Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-07, 16:36

Plan: atkins for now
Stats: 280/209.4/160 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default who eats seafood and fish?

i have been lowcarbing since tuesday....mainly eggs, cheese and low carb veggies...
i REALLY want to lose my last 15---i need help! in the diet department!
so, what do ya'll think about me adding seafood and fish...who is a vegetarian and still eats this?
it feels like it is the healthiest decision...and i was also wandering if anyone gave it up and then added back in to lose wt and how do you feel?

TIA
edybean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ Low carb
Stats: 165/156.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 29%

You cannot be vegetarian and eat fish and seafood. So, if you did decide to do that you would not be vegetarian, you would be a Pescetarian

Its all up to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 20:47

Plan: atkins for now
Stats: 280/209.4/160 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 59%

well, thank you for clarifying that!
but what about the question i ask...
do you have any thoughts on that one?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 22:29

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Never mind the what-arian stuff, are you getting the nutrients you need? I have cut way back on intake of food from animal sources. That makes it a challenge to get enough B12, I, Zn, and Se. Seafood is a good source of iodine. Oysters are a major source of Zn. Many fish are a source of DHA and EPA, which are beneficial omega 3 fatty acids. Personally I supplement with B12, Zn, Se and fish oil so I am not forced to eat meat, and I can do so when I want. I get my iodine from sea vegetables.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 16:53

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I would be a vegetarian if I didn't have so many food sensitivities...simply because I like the meat substitutes better. However, I am limited with milk products and soy...I cannot have them as a meat substitute or protein alternative...so I added fish and seafood out of necessity...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 19:08

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 157.5/155/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I do eat fish and other seafood, but I have some serious doubts about its safety. Because of all the mercury and other pollutants in our waters, it seems those things are probably more dangerous than other meats.
All the appropriate supplements are readily available, especially if you live in or near a large city. Otherwise, you can get good quality from Swansons or other on-line supplement store.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 10:46

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotap
I do eat fish and other seafood, but I have some serious doubts about its safety. Because of all the mercury and other pollutants in our waters, it seems those things are probably more dangerous than other meats.

There are so many good sites for researching this. Rutger's Co-op Extension has a nice starting-point page for concerns about eating fish: "Seafood Safety: Assessing the Benefits and Risks." Bottom line with everything: choose carefully.

Low-fat and high-protein, tuna's been an inexpensive staple of the bodybuilder's cut for years.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 09:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/172/148 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Seafood and Vegetarianism

Quote:
Originally Posted by edybean
i have been lowcarbing since tuesday....mainly eggs, cheese and low carb veggies...
i REALLY want to lose my last 15---i need help! in the diet department!
so, what do ya'll think about me adding seafood and fish...who is a vegetarian and still eats this?
it feels like it is the healthiest decision...and i was also wandering if anyone gave it up and then added back in to lose wt and how do you feel?

TIA
edybean

Biologically, human's are omnivores. Our physiology evolved this way out of desperation. Now, with our society's abundance and the ready availability of all sorts of food, there's no reason to eat this way.

Realistically, our reasoning ability allows us to choose the best diet for ourselves, whether that be vegetarianism, veganism, etc.

Actually, if you want fish/seafood and have no moral, ethical, or taste preference problems with that, then eat seafood. But strictly speaking, that would make you a pescatarian, as someone else also remarked. Eating fish would certainly broaden your menu choices and increase your protein, minerals, and fatty acids, which are necessary aspects of any protein/low carb diet.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 213.4/194.7/176 Male 195cm
BF:30%/17%/<10%
Progress: 50%

I would say if you can get over the fact that animals are going to be killed whether you are a vegetarian or not (if that's why you are one) - it's much healthier to be a meat and fish eater. Not only the nutrients you miss out on but also the fact that it will be much easier for fat loss as you have a wider variety of products you can eat.

A lot of my vegetarian friends have recently converted back to the 'light'. For the following reasons - as they put it!

a) Their 'activism' isn't going to stop the meat industry
b) It's inconvenient for people when they go to dinner parties
c) It's unhealthy - missing out on a lot of minerals etc
d) Non meat, non carb = lots of fat - too much.

P.S. I have nothing against vegetarians lol - so don't take it as a insult or anything - am just being brutally honest.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 15:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual_
A lot of my vegetarian friends have recently converted back to the 'light'. For the following reasons - as they put it!
a) Their 'activism' isn't going to stop the meat industry

They thought that their own choice to not eat meat would stop the meat industry? That's not activism, that's just starry-eyed unrealistic.

Quote:
b) It's inconvenient for people when they go to dinner parties

Umm...when I go to a dinner party, someone is entertaining me. I had no idea the guests were supposed to make the evening 'convenient' for the hosts. Seriously, when I entertain or plan a menu, I always take into consideration things like dietary needs and preferences, allergies, etc. of the people I'm inviting. That's part of being a good host(ess). If you choose to maintain a special diet, whether that's low carbing, low fat, kosher or vegetarianism or some combination of any of those, well...that's your choice, and then you have to live your life within that choice. I don't base my dietary choices on my friends' convenience. But if someone consistently doesn't offer food I want to eat, then I make sure I meet my needs independently. No harm, no foul--and no inconvenience to either party.

Quote:
c) It's unhealthy - missing out on a lot of minerals etc

Okay, no idea what diets your vegetarian friends are/were following, but if their diets were 'missing out on a lot of minerals etc', then they needed to be better educated about healthy ways to be vegetarian. That, or find a good basic multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.

Quote:
d) Non meat, non carb = lots of fat - too much.

You really should take a look at Gary Taubes' newest book "Good Calories, Bad Calories." Read it, and then draw your own conclusions about the equation you just outlined.

Quote:
P.S. I have nothing against vegetarians lol - so don't take it as a insult or anything - am just being brutally honest.

Not insulted, but ...why on earth would you troll a vegetarian forum and refer to 'vegetarian friends coming back to the light?' if you didn't intend someone to respond, defending what you just put down?

Not intending to insult or anything...I'm just being brutally honest. It is what it is.