Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is a really interesting topic. I've suffered from depression as long as...well, I can remember. I've been on prozac and zoloft before, but they didn't really seem to help all that much....so I ditched them. I prefer not to take drugs anyway. My mood level is usually depressed with bouts of hyper, over optimism...lol...i guess I'm subconsciously trying to balance my self out

Once I started eating low carb, it really leveled out my moods. I still get depressed but not like I used to. I think part of it is the low carbs and the other is the confidence I feel from being proactive about my weight.

Gotbeer - I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones
...I don't believe in a typical "god," but I have epiphanies. I think epiphanies are just deep realizations about your own reality that bring your understanding to a more profound level.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:08

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I suffered mild depression and mood swings that only got worse as I got older. After trying many anti-depressants, none of which actually helped, I just gave up and lived with it which turned me into a virtual hermit since I couldn't stand having people around me cause they got on my nerves. Luckily, I didn't have to interact with a lot of people at work either. Then I had a stroke, which only worsened the depression and mood swings, but also added hopelessness to the mixture. Afraid to take medication, I lived this way for years. Suicide was in my thoughts often but I was too chicken to actually take the final step.
Then I started low carbing almost one year ago. I still can't believe how wonderful I feel, not only physically, but psychologically. I am a completely new personality. I laugh lots now, I'm actually happy, I am looking for a boyfriend (but not too aggressively) and I surprise my co-workers almost daily with my good cheer and enthusiasm.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:20

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I count myself lucky that I never took drugs to combat depression. That's mostly because I never sought help. However, since low-carbing (and I've been doing it now for over 2 years), I haven't needed "help."

Before low-carbing, I had a reputation for being the person not to ask for help (I was working on an information-systems helpdesk at the time). Now, even though I'm no longer doing that job, people seek me out for help because I am so pleasant.

Now, I'm not a different person. But like all the rest of you, low-carbing has given me the control over my emotions that I never had before. It is so liberating.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:39
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default A light in the darkness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Lots of "down" times. I'd lost both my parents to death by the time I was 21; the love of my life died when she was 24 (I was 26). I'm still single at 44 - again, I'm just reporting what life was like for me in the carb world.

Depression is a wicked hodgepodge. I can't believe in a god because I've experienced no epiphanies, and the illogic of emotional faith is closed to me. So it goes. (Thanks, so much, dear God, for my defective brain. Love that flogging of Jesus thing, though. Really inspiring to those of us whose pain is a low, long-term whimper, rather than a bloody couple of hours. Well done.)

The comments about my weight loss are coming almost daily now from those women I work with. It is hard to be depressed with so many affirmations from those I'm not supposed to be attracted to (but am, anyway).

You've done a tremendous job beating your depression. Speaking as one of many in your fan club, we admire your success and the knowledge you continuously share with us a great deal.

You know that despite the heavy trials you have faced in your life, gotbeer, you bring a great deal of light to a great many people perhaps as a result of those trials.

In effect, you have been flogged in your life experience by the loss of those whom you have loved, but despite that your positive energy is a light on this forum to so many of us, and apparently one in real life as well.

To see the miracles in life is only about looking into a new dimension--it's not about oohs and aahs and rituals. Whether or not you believe in god is immaterial. Miracles are around us every day-- when we are able to cope with adversity, and every single time we do something out of kindness or a spirit to help others or receive kindness or a hand up. The nature of the universe is mostly barren and lifeless, so every particle of light and positive thought is itself something to marvel on.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 15:31
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks to all of you for your responses - for once, I'm at a bit of a loss for words for expressing my appreciation.

But just a bit.

It is an honor and a joy for me to help out here. The evidence in our favor is mounting; we are winning in the hearts and minds of the public; the LC word is becoming more mainstream every day, and the increasing desperation of our LF opponents is comical proof of that. Any day now we'll be hearing about how LC leads to radiation poisoning, or terrorism, or warmongering. To call us depressed and cranky means you've studied carb withdrawal symptoms for about 3-4 days. You might as well argue against discontinuing narcotics, on the theory that narcotic withdrawal is unpleasant as well.