Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 19:31

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Question SomerSweet

Do any of you guys use this? I saw it on her web-site. It looks like it's made from fructose, and has some fiber in it. It says it has zero calories, but isn't fructose a form of fruit sugar?
Let me know, because I'm looking for a good natural sweetner. I'm currently using Stevia. I won't touch artificial sweetners like aspartame.
Thanks,
Carole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 19:36

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%

I just looked at the "quick links" to the right, and they have one on sweetners. They talk about fructose, and how it isn't so good for you. Interesting....
Carole
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 21:55

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't use any of her products. I love her recipes, adn the idea behind her diet (not eating carbs pro/fats) But I want to have a lifestyle that I am not buying special foods. So I don't buy protien shakes, protien bars or anything like that. I try to stick to the all natural veggies, meats, eggs adn cheese.

Sorry can't help you out with the somerSweet.

I think there might be a few other people on this board that has used somersweet before. Maybe they can help you out.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:11

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Fructose

I thought the same thing, so I did a little research. Fructose is the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit. It does not spike blood sugar, and thus insulin, anywhere near as much as other sugars. Because there is not very much of it in sommersweet (it is one of a number of ingredients) in small amounts it is not an issue. If you make things with a ton of Somersweet then Fructose, like any sweetener made from a real sugar, can bump your blood sugar levels a little. You'll notice that her recipes with tons of sweetener in them are nearly always "almost" level one.

Go to suzannesomers.com and look at the FAQs about Somersweet. Your question is one many people are asking, and she answers it on her site.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:31

BF:
Default Thanks for the tip Kelly!

I went and read the stuff about sweeteners on the side link here as you suggested. I am already a little leery of Suzanne's program because it is so very high in fat. Now I read that too much Fructose may increase triglycerides and cause blood cholesterol to increase.

The studies Suzanne quotes to back up her assertion that LC diets are safe, all focus on Atkins versus low fat diets. Not HER diet vs anything. I tend to go with less cream and butter than she suggests simply because it makes me sick. I favor lean meats, a touch of cooking oil rather than pools of butter, and whole milk where she suggests cream. I'm losing ok and I don't feel nauseated from all the fat.

I have a terrible sweet tooth though, so this artificial sweetener thing is always on my mind. So far I've found somersweet to have a terrible bitter taste when carmelized, but otherwise it's fine. I lilke Splenda too, but the Chlorine element in it makes me nervous. Moderation, as usual, is the key. I just wish my sweet tooth understood that!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:57

BF:

You hold the key MODERATION! That is the key to everything.

I do cut back a bit on the heavy cream and butters. And try to eat leaner cuts of meat. Just becuase Atkins alots fatty steaks, I still don't think I should be eating them everyday.
I try to have a little bit of everything for the week. I eat chicken, pork, tuna, eggs, and beef.

When I first lost all my weight LCing(lost over 50 pounds 4 yers ago...Now just trying to lose the last 10), everyone asked me how I did it...
I told them....lean meats and lots of veggies. And that is how i really did it. With an exception of cheese and little butter or fat here and there.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 18:09

BF:
Default Well you got my attention!

I went and looked at your pictures and was muy imressed! GOOD JOB!

I suspect I am overdoing the cheese and cream simply because I can make crunchy cheese chips and cream is so good on my decaf coffee and desserts etc. Plus it thickens a bit when I can't use flour or cornstarch in my sauces.

I'm in that last 10-15 pound range now too, so I suspect I'm going to have to be really strict to get down where I want to be. The first half came off without effort, but it's stall time...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 21:17

BF:

The last ten pounds is always the hardest!

Hang in there! You can do this!

My last 10+ has been a real struggle.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:08

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 175/175/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Artificial Sweeteners

I use Splenda for everything. It tastes just like sugar and is not aspartame or fructose. I even bake with it. It measures just like real sugar too

Kathleen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 22:07

BF:
Default I'vebeen doing that too.

And I love it, but I try not to overdo on any sweetener. Not sure about those chlorines...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:28

Plan: atkins/somersize
Stats: 154/149/127
BF:
Progress: 19%

Okay, I have bought somersweet a couple of times. Very expensive. It's not supposed to have an aftertaste, but it did to me. Also, it GAVE ME GAS!!! Anyway, I use Splenda and Sweet-N-Low (mostly Splenda). I try to limit use of sweeteners. I've also decided to limit cream to just a couple of times a week. Hoping the weight loss will pick up, along with not weighing everyday. I also have started weighing my portions occasionally. I love to eat, and although I don't gain weight, I've had a very tough time loosing. It's been a week and I feel like it may be working but I'm afraid to step on the scale. Best to not for now.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:29

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation somersweet good?

Take a look at this website... http://www.holisticmed.com/acek/

SomerSweet contains acesulfame K.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-05, 20:54

Plan: was Atkins, now Somersize
Stats: 187/175/140 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question

So you're saying you can substitute Splenda for SomerSweet? Cup for Cup? I am just now starting this WOE and would like to be able to make sweet stuff once in a while for a treat. I do NOT want to buy any "Name" brand products, though. I have been on Atkins for over a year and have pretty much avoided buying anything but the powdered shake mixes -- they were the only ones I liked. I just can't see paying so much more for something just because it has some celebrity's name on it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 21:33

Plan: m.d.diet
Stats: 263/222/160 Female 5ft 4and a half
BF:
Progress:

I have summersweet but I also use splenda. I find slenda is
less expensive and I like it better. It makes you wonder what
is really best in the long run!!!!!I like your discussions on these
things----keep them comming.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have seen that very, very lopsided account of acesulfame K before. MOST scientists at the more prestigious institutions such as Johns Hopkins and so on agree that the testing on Acesulfame K was not adequate, and used an older standard in order to scew the numbers to their favor. They also seem to agree that it is NOT harmless. But, they also agree that it probably isn't as dangerous as aspartame. I did look up the oligofructose, inulin (which is the sweetener in stevia) in somersweet. oligofructose is NOT the same as fructose, which as we know is the sugar in fruit. Oligo fructose seems to enhance beneficial bacterial in the intestines, always a good thing. SS claims that the acefulfame K is not deliberately added but a very very minor bit of left over "by products" from the chemical isolation of the other 2 ingredients. I don't know, but I do believe the amount is extremely miniscule in SS. I don't buy it because I think it is too expensive, especially the shipping is killer on both the SS website and also on HSN. But then I don't mind Stevia. it is an "acquired taste" sort of thing.
Donna