Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-22-24, 17:49

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Brain Risks Drop When Diet Includes More Minimally Processed Foods

Quote:
A diet high in ultra-processed foods upped the risk of cognitive impairment or stroke, data from the prospective REGARDS study showed.

However, risk of either cognitive decline or stroke fell for people who had higher intake of unprocessed or minimally processed foods, reported W. Taylor Kimberly, MD, PhD, of Harvard Medical School in Boston, and co-authors.

A 10% increase in relative intake of ultra-processed foods raised the risk of cognitive impairment by 16% (HR 1.16, P=1.01 × 10−5) and stroke by 8% (HR 1.08, P=1.12 × 10−2), Kimberly and co-authors wrote in Neurologyopens in a new tab or window. A 10% increase in unprocessed or minimally processed foods reduced cognitive impairment risk by 12% (HR 0.88, P=1.83 × 10−4) and stroke risk by 9% (HR 0.91, P=2.13 × 10−4).

https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurology/dementia/110285
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-23-24, 00:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Ultra-processed foods could damage your brain, Harvard study says

Quote:
Ultra-processed foods could damage your brain, Harvard study says

Scientists link consumption of such foods with memory problems, stroke and dementia and suggest production methods are to blame, not just calorie content

Eating lots of ultra-processed foods could harm brain health, according to a large trial linking the products to stroke and dementia.

Middle-aged adults were more likely to report memory problems if their diet was mainly composed of mass-produced items such as fizzy drinks, burgers, cakes and sweets.

The risk of suffering a stroke also increased as people ate more of the foods, with the research concluding that “food processing plays an important role in overall brain health”.

The study, published in the journal Neurology, argued that ultra-processed foods appeared to be inherently harmful due to the way they were manufactured, rather than simply damaging health because they were high in calories. Researchers warned that industrially produced foods, which are high in additives, can disrupt gut bacteria and lead to inflammation in the body linked to several chronic diseases.

Data from 30,000 people across 11 years

Scientists at Harvard Medical School looked at data from more than 30,000 adults aged 45 and over who were followed for 11 years. They filled out questionnaires about what food they ate and were divided into four groups ranging from those who ate the most processed foods to those who ate the least processed foods.

By the end of the study, 1,108 participants had had a stroke and 768 had been diagnosed with cognitive impairment — signs of early memory loss linked to dementia.

The risk of memory problems was 16 per cent higher in those who ate a greater proportion of ultra-processed foods compared with those who ate a largely unprocessed diet with lots of fresh fruit or vegetables. The risk of stroke increased by 8 per cent the more highly processed food people ate, regardless of how many calories they ate in total.

The findings were adjusted to take into account other factors that influence dementia and stroke risk, such as age, sex and high blood pressure.

Dr William Taylor Kimberly, lead author of the study, said: “We found that increased consumption of ultra-processed foods was associated with a higher risk of both stroke and cognitive impairment.

“Our findings show that the degree of food processing plays an important role in overall brain health. More research is needed to confirm these results and to better understand which food or processing components contribute most to these effects.”

Growing body of evidence highlighting risks

In a linked editorial, Dr Zhendong Mei, from Harvard Medical School, said that the reasons why ultra-processed foods were associated with poorer brain health were not yet fully understood. He said that additives and emulsifiers had been “associated with disruptions in the gut microbial ecosystem and inflammation”, and the foods were also high in sugar and calories, which can damage blood vessels.

The findings add to a growing body of evidence linking ultra-processed food to heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, cancer, depression and diabetes, with campaigners calling for restrictions to be placed on their marketing.

Ultra-processed foods make up more than half of the typical daily diet and they are typically low in fibre and nutrients and high in calories. The food is typically sold ready made and in packages, and is subjected to a series of sophisticated industrial processes, including splitting whole foods into oils, fats and sugar and then recombining them.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-says-2d3dxhb99
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-23-24, 05:18

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

THERE. Simple and easy to remember and it's got Harvard in the name. As good as it generally gets, and I'll take it.

This also supports Dr. Ede's new book on brain health. Another Harvard study, 80% improvement in both schizophrenia (once nicknamed the bread disease, let's not forget) and bipolar, where the treatment is even less something to brag about.

