Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-22, 13:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default When will anti-keto retoric STOP

https://www.health.com/weight-loss/...et-side-effects

7 side effects of keto

A diet not well studied

--------------

When will this ignorant crap stop. Keto is well studied. Total carnivore is not well studied and even Atkins at the lowest recommends real vegetable matter adding up to 20 carbs. Carnivore has its place IMHO as a cure or treatment for many many autoimmune issues and GI malfunction as in leaky gut. IMHO the microbial life and it's benefits are of concern as those are tied to mental health as well as overall health. Needs more deliberative studies

Otherwise I call BS to the posted article. We know how to work with a keto diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-22, 14:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I feel dumber for having read that article!

Almost all of the reasons are generally temporary (keto flu, diarrhea, higher cholesterol), not true (risk of ketoacidosis in T2 diabetic, muscle loss), or true of any diet (weight regain when you revert to previous eating habits).

And the whole low fiber canard! Whole grain breads and pastas (the examples given) do not contain much fiber. Get enough magnesium and you don't need fiber anyway.

Unsustainability is always a ridiculous charge. People do not adhere over long periods of time to a low fat or low calorie or portion control diet. Keto/low carb is, in fact, the only "diet" I have ever stayed on long term.

Acceptance of keto as healthy is still very slow.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-22, 04:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

That article is just more of the same old nonsense that's been spread around for years. I've been on low-carb ketogenic eating plans for 20 years and after a few weeks of low energy, when my body was adjusting to bring fats for energy, I've had no problems and feel much more energetic.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-10-22, 05:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

There was a recent article in the Telegraph having a go at keto. The comments section is wonderful with the majority extolling the benefits of keto!

Quote:
Deliciously Ella: 'The keto diet is ridiculous – no wonder people are confused by wellness'

Now the head of a £60 million business, Ella Mills' new podcast will investigate the fads and trends of an industry she helped to create

I wonder what she thinks of Keto? The “clean-eating” of the moment, with the word splashed across cookbooks the world over.

“It’s ridiculous,” Mills lets rip. “It was created in Australia for specific medical reasons for ~children with extreme epilepsy. In those situations, clinically supervised – fine. However it is not a diet that would be good for most adults. It deprives you of all fibre, which we know we need for our gut and is key to so much of our health.”

It owes its popularity to being seen as as a tool for weight loss, rather than health, Mills says: “If that’s something you need, then under medical guidance it can be a great thing. Should we translate that to every adult in the population? No, that’s a terrible idea.”

She still follows a plant-based diet. It works for her. She certainly looks healthy: slim but not skinny. She doesn’t think everyone needs to go plant-based, indeed what she loves about the phrase is literally the word “based”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/l...queen-wellness-
debunking-myths-fad-diets-unsexy/
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Something that works is what all the diet hucksters are afraid of.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 07:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
"It's an issue with any fad diet, but it seems to be extra common with ketosis," said Kizer. "When people tell me they want to try it because their friends lost weight, I always tell them, 'Just watch, I almost guarantee that they'll gain it all back.'"

True with most any "diet". Learning how to eat properly for fuel and maintenance, and putting that plan into action, is much harder than finding a hack to maintain a significant calorie deficit in this writers opinion. There's nothing magical about Keto, Carnivore, Vegan or the next True Way.

Tuff puzzles to continuously solve as change is inevitable.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 16:12

BF:

I'd been on the Atkins diet for several years when my husband and I attended a funeral where we saw relatives we hadn't seen in a while.

They whispered to my husband that I "looked really good," and he said "Yes, Atkins." And he also mentioned how long I'd been on it. They thought it was amazing.

But I'm sure if asked, they would say, "I couldn't live without bread."
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 16:46

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Something that works is what all the diet hucksters are afraid of.
And Big Pharma and Big Agra
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-22, 10:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

What's missing from most of these articles quoting the "expert of the day" on diets is that to eat in a manner to achieve health requires a lifestyle change one must commit to to get sustained results. Most think they can drop weight using one method and then fuggetaboutit. Surprise, no. That's not the way it will ever work. Sacrificing bread, potatoes, and comfort food is never temporary, as poor health always comes back. That's why there are so many who state that low carb or keto approaches "are not sustainable." They have no clue that many have succeeded with the necessary lifestyle changes embracing healthy and delicious food.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-22, 11:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
That's why there are so many who state that low carb or keto approaches "are not sustainable." They have no clue that many have succeeded with the necessary lifestyle changes embracing healthy and delicious food.

Which we all know would be so much easier to accomplish if the surrounding society supports these lifestyle changes.

And stops lying about what comprises health food. But then, I want to write science fiction, don't I?