Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 13:27

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 158.5/158.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Need Advice

Hello Everyone,
I would appreciate some advice. I have been on Induction for about 5 weeks and doing very well. I average about 18-20 carbs a day. I have lost 13.5 pounds. I love my new lifestyle and the progress, the only problem is I am not feeling very energetic. I have headaches on and off and my major complaint is lack of energy. I am in excellent health otherwise. I am 5"3 and currently weigh 152 pounds. I read these boards all the time and would appreciate some advice please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 13:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi there; congrats on doing low carb and losing 13 pounds.
It's hard to provide any advice without seeing actual daily food choices. But generally, five weeks into induction, the low-carb "flu" as it's called, should be over.

So my first question, if you're still experiencing headaches and lack of energy, is are you eating enough? That's great you're following Atkins, and staying at the 20 grams of carbs level. But remember ... you can eat on this woe. Each of us are different and have to find that sweet spot where we continue to lose, while feeling comfortable and energetic. For some, that means intermittent fasting. For others it means three square meals per day. Try playing around with the quantity of your food.

Next thing is are you eating enough healthy fat? Butter, olive oil, cream, coconut or MCT oil, avocado, etc need to be an integral part of a low-carb healthy fat woe.

Lastly, are you exercising a lot and therefore eating commensurate with your output? People say calories don't matter on LCHF and to a point that's true. But if you're doing HIIT, weight lifting or any other anaerobic exercise, it's not good to eat only 1200 cals per day type-of-thing.

Just some general ideas to get you to re-assess what you're consuming each and every day. Most of us have to do the same. Evaluate what works and doesn't work. Because we're all so individual. Good luck. Stick with it. You'll continue to see success!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 14:05

BF:

Thanks so much for responding. I am currently not exercising too much due to lack of energy. I am eating healthy fats everyday and eating around 1200-1400 calories. Someone has mentioned low potassium when doing this type of diet. I am hesitant to go to my physician for fear he will tell me to stop this type of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 14:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Are you eating enough salt? Many don't realize that low carb can cause the body to flush salt faster than other ways of eating. Eating enough salt can often bring back energy and eliminate the sluggish feeling and headaches. Here's the Salt Thread on this forum, check it out:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 15:47

BF:

Thanks Rob, perhaps this is my problem...I don't include any salt in my diet. Reaching for the salt shaker now!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 16:20

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

It sounds like a salt problem perhaps. I drink Bullion when that happens to me
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 20:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In addition to sodium you need to get potassium and magnesium so that all of your excreted electrolytes are replaced. I find the easiest thing to do is to use "Half Salt" or mix your own table/sea salt (NaCl) with potassium salt (KCl) such as "No Salt" made for people with high blood pressure. Then take a Magnesium supplement before bed - start with about 250 mg of elemental Mg.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 20:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Go read this thread, you need more than just a shake of salt.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210