Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 10:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Please....Help me decide on this WOE for life!

Hi ,
My name is Jo Ann and I am thinking seriously of beginning one of the Low carb diets Jan. 1, 2002.
However, I already have a concern and my concern is:
After I work very hard to lose this weight (appx. 40 pounds) will I ever be able to have a bite of potato, rice, pasta, or a fruit without gaining all of my weight back?
What do you "Maintenance People" limit yourself to as far as the amount of Carbs you allow yourself to not GAIN your weight back? Is it say 60-65 carbs?
I don't have any problem knowing I can lose this 40 pounds on a low carb diet, but I am concerned about Maintaining it for life. I know you can understand my concerns?
I would very much appreciate any and all of you Maintenance people please fill me in on your thoughts about this concern of mine.
If you would like to e-mail me that is GREAT!
JoAnnAtkinson~juno.com
I would like to thank you for your time in advance!
Jo Ann Atkinson in TEXAS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 12:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default welcome Joanne!

Im sure there are others that have been maintaining longer than me.....for me over 3 months now....but let me say I have never been more satified with my way of eating. What I mean is I have tried to lose weight doing the low-fat thingy...but I was always hungry...hence the weight gain when I would indulge. When I am hungry now I eat. For everyone how many grams of carbs they can eat without putting on weight is different. I dont actually do a day to day carb count anymore..its more over a week. Some days I am eating at least 60 and others I still am down around 10. I realize I still have a lot to learn aout how to make this WOL most eefective for me BUT this is a WOL and so I know I have lots of time to learn. I have had potatoes, corn on the cob a couple times. I do eat fruit at least 2x a week...either strawberries or apples...and I smother them in cream,,,lol Im postive U will be most happy with this WOL too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 17:02

BF:
Talking G.Wilson.........thanks for the adivce.

Howdy GWilson,
I want to thank you for responding. I know you can understand my fears about WILL I BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN MY LOSS, WHEN I DO GET IT OFF?
I know that most diets are the easiest part, it is the Maintaining that is so difficult.
Your numbers show you have really done well. I am very proud for you. How long did it take you to lose over 40 pounds? Were you pretty much loyal or did you cheat sometimes? Just wondering how you did so well
I wish you the best of luck on your maintenance program. I plan to start one of the Low carb diets Jan. 1, 2002. I didn't think it would do any good to start right here before Christmas. So, I will have all of my foods ready for January 1!
Any suggestions you have that you might share that helped you lose your weight would be most appreciative!

Thank you Again!
Jo Ann Atkinson in TEXAS
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:18

BF:

Im still learning soooo much about this WOL....as for cheating i have to admit that no I never did. I would occassionaly have something planned that wasnt neccessarily low carb tho. And here is a way of looking at it. U will see posts from LC Sponge [that girl has such wisdom] She said when we eat something that is WAY off track we cant consider it cheating. Cheating implys we are doing something to make overselves "be better" than other people. When we eat something we shouldnt we are either just harming ourselves...or if it is planned then we are just taking a diversion. After the holidays I would suggest removing anything that is really tempting to U. Make sure U get a really good multivitamin. and drink LOTS of water. Joanne Im sure U will be able to do this...Be patient with yourself and read lots on the low-carbing subject.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:46

BF:
Smile Thanks for your reply!

Hi GWilson,
I am reading everything I can get my hands on. However, I really don't understand all of the medical talk in those books!
After fooling with the WW again for about 2 1/2 months, I just had blood work done. Cholesterol was 204 !!! The bad end was 143 and it should be 100 or below. That goes to show you that lots of potatoes, rice, and pastas don't do a thing to help one's cholesterol! I told the nurse that I plan on going on a low carb diet and she said that the doctor does not recommend it. I informed her that I wasn't sure why some doctors recommend the low carb and some do not.
My thought on that is: That those that don't recommend it, they have not took the time to read up on the low carb diets. And are fearful someone would sue them.
Wel, Dr. Atkins has been in business now for over 30 years. And I am sure if anyone was going to get sued off of the earth, it would have been him. He still sells books by the thousands!
I have to admit, I do get concerned when my own doctor tells me that he does not recommend the low carbing/high protein diets, but, for instance, my sister's doctor does recommend.
GWilson, what is your thoughts about the doctors mostly not recommending this WOE?
Jo Ann here in TEXAS struggling
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:04

BF:
Default Hi again!

LOL ok so I was up cleaning my bathroom when I realized U asked how long it took to lose the weight. 1st let me introduce myself properly..LOL I F 37 married 2 kids and my name is Gale. Now, I was a chubby kid..not real bad ya know just chubby. When I was 11 I had problems with my knees so it limited my activitied. I likely put on 20 pouns that yr. So when I was barely 13 I went on a crash diet...eating maybe 900 calories a day. WHOOOOSHH ya the weight came off...but went back on.. started my history with yo-yo diets and diet pills. After the birth of my daughter 13 yrs ago it was thought I had fibromyalgia [since know that I have had it as a kid] I went on meds and my weight balloned to about 240. Once I go my health under control I was able to take some of the weight off. It was April 2nd of this yr that I read Dr. As book and started this WOL immediately. I am off my meds and I basically have put myself in remission. My doc doesnt realy understand low-carbing but because he sees how well I am doing he is impressed. It is my impression that alot of Docs dont want to encourage a low-carbing life style simply because if too many people get healthy from it..where does that leave them???? LOL ok sorry for rambling, hope this helps some.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:19
Registered Member

Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default doctors

I think most individual doctors are just ignorant of the science and the details of low carb eating. Also, they trust the medical establishment, which preaches low fat. I think individual doctors would change their minds if they had time to eduate themselves.

