Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 19:11

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Have you taken d-ribose? Does it affect your blood sugar?

Hi all!

I've been thinking about taking d-ribose. (I believe one brand is Corvalen.) But I've heard it's a sugar, and since I have insulin resistance/hypoglycemia, I'm unclear as to what affect it would have. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 11:45

BF:

Some info I found about it:

<<D-Ribose is a sugar (derived from glucose) that has been shown to boost levels of the energy compound ATP. Some studies have shown that CFS patients have lower than normal levels of ATP and D-Ribose could be used to increase energy production in the muscles and heart.
The increased levels of ATP may help relieve fatigue by provide the muscles with extra energy. D-Ribose also helps the body to recycle ATP, and use its own energy it has more efficiently.>>

It goes on to describe a study of 36 patients, most of whom showed improvement. (At http://www.chronicfatiguetreatments...ments/d-ribose/ .)

There is a little bit of discussion of effects on blood sugar in the replies.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 18:27

BF:
Default More info I found...confusing!

Still looking for the effects of ribose (d-ribose) on blood sugar. A few snippets I found that seem to contradict one another:

From http://www.herbsmd.com/detail/best-...bose-42906.htm:

"Ribose is a “sugar” distinct from glucose. It does not raise blood sugar levels or lead to diabetes."

From http://www.raysahelian.com/ribose.html :

"A small amount of ribose as a pill, liquid or powder may not make much of a difference on blood sugar levels, but a larger amount could."

From http://www.jescollection.com/articl...41383/85248.htm :

"Because of the important difference between how the body uses common six-carbon sugars and the five-carbon carbohydrate, ribose, the blood sugar does not go up when ribose is consumed. Click on the abstract below to learn more about this unique metabolic property of ribose.

* D-Ribose Does Not Add to the Glycemic Load - PDF (http://www.bioenergy.com/Papers/903...%20and%20GI.pdf )"

And from Planeman, here, Thu, Mar-24-05 in the TDC forum (I hope it's okay to post):

"Hey I had a similar thing, My Atkins doc gave me a Ribose D supplement to try. He neglected to tell me it was carbon sugar based. Diabetics use it so he thought it might work for me. 1 tsp a day, I gained 3 lbs in a week. The first time I had gained or been out of ketosis since I started."

I'm going to take a look at the .pdf.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:53

BF:
Default One last post on this for now...thread from LCF forum

I'm guessing no one here has tried the ribose, but I found a thread from Low-Carb Friends that has some discussion of it.

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/...p/t-544604.html

I'll probably ask my doctor before trying it. If anyone's interested, I'll report back later!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 20:13

Plan: Paleo/Anti-Candida/CFS
Stats: 185/172/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all,

I know this is an old post, but I do take Corvalen M (with magnesium). I take it before breakfast and at night (one scoop each time). I find that it helps with some of my sugar cravings, so it probably does effect blood sugar in some form.

However, I am magnesium deficient in addition to CFS, so I have really found that it helps with energy levels.

Hope this helps!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-09, 08:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I do take it but I haven't measured my BG after taking it. I'll have to give it a whirl. It's going to be tough trying to figure out whether it's the ribose or the stuff I take it with... I usually stick it in my morning smoothie.

Maybe I'll just mix it with water and see.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation D-Ribose

Hey
The back story about D-Ribose is a nasty one. It is sugar. period. So on a low-carb diet, at the levels they tell you to take in one day are like 33grams or more. The Fibro& Fatigue Centers are selling that crap and $1000's more crap to Fibro's and there is one man behind all of it. Dr. Titlebaum. He claimed to have had Fibro and was on the street and discovered how to cure himself and got back to medical school and now "devotes his life to helping Fibros"
The man who is behind D-Ribose gives huge kickbacks to Dr. Titlebaum to sell it at all his speeches. There are so many companies lining up behind this "doctor" to get in the Fibro ring of cash. He get doctors to work in these clinics and sell all these expensive supplements and he pays for there malpractice insurance and these doctors who go with him and "sell out" become very rich.
This "doctor" is distancing his actual name from many Fibro-related things, since us old-time Fibro people know just what an evil dude he is.
He's never treated a Fibro patient in his life. The doctor who took over his practice many years ago tried to speak out about his failures to treat the one or 2 Fibro patients he had. Sure get the D-Ribose. It will give you a super lift of energy! So will 33 grams of pure sugar. It is not ok on a low carb diet.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 13:55

Plan: Bernstein diabetes plan
Stats: 172/172/160 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debwill
Hey
The back story about D-Ribose is a nasty one. It is sugar. period. So on a low-carb diet, at the levels they tell you to take in one day are like 33grams or more. The Fibro& Fatigue Centers are selling that crap and $1000's more crap to Fibro's and there is one man behind all of it. Dr. Titlebaum. He claimed to have had Fibro and was on the street and discovered how to cure himself and got back to medical school and now "devotes his life to helping Fibros"
The man who is behind D-Ribose gives huge kickbacks to Dr. Titlebaum to sell it at all his speeches. There are so many companies lining up behind this "doctor" to get in the Fibro ring of cash. He get doctors to work in these clinics and sell all these expensive supplements and he pays for there malpractice insurance and these doctors who go with him and "sell out" become very rich.
This "doctor" is distancing his actual name from many Fibro-related things, since us old-time Fibro people know just what an evil dude he is.
He's never treated a Fibro patient in his life. The doctor who took over his practice many years ago tried to speak out about his failures to treat the one or 2 Fibro patients he had. Sure get the D-Ribose. It will give you a super lift of energy! So will 33 grams of pure sugar. It is not ok on a low carb diet.

I know this is a very old thread, and I don't know anything about the particular products or programs you mentioned, but first of all, the phrase "33 grams of pure sugar" isn't a very precise one, and therefore it's not very helpful.

Contrary to your assertion, not all sugars react with the body in the same way. The problem for diabetics, for example, is glucose metabolism, and ribose simply isn't processed by the body in the same way as glucose. Ribose does not "reduce down" to glucose.

Check out this link: Effect of D-Ribose on Insulin and Blood Glucose: A Chronological Examination

This paper and a number I've come across demonstrate that, if anything, ribose lowers blood glucose levels. And my own personal anectodal experience is that it doesn't raise my BG reading.

However, I only take 5 grams once a day. I suppose it's conceivable that at the doses you mentioned there might be a different result. Still, the above-mentioned examination cited cases where up to 50 grams of ribose was infused in patients over a period of an hour; and at this dose (and lower doses), a serum-glucose-lowering effect was observed.