically screwed up that they’ve gone beyond the point of no return.”

Then he talks about one reason his new book is about “How We Get Fat” is that he is stressing how to not get fat in the first place rather than how to lose the weight. He then goes on to say that for some people who have been obese for 20, 30 or more years there may be nothing they can do about it.

Well isn’t that just dandy. He and other low carb experts have been telling us for years that all we have to do is restrict carbs and we can lose weight ‘effortlessly”. Some of us have known for a long time that it just isn’t that easy for all of us, and finally one of them has admitted that fact.

If you don’t have time to listen to all of this he talks about this matter starting at about the 51:40 minute mark in the podcast.

Link
Sponsored Links