Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 17:12

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Childhood Obesity Is a Major Problem. Research Isn’t Helping

Good NYT article on the problems with many clinical trials (!) for obesity interventions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/...y-research.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 18:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am saddened but not surprised by children being so overweight and developing adult onset diabetes in primary school.

Over the past several years parents act like meat is poison and an egg will kill their child. All the while they are stuffing them with cereal and fruit juice. It's amazing they grow up at all when french fries and bread surround the pitiful amounts of hamburger and chicken they do get.

As an older sister and then a sought after babysitter I cut up many a hot dog because "you need your protein to grow" and now I see toddler menus without an animal product in sight.

It's frightening. You DO need your protein.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 21:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I know some people with an autistic child. The first time I saw him was at a restaurant he had a plate with macaroni and french fries. He didn't want it but kept reaching across the table to take my tiny tomatoes off of the salad. It was obvious he needed other food. The child needed meat, salad anything but these carbs he didn't want.
Oh and they say he has seizures. He would be a prime candidate for Keto to stop the seizures.

The second time I saw him was eating at a table again. No one was taking charge of him so I lifted him up and put him in a chair and scooted him up to the table, put a plate of food in front of him and put a spoon in his hand and directed it into the food. Then he stopped and looked at the father to be spoon fed, at the age of 7-8. He was capable but nobody is teaching him.

Oh and the other brother 12, skinny as a rail was trying to get up after eating much of nothing. Somebody said you're too skinny. I said you haven't eaten anything. What meat did you eat? (like you werebear) I said you need meat if you want to get strong muscles, he nodded and someone close to him put a big piece of turkey on his plate and he ate every single bite!

What are parents using for brains these days?

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-22-20 at 21:20.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 03:57

BF:

When I was a child it was the Four Food Groups.

Quote:
The basic four food groups are:

The milk group: Milk, cheese, ice cream, and other milk-based foods
The meat group: Meat, fish, poultry, and eggs, with dried legumes and nuts as alternatives
The fruits and vegetables group
The breads and cereals group

In a time when people did not suffer the metabolic diseases at the rate they do now. At least bring this back! At least for children!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 10:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

You should see what's on the school lunch plate these days. They're allowed to not eat. They plates are not filled like in the old days but they're asked if they want xyz.
The trash can was full of whole uncut apples. raw baby carrots because of no dip or sauce, the rice was mostly raw and crunchy, nuggets as usual, salad (3 pieces of leaves)will have no dressing. It's like they donn't want them to eat. Despite still having big kitchens, nothing is cooked there anymore, it all comes from central locations and is mostly government fake food. This is what they had on grandparents day when they knew we would be there to see and taste.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 17:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Children need opportunities to try foods over and over until its normal fare.

I learned a hungry kid will eat ANYTHING.... even veggies. So..... veggies were ready and on their plate long before the meat was ready, lol. Tricky mom.

When my kids were toddlers I made fast food: sandwhich size freezer container filled with a frozen veg, a cooked meat and pile of mashed potatoes. Made these up 4-8 at a time. Put in freezer for when I was too tired to cook.Easy peasy. Bake a pile of chicken thighs and let cool. Make batch of mashed potatoes and let cool. Select a bag of frozen veggies, green beans, carrots or mixed veg. Put in meat first, then scoop of potato, fill with frozen veg. Into freezer. When needed pop out onto a big microwaveabke plate. Fed two little ones.

Microwaveable frozen veggies are a mom's best friend.

My two boys are fit and trim, and these days hog down twice baked potatoes. Filled with mashed potatoes, butter, cheese, onion, ham salt, pepper, dried onion powder. Snack at home, or wrap, pack and reheat at school. Buying school lunch has never been an option..... here, in this poor town, its just carbs carbs carbs. Pizzza twice a week, fruit juice., chocolate milk....poor food.

These days getting them to eat veggies is more of a problem then when they were in grammer school, but I keep trying. Sometimes stirfry or a stew works to get in veggies.

Latest batch of mung beans are sprouted and ready for stirfrying with pork and frozen carrots!! Usually served without rice! They eat more veg that way. wink. wink.

I know how to cook. My youngest can cook. Oldest prefers ready made food......sigh.....though he likes using a knife and will cut uo veg and meats,lol.

I invested in my kids.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Jan-23-20 at 18:29.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 05:27

BF:

One shocking side effect of vegan propaganda are the children who are injured, or even die, from vegan parents. This shows most kids are getting some animal products from somewhere, even if it is fortified carbs.

People get their minds blown when I point out all their "healthy foods" are enriched while mine are not.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 20:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

People get their minds blown when I point out all their "healthy foods" are enriched while mine are not.
When a food item needs supplements added to it to be healthy then it's time to rethink that food item.