Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think that planned cheats are necessary in order to make this a way of life. The key is not to do it to frequently or too soon after starting to eat this way.
I started this WOE in August. No cheats. On Thanksgiving I had a "planned cheat". We went out to one of those all you can eat piggy bar restaurants. I had all intentions of having at least one decadent dessert. I had my salad. Some turkey. Broccoli. By the time dessert time came, nothing even looked good to me! So I didn't have anything. But, I know if I had went there thinking that there was going to be all these things that I CAN"T have, that I could NEVER have, I know I would have wanted them.
I am planning another cheat day for Yule.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 12:24

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Red face Getting started

Hi ladies,
I never did induction so I don't know what that is like. But maybe the restrictions are too severe? I know with me if I feel like I am restricted I tend to buck at those restrictions. I know when you get started, it's important to be careful how you eat and change how you eat. But I started by just taking out the bread and sweets and eating at least 15 grams of protein at my meals. But I really concentrate on getting lots of veggies in me too. Hence the salads---BIG fluffy salads. It was hard to realize no pasta, no rice anymore. But I put the meat in the spaghetti sauce on my salads....like the salad (or green beans)is my pasta.
I also allow myself 1 or 2 pieces of low carb bread a day. They usually are between 8 and 11 carbs each. So, I know it's not as drastic as Atkins but it's working for me. That's what matters I guess. If I feel like I'm not losing, I leave off the LC bread. And I know drinking lots of water is really important.

A Thin Me!! I am no expert!! But I think the strength comes from having experienced success with it so far. I am so jazzed that I am able to eat, and lose weight. And find foods that were never OK for me when I was trying to watch my weight by doing low fat, and I enjoy them---real mayo, real dressing, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, salmon...it seems that this kind of food tastes better to me now. And I don't feel hungry like I used to when I was eating carbs, lots of sugar and trying to watch my FAT intake. So I crave this kind of food now. Not the sweets.
Although if you lay some chocolate out before me, I know it would be a temptation. I always felt like I had NO will power, but this WOL seems to boost your ability to make the right choices because it takes away those horrible cravings. Well, I don't know if that will help... Victoria
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 15:40

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Victoria,
It is strict in induction, but that's usually only the first 14 days of the diet (the 20 g. or less carbs); after that, on the weight loss diet, it goes up in carbs a little so is somewhat less restrictive.

I'm sure for my part, I'll be a little happier about it then. I'm just having a bad - craving day; probably just stress What you're doing sounds good. I would not be able to have the bread (Good thing I don't care for bread anyhow), but that's okay.

I'm making myself a food list of things I like that are low carb, and what their carb counts are, so I'll have that list handy when I need variety. I tend to forget what I can have when I don't have a list in front of me, so my diet ends up bland. Luckily, I have a husband who is excellent at making what we think are boring foods into something really good. Last night, he cut up chicken breasts, green peppers, mushrooms, marinated them in a no-carb broth, added cheese to melt all in it....yuuuuummmmm. I'd have never thought of something like that, even though it was simple.

Sh'ra
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Re: A thought

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
For Thanksgiving, I ate a tbsp of Mash potatoes and a Tbsp of Sweet Potatoes (no sugar added), I also had a piece (a hunk) of Cherry Pie and a handful of chocolate. I lost 2 lbs that week. I broke my stall. Maybe a day of moderate charbs may help those who are stalling... Its an idea. I'm definitely doing the same for christmas.

Lessara,

I did the same ... I allowed myself a small helping of stuffing, because I love it, and a dessert. I didn't stuff myself and drank lots of water.

I, too, came out of a stall over Thanksgiving. And it happened the last time I ate a few carbs more ... so as long as I don't get the mad cravings, I will allow myself a dessert on special ocasions (like Christmas and Thanksgiving, Easter, and my birthday).