80% improved, some of them all the way into remission. Just from food. Real food. Dr. Ede has me in the middle of the science in her book, and everything does start with the right food for our brain, which is the right food for the rest of us, too.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-23-24, 09:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
A 10% increase in relative intake of ultra-processed foods raised the risk of cognitive impairment by 16%

~snip~

A 10% increase in unprocessed or minimally processed foods reduced cognitive impairment risk by 12%

Quote:
Scientists at Harvard Medical School looked at data from more than 30,000 adults aged 45 and over who were followed for 11 years. They filled out questionnaires about what food they ate and were divided into four groups ranging from those who ate the most processed foods to those who ate the least processed foods.

By the end of the study, 1,108 participants had had a stroke and 768 had been diagnosed with cognitive impairment — signs of early memory loss linked to dementia.

The risk of memory problems was 16 per cent higher in those who ate a greater proportion of ultra-processed foods compared with those who ate a largely unprocessed diet with lots of fresh fruit or vegetables. The risk of stroke increased by 8 per cent the more highly processed food people ate, regardless of how many calories they ate in total.

The findings were adjusted to take into account other factors that influence dementia and stroke risk, such as age, sex and high blood pressure.

Dr William Taylor Kimberly, lead author of the study, said: “We found that increased consumption of ultra-processed foods was associated with a higher risk of both stroke and cognitive impairment.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I think highly processed foods don't have anything to do with the risks of dementia and stroke - but even considering things like age, sex and high BP... it doesn't always work out like that.

My parents are a prime example of how it sometimes works out the exact opposite.

Dad loved his ice cream, cookies, candy, cake, and bread. But he still ate mostly plain, unadulterated meats, mostly beef (until at some point mom started serving him chicken and fish cooked in olive oil most of the time to "protect his heart"), and plain unadulterated vegetables (albeit a rather limited selection) with real butter. He drank whole milk pretty much every day of his life. He had normal BP (or what was considered normal back then) He died at 77 from a heart attack after having a very mild stroke maybe 2 years earlier... but his mind was still intact.

Mom didn't eat ice cream or drink milk (dairy caused a lot of gastric distress), ate minimal cookies, and ate potatoes (considered to be unprocessed) far more than bread. She did love sugar, but not so much in candy form - she made cakes, often from what was considered to be minimally processed ingredients (oats, zucchini, dried fruit), but still limited how much she ate in the way of sweets (trying to keep her weight under control) She switched to using margarine sometime in the 1970's since it was non dairy, and supposedly healthier than butter, but used very tiny amounts of it. But other than that, they ate the same meats and veggies. Very low BP her entire life. She lived to just a few weeks shy of 93, after about 15 years of ever worsening dementia/Alzheimer's symptoms.

Overall, they both consumed far less highly processed food than it seems most people eat these days, and far more minimally processed food than most people eat these days.

The conclusion of this study is based on relative risk associated with specific dietary tendency categories. In every set of data supporting a certain risk, there will always be outliers though. I just happen to be closely related to 2 who seemed to be outliers.

But perhaps if Dad had lived another 10-15 years he would have exhibited severe dementia too.

And perhaps if mom had been able to eat ice cream and had been more carefree about how many cookies she ate, she would have also had a stroke, dying of a heart attack at a much younger age and avoided the years of dementia.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-24-24, 03:26

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am impressed because this is a more rigorous study than we get from such data. One thing about people who have trouble with dairy is that it can be early signs of gluten intolerance. That's how it worked for me. Not eating gluten gave me back excellent dairy digestion.

Which is pertinent because it is so important about getting calcium. Still a popular & good for you fat, even for those who can't tolerate milk. But so many people now avoid dairy and where are they getting calcium? Not from those nut milks and piles of leafy greens.

Just supporting how Calianna is pointing out the outliers, and I think there's far more genetic variability and gene expression than we used to think, which has also not caught up in many science fields.

But since it was eleven years long, and the fact that it was grouped into four mega-groups, I'm thinking people were kind of trained to report better than "here's a bunch of people we asked to think back to what they ate..." And the groupings make it more of a meta analysis.

Also, how it works both ways. More UPF should mean less Whole foods, and the stats support the diet composition theory followed across a population sizeable enough for form a Bell Curve. That's when you know your sampling is big/long enough.

From my own experience, my Burnout did last years and my thinking was challenged, but organizing my food plan from Jan 2019 to now kept me alive and now improving brain function. To the point that I drafted a new book in NINE days, 50,000 words.

I couldn't have done it YOUNGER, I know that! So my years of experience are finally paying off as my brain recovers from -- the last few years, right?

I do think I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't started back when.