On the other hand, I think the medical establishment (and the FDA) have more of a stake in believing that we really NEED all those statins and other expensive prescription drugs and NEED to keep eating all the grain, corn, and potatoes the farmers are growing. And when you want to believe something, it is easy to make yourself believe it. So they keep putting out guidelines and statements criticising low carb.

Just my opinion.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 15:38

BF:
Smile Thank you for your response!

Hi Gale and Heeligan2,

I agree with both of you about doctors. I really don't think they would take the time to even study the low carb......they would much rather be on a Golf course. LOL

And if we get ourselves healthy by doing this WOE, then they lose patients. I personally don't think they really care.

I have informed my doctor, which is an unbeliever in the Low Carb diet that I am going on it the 1st of the year. And I will expect more blood test in about 3-4 months. Then if my tests are better, than they were this time, maybe that will make a believer out of him?????? Who knows? We must remember ..........Doctors put their pants on the same way we do! LOL LOL The don't intimidate me at all!

Thanks again for ya'lls repsonses!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 14:45

BF:

U have an excellent attitude Joanne!!! I will bet U will be pleasantly surprized with your tests when U get them the next time. I mean keep in mind what U have been doing must have cause the negative test right? So u need to radically change what U have been doing. By low-carbing...eating lots of rich foods U will do that!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 17:43

BF:
Smile Hi GWILSON

I sure hope my next set of blood work tests will improve.

I wish the Holidays were done and over so I could begin. I just thought it was silly to begin any kind of a diet right here at Christmas!

Come the 1st, however, I am starting on the 2 weeks Atkins induction, then I will see from there where I will go?

Thanks for your responses,
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 17:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Joanne - there is no "silly time" to make an improvement in your life.

There will be next Christmas and the one after that, and God willing, many more. You will have to cope with all of them.

I decided that low carb was for me at 8:30 in the morning, by noon I had the book and by dinner I was a low carber. That was almost 2 years ago.

There's no "getting off" this WOE, it's for life. That's what makes it so easy.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 08:02

BF:
Default I agree!

Hi LCS,

I agree with you about just plunging in and "doing it"! But, I am trying to get sister to do this with me, for her heatlh, and I promised her I would wait until after Christmas.

I have been buying my foods, reading books, drinking water, gettting prepared!

Thank you so much for your response, and if it were just me doing it alone, I would have done just like you did.

LCS, do you find maintaining your weight difficult? Don't you get tired of the same old foods? I was just wondering? I lost about 25 pounds before on the Atkins, and gained it immediately back. Of course, I know I did it incorrectly, but I am wondering how someone like you is maintaining your weight and not getting sick of meat?

Hope to hear from you again soon!
Jo Ann in TEXAS

Last edited by JoAnnAtkin : Tue, Dec-18-01 at 07:22.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 09:46

BF:
Default morning Johanne

I just read your last post and thought I would tell U my experience with maintainence. When U are in a maintaining mode it actually can be fun. U can add different foods slowly to see how well they react with your body and weight. I eat a lot of apples now...high in carbs but great fiber. I also dont fret as much about everything I eat which has meant attending these christmas parties easier. I love meat always have...meat has always been what I planned my meal around so I dont find it hard. This wol is a learning experience and I figure it will take me a long time to understand everything and how much of certain things I can eat.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:02

BF:
Smile Thanks GWilson!!!!

I am so proud for you that you have reached your maintance level! Good for you!

I hope that I will be successful and have fun too, trying to figure out what carbs I can add and which I cannot add.

Last time I was on Atkins, I blew it after 25 pounds and ate about 15 loaves of the Hot Friendship yeast Bread!!!!!!!! Stupid, I know now..............WHAT I FOOL I WAS!!!!!!!!! Now I am paying for it.

So, this time, I promise I am going to go at it with a different attitude that this Low Carbing will be a WOL for me! Not a quick fix!

I can tell this forum will help me a whole lot. I am so glad I found you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your response!

Jo Ann getting my act together here in TEXAS
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 12:26

BF:
Default thanks

This forum has been wonderful for me too. I can see everyone else has same struggles as I do and thats comforting. I wont actually think myself successful until I have kept the weight off a year..so I have about 8 months to go. I want to tell U aswell, that the biggest reason people give up on any program is GUILT. ALL of us have gone astray from our strick low-carbing but the key thing is to stay in control. Dont feel bad about putting on 3 pounds when as soon as U drink the water and eat properly the weight will come off. That has been the hardest thing for me....just to realize I can have some "goodies" but stay in control. And thank U Joanne..U seem like an awesome person and I know U will give me the encouragement when I need it.