Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 02:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/256/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up Induction week one DONE

Good Morning! Well, week one of induction was interesting to say the least. I did Atkins about 12 years ago and was wildly successful and lost 80 lbs. I know I can do this and keep doing it this time, but week one was challenging. The difference between this time and last time is I knew what to expect so when the headaches and yukky feelings came along, I just told myself to "suck it up" because I know they are temporary and I am focused on eating this way for the rest of my life. My first day of being able to really feel the difference (in a good way) was yesterday (Sunday) I woke up feeling like a million bucks!! I'm here for good now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 06:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Yay!!! You've come to a good place in more ways than one.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 06:51
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Well done with your 1st week! WTG!

Remember it's just one day at a time eating 100% OP and before you know it, you'll make your desired weight goal!

Wishing you continued success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 10:31

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Yeah! Doesn't it feel great to be on the path? I previously lost about 80 pounds, gained a good part of it back, and am now back -- I'm with you. I started the current journey in February at 264, and am now at 227 (I'm 58 and post-meno) so it can be done.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/256/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank you all for the support!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/dietdoctor
Stats: 182/175/159 Female 67
BF:no idea!
Progress: 30%

the leg aches are the worst... after 5 weeks they came on today!
well done OP you have done really really well i commend you xx
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 13:25
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Congratulations! Stick with it! I (and many others here) are evidence that this way of eating does work.

You may not have to go through it again, because you will want to (hint, hint) stay with this forever. But for the others that stumble upon this thread, there seems to be a couple of ways that seem to help people through the "induction flu." Michael Eades seems to think that if one is eating adequate fat, the "flu" symptoms can be lessened. I would say that this has worked for me. Atkins himself indicated that eating plenty of fat helps the body make the transition to burning primarily fat for energy, and makes it miss much less the carbs.

Others in the "keto" community seem to feel that the "flu" is evidence of electrolyte deficiency. Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium are the three most cited. This style of eating, is maintained, causes a depletion of those minerals. So, some will advocate extra supplementation of those specifically, or drinking G2 or Powerade Zero. Since those contain artificial sweeteners, one needs to be aware of that.

These two ways seem counterintuitive to much that we've been taught about nutrition; but both have shown to help people during the period of induction. If one can avoid having to "tough it out," it means a greater likelihood of "sticking it out."

Some of have indicated the electrolyte and mineral supplement helps prevent or take care of the achy leg issues. I've never had that; but it might be worth a try.

I have never done much more beyond a multi-vitamin. However, I do supplement daily with Magnesium for another reason all together; i.e., the relief in the 'stool' department.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 14:32
Registered Member

you sip chicken broth or bouillon for the cramps and after 3 days or so, they go. cramps are caused by all the missing salt, cos you pee so much and eat so few carbs.
drink broth.

magnesium is to be taken for pooping. this is an immensely bunging up diet, WOE, whatever, and if you are already that way or on meds or anything else that causes the C word, take it. OR take flax seed. which not only does the service, it is blooming delicious!

well done again x
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 14:34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMarvin
Congratulations! Stick with it! I (and many others here) are evidence that this way of eating does work.

You may not have to go through it again, because you will want to (hint, hint) stay with this forever. But for the others that stumble upon this thread, there seems to be a couple of ways that seem to help people through the "induction flu." Michael Eades seems to think that if one is eating adequate fat, the "flu" symptoms can be lessened. I would say that this has worked for me. Atkins himself indicated that eating plenty of fat helps the body make the transition to burning primarily fat for energy, and makes it miss much less the carbs.

Others in the "keto" community seem to feel that the "flu" is evidence of electrolyte deficiency. Sodium, Magnesium and Potassium are the three most cited. This style of eating, is maintained, causes a depletion of those minerals. So, some will advocate extra supplementation of those specifically, or drinking G2 or Powerade Zero. Since those contain artificial sweeteners, one needs to be aware of that.

These two ways seem counterintuitive to much that we've been taught about nutrition; but both have shown to help people during the period of induction. If one can avoid having to "tough it out," it means a greater likelihood of "sticking it out."

Some of have indicated the electrolyte and mineral supplement helps prevent or take care of the achy leg issues. I've never had that; but it might be worth a try.

I have never done much more beyond a multi-vitamin. However, I do supplement daily with Magnesium for another reason all together; i.e., the relief in the 'stool' department.

CONGRATULATIONS on your incredible achievement! woop woop
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-16, 21:37

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I did not have flu symptoms and definitely had adequate sodium and fat. But, I was, and often still am, very thirsty!