Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258/198/180
BF:25
Progress: 77%
Default What should my target goal weight be?

Hi.

I am finishing up my 12th day of induction, will begin taking Atkins Basic #3 and Atkin Accel starting tomorrow.

I am curious on what my eventual target goal weight should be, how do I know what I should weigh?

I am male, 35 6'0

start weight: 248
current weight: 232
first goal: 225

my brothers are slightly taller and weigh from 175 - 205.

What should my target weight be?

Thanks.

Evil Elder
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I guess you're the elder brother eh?

When I was wondering about this I asked my doctor. She looked at the body mass index charts and picked the middle range. I asked my fitness trainer, she measured my bodyfat and picked a "healthy" value. I asked a nutritionist and she looked at me and said for your build and picked a number. They all happened to choose the exact same number. So I'm guessing anyone of those methods is at least a valid starting point.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am not quite as tall as you (5'10") and a little younger (30) but am fairly big boned and broad shouldered. I have set my target weight at 175 for now. Once I get to that point I will see where I am at and will adjust accordingly. I know I could probably go lower but I may decide to do some weight lifting which would increase my goal weight.

Why you decide you want your goal weight to be is really something that you need to decide on as it really does depend on your body type. You have a first goal of 225. Set a second goal at 200. When you reach that you will have a much better idea of where you want to finally end up. Ultimately though, weight is just a number. Feeling fit and happy and energized is what really matters.