Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:52

Plan: PP
Stats: 295/295/180
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Let's talk about ketosis

I have had trial runs of LCing a few times, with CAD, and had some successful results. I am hoping to make a final run at it soon, stick with it for good and a new WOL.

I have read many different plans, and feel that Protein Power is probably the best for me. However, I don't really want to kick myself into ketosis, which I think generally happens at 30 carbs and less/day, right? I'm not concerned at all that it is harmful, I know that it burns fat quickly etc., I just want a more moderate, less extreme WOE, that I can share with my family and go the distance with. I know other plans, such as "Life Without Bread" advocate up to 75 carbs/day, so there is a wide range out there.

What do you think about following PP at the "transition" level of 50 carbs/day. As you can see I am currently at a pretty fatal level of weight, so it seems to me that even if I eat up to 50 carbs a day, and follow the rest of the healthy eating plan, I would still be doing my body and my health a tremendous favor.

Starfyshie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:37

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default in the long term, that's just fine!

I think in the long term, 50 grams of carbs (not including fiber) a day is just fine...in the long term.

I do think it is important to do the Phase I (30 grams) in the beginning, following the Drs guidelines as to when to go to Phase II (upping the carbs).

But the good news is, by definition, the Phase I portion is TEMPORARY. You will not and should not need to restrict carbs at that level forever. So in the short term, it'll be harder planning meals for the family. But again...temporary.

Short term sacrifices for long term gains (or losses in this case!).

I think, in general, Phase I of Protein Power is ketogenic. Maybe not for everyone, but on average YES. Definitely for me. I wouldn't be concerned one way or the other about ketosis.
Just follow the plan in the book, and you'll be solid!

I know there are many that remain on Protein Power Phase I through the duration of their weightloss. But if the docs say you can up the carbs...I don't see why we should be so afraid to do so. Maybe it'll slow weightloss down a little...but who cares as long as it's going in the right direction!

The only thing you can really do is experiment with the plan FOR YOU...after Phase I. Tailor it to your and your family's needs. That's the only way you'll be able to maintain the plan for life.

-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 10:29

Plan: shwarzbein/protein power
Stats: 165/135/125
BF:
Progress: 75%

If you are concerned about ketosis and want a gradual plan, look at the schwarzbein program. The two plans are somewhat similar but there is a higher carb allotment on Schrzbein at least initially. Good way to ease into eating this way. My family had no complaints when I started them eating that way. It is a long term wol though. The weight will not fall off as quickly, wieght loss is actually a side effect of what she is trying to achieve; healthy adrenal glands and insulin sensitivity. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 19:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/198/178
BF:27/25/18
Progress: 5%

Why not try 50 carbs a day for week or so and see if you lose any weight. If so then maybe that's the way to go. As long as your losing!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-carb
Stats: 146/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/24%/20%
Progress: 72%

I've been eating 50-60 carbs/daily and have lost weight plenty quickly. How much/fast you lose on a certain amount of carbs depends on your metablolism, how much exercise you get, etc. Try it and see how it goes. You may find that you don't need to go any lower.
The nice part of being in ketosis, however, is that appetite and carb cravings are drastically diminished. (I have the sticks and I can smell my breath so I know I've been in ketosis pretty steadily this whole time).
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/159/150
BF:32%
Progress: 64%

When I drink closer to a gallon of water a day my breath is much better and the ketstics register much lighter. It's possible to dilute the concentration of Ketones while you are still burning a lot of fat. I heard that in some parts of the country "Breads for life" has some really low cab bread. There seven grain organic sprouted bread back east has 6 carbs with 2or four of them being fiber. I've heard they are quite good. In our part of the country the carbs for the same bread is much higher. (15 with 4 fiber) I called the headquarters and they confirmed this so read the label and maybe you will get very lucky.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:34

Stats: 245/239/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Breads For Life?

This sounds like an interesting product. Is it available via mail order?

Also, while in Florida, I bought 8 carb bagels at a local health food store. Does anyone have a recipe for lo-carb bagels?

And, finally, in the new Atkins cook book, a baking ingredient is termed "whey protein" I seem to be only able to find this term as it is applied to flavored protein (choc, strawberry, vanilla) powder. What does he mean by this?

Thanks girls and guys if you have any answers for me.

((Edited by Kristine - no posting email addresses, as per forum rules.))
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 08:06

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I do an atkins with an emphasis on protein. For my DH who is not on this WOE, I make him one additional food each night. (potatoes, pasta french fries, and buns for burgers/brats) This way he is getting a good bit of protein (he could gain a little weight, so it is good for him!) and a lot of veggies. He doesn't get too upset with it, and gets sandwhiches, cookies and carrots for lunch still. It works good because we can still both eat the way we want. I eat about 25-30 carbs a day, and just got into ketosis. I don't notice the smell, but I drink gallons of water it seems! It doesn't seem like ketosis is hurting me in anyway, I have a ton of energy and feel better than ever!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayburn
....And, finally, in the new Atkins cook book, a baking ingredient is termed "whey protein" I seem to be only able to find this term as it is applied to flavored protein (choc, strawberry, vanilla) powder. What does he mean by this?
The whey protein referred to in the recipe is indeed the whey protein isolate sold in health food and sports nutrition stores. Many brands are available in a plain, unflavoured version; this is what you would use in recipes. Mind you, some folks might enjoy a chocolate "pancake" or whatever ...

If you don't see it on the shelf, ask .. I'm sure they'd be happy to order it for you.

Doreen