Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 09:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Dealing with cravings

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...1211190021.htm#

N
Quote:
ew review of scientific studies confirms food cravings can be reduced

Food craving, the intense desire to eat certain foods, can sabotage efforts to maintain healthy eating habits and body weight, no matter the time of year.

However, an examination of 28 current peer-reviewed scientific studies largely substantiates findings that changes in diet, prescription medications, physical activity and bariatric surgery reduce craving, said Candice Myers, PhD, assistant professor -- research at LSU's Pennington Biomedical Research Center.

"Craving influences what people eat and their body weight, but there are some components of our behavior and diet that we do have control over," Myers said. "Being mindful of these desires gives us more control of them." Myers was the lead author of "Food Cravings and Body Weight: a Conditioning Response."

For example, one proven way to reduce the longing for a certain food is to eat it less frequently. In other words, it's better to remove something from your diet than to try to eat smaller helpings of it.

"The upside of craving is that it is a conditioned response that you can unlearn," said John Apolzan, PhD, director of Pennington Biomedical's Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism Laboratory. "It's not easy, but it can be done."

Other takeaways from their review included that:

Losing weight reduces food craving. Beware exercise can increase cravings. Cravings account for as much as 11 percent of eating behavior and weight gain, more than genetics currently explains. Many obesity drugs -- phentermine, lorcaserin, semaglitude and liraglitude among others -- reduce craving.

Different demographic and socioeconomic groups may have different responses to food cravings. But little is known about these potential differences, and more investigation is needed.

"Food craving is an important piece of the weight-loss puzzle. It doesn't explain weight gain 100 percent," Myers said. "A number of other factors, including genetics and eating behavior, are also involved."

Losing weight reducing food craving... that one almost got me to stick this in the War Zone. My own experience is that the leaner I get, the more ketogenic/non-insulinogenic my diet needs to be to avoid cravings and binges. Even then--if I steer what cravings do show up towards say brazil nuts and pecans, versus higher carb nut and nut-like foods like peanuts, cashews, and pistachios, things generally go better. That is, it's not like I'm never a bit hungrier or food-lusty, sticking to foods that will minimally increase my insulin, or decrease my ketones, or however this is working, gives me a better outcome.

So my personal list of things that increase cravings/binges--weight loss, exposure to craveworthy foods, a non-ketogenic diet, exercise (not working out, but long walks etc.), being short on sleep, alcohol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5529244/

Quote:
Frequency of consuming foods predicts changes in cravings for those foods during weight loss: The POUNDS Lost Study

This was probably included in the review, might be the source for claims that both weight loss and reduction in food frequency reduced cravings. So how did they measure cravings? They asked people, while they were dieting, whether they were craving. People who'd lost more weight reported less craving for fast food, more for fruits and vegetables. Obvious conjecture here that a diet that reduced cravings might drive the weight loss, rather than the other way around. That certainly works for me, switch to a less insulinogenic diet, I'll tend to lose weight, maybe have a decreased appetite/cravings until my weight settles at a new low. Being in a state conducive to weight loss, rather than weight loss itself, does reduce cravings for me.
Sponsored Links