Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/dietdoctor
Stats: 182/175/159 Female 67
BF:no idea!
Progress: 30%
Default less to lose, less lost

hi.

i have only 13 pounds to lose (well that is BMI 24. something but i think i might choose to go down another stone cos i look far less heavy than i am and that will make me look slim slim) but i hear of people losing 19 pounds in two week induction and 16 pounds in their first four weeks and here am i way behind them. 9 pounds in 3 weeks but i am sure i wont have lost by tomorrow which is end of week 4.
i can do this diet forever, i wont give up, but i feel slightly irritated and i wanted to check.
seems totally unfair when you are working jut as hard.
but i my be wrong hence this question.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 10:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Carol, I think you stated it in a round about way, you will lose according to how your metabolism reacts. You are unique, as are we all. Others may have dramatic stories, and just the fact that you feel you can eat this way forever should make you realize it will happen for you when it happens. Along the way, as you get closer to your goal, you'll certainly make some adjustments. That's a part of this whole process. You're making great progress!!! Someone once stated, "Comparison (expecting the same experiences as others) corrupts the mind." However, comparing experiences and making adjustments is a very logical approach. Just don't expect the same results!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 10:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Those who lose upwards of 10 lbs during induction are generally those who have a hundred - or more - pounds to lose. They have much higher caloric requirements than you and also have much more water weight hanging around.

Losing 10% of the amount you have to lose is considered a good success during induction. You have well exceeded that benchmark.

My advice: settle in, enjoy the food, enjoy the greater ease of moving around, enjoy knowing you are improving your health. That's the part you can control, let your body take care of the rest.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 10:06
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya Carol!

The more one has to lose the more one seems to lose on the onset. And IMHO, it's never a good idea to compare your losses to someone else's.

Like you said, you're already normal weight on the BMI so IMHO your losses will be much slower than someone that has a lot more weight to lose.

Since you are willing to live your WOE forever, then just eat like you're supposed to and let what will happen, happen!

You can only CONTROL what you eat, NOT how that demonic evil contraption we call a scale reacts!

Hey have you measured? Are your clothes looser? Those would be indicators that you are losing fat no matter what the scale says!

Best Wishes!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 10:21
Registered Member

thank you to you all. i hear you

i LOVE that demon! i should draw one on my scales! the mother******* i really hate mine, even though they are telling me i lost weight. grrrrrrrr
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 10:23
Registered Member

ooh and yes,i have measured. waist from 34 to 29. weird i know. ps. that is in inches not cm hahahahahaahahahah
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 12:54

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Wow!! 5 inches is more than 2 dress sizes, Carol!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-16, 14:03
Registered Member

yeah. i would like more weight off please! xx
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 13:39
Registered Member

Thumbs up hi guys :-)

ok

4 weeks in, i have lost 10 pounds and have 12 to lose...
do you think i should step up from induction to OWL?

carol xx
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 14:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Yes if you want to enjoy more foods and set up a permanent lifestyle and way of eating for yourself. You will still lose the last bit of weight in OWL.
No if you want to accelerate your weight loss. Some folks stay in Induction for a long time.
When you reach goal, you'll be finding the sweet spot to stay in maintenance.
Prolly a reason Dr. Atkins said two weeks Induction, then so much time in OWL before pre-maintenance and maintenance. It just gets us in practice to eat the right level of carbs to maintain at our goal weight. And it introduces other nutrients into our bodies we may not get during Induction. Totally up to you
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 14:48
Registered Member

ooh the responsibility!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 16:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol2016
ooh the responsibility!
lol I hear ya. I'll be doing same thing in the near future for pre-maintenance.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-16, 17:15
Registered Member

yeah. you know
for the first time ever, i just exactly managed every mouthful i te.
and the results were so surprising.

a lot of my carbs are from milk in tea (as i was warned) but i cant be doing with almond milk. and my carbs are not over. i get in all my veg.
but everything else was bang on....perfect

apart from... not enough protein! i cant believe it. someone suggested on here the other day i was or might be eating too much protein and not enough fat.
its the other way round! you see, olive oil is practically drunk in italy. extra virgin. i mean we just drown in the stuff.

not enough meat. not enough cheese (there ceratinaly is lol) not enough nuts (on induction so can't have nuts anyhow) its meat. mmm. gosh this diet is mega expensive. carbs are cheap. pasta, rice,potatoes... meat is horrendously expensive.

cant wait till i can cos i lurve peanut butter especially on celery.

the point is, i was so surprised by these results.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-16, 03:43
Registered Member

i am losing so slow i really dunno what to do!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-16, 06:33
Registered Member

i must add that losing 13 pounds is my first goal to make me a healthy weight for my height.

i must also add it was meds that made me gain, they really made me so hungry i felt faint and so ate. its a nasty side effect. but i have to take them. also i was asleep mostly.
i want to lose another 14 pounds after that 13 pounds to have the perfect weight, but it might be too low. i will see.
cos i look a lot smaller than i weigh! that is a fortuitous quality.

anyhow, i am sure many people have said this but... wish i could lose faster, whatever anyone tells me. cos its discouraging every week to see one pound down after all my work. i have turned around my life for this weight loss gig. really turned it around my other half's life too. we now eat different meals at different times and its not good for us. it parts us. he is a cordon bleu chef and i know he is feeling it, though not moaning. i miss his creations.

i haven't left the house for a month cos i hate the thought of not fitting in when we all go out. italians drink. they also eat a lot of pasta, every day. and bread every day. its not that i have cravings so much- though i do- or that i don't enjoy what i eat on atkins. it is having major consequences i hadnt banked for on my life. if i were thin i wouldnt mind so much.

i will not give up, but without big losses i feel bad. how long it will take me to lose 27 pounds is anyones guess. i thought it would take about 3 months on atkins to lose the weight. apparently it's a long term thing. in fact, for life. well if it keeps me thin i don't care but so far, its not really impressed me.

still, i am not going to give up because its not in my nature. if anyone can make this work, i can.

i am going to buy this orange atkins book (not the new diet new you book by heimowitz) and see if that helps at all.

i was told we could share our feelings and vent on here.

that was me doing THAT! haha

dont worry. i will find a way. i will