Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:57

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 300/240/150
BF:
Progress: 40%

Karen..

My concern is where is the water that I am whizzing coming from if I'm not drinking water? And is this whizzing dehydrating me and if so, should I then drink more water? I'm comfortable either way but I was begin to wonder if I was drinking too little water. Water is the only liquid I drink.. well about 80% - I drink water, have a cup of coffee at work M-F and I drink about 1/2 bottle of diet soda - usually diet sprite, diet mountain dew or FRESCA!

As for the potassium supplements, WOW that makes so much sense. I was taking a CENTRUM and a CALCIUM tablet a day but haven't been doing so for about a month b/c I was travelling for work and have dropped the habit but I will pick it back up today because in the last couple of weeks I have been getting some weird leg cramps.. calf, thigh, you name it. I thought it may be the cold (I live in Washington DC) and I was worrying that I was beginning to lose muscle as opposed to fat. What other vitamin supplements should I take?

Joyce
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:59

BF:

OOOoops.. as for the 70 pounds.. i can think of many people it can go to! the feeling is great and the next 70 are in sight!
joyce
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:03

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi joycita! How are you feeling now that you're on the Glucophage? Does it seem to be diminishing your hunger? Hope everything is going well for you!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:35

BF:

hi missy..

i have been on glucophage for about 3 days now and have lost 2 pounds.. so i dont know if it's had any additional affect... i skipped 2 doses over the weekend.. it's hard to keep up with it every 8 hours but i'm trying to stick with it... my hunger is already curverd w/atkins so i dont know if the metmorfin has had any additional affect.... i tend to eat b/c i know i need to .. if i had to wait until i was really hungry i would probably only eat once a day.. however i did have a hearty brunch on sunday and did not eat again that whole day.. when i do eat heartily i get full much quicker.. i was worried i might have put on a pound or 2 with my brunch but as i mentioned i have actually lost 2 pounds.. i hope i can maintain through the thanksgiving holiday.. all turkey no stuffing!

how are you coming along with the CAD diet? i haven't read too much about it but i hear people mention it a lot.. how different is it from ATKINs?

joyce.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:42

BF:

Congratulations on the 2-lb. loss!!!

I'm doing ok with CAD. Still learning as I've only been on it for 5 weeks. Its main difference from Atkins is that it's basically treating a disorder called "Carbohydrate Addiction". The most enjoyable thing is that for an hour out of the day you can have whatever you want as long it's within an hour of when you started eating. The other 1 or 2 meals a day are called "Complimentary Meals" and should be extremely low in carbs.

A lot of people have said that they find it easier to stick to it because you're not really giving up anything forever.

Happy Low-Carbin'
Missy
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:13

BF:

Wow.. I wonder if it is as effective.. i have conditioned myself to not have carbs so i really try to keep them to a minimum .. i dont think i could binge on carbs even if i wanted to! i had a friend who would indulge on carbs during the weekend and do a new INDUCTION for 2 weeks and he swore the extra carbs were enough to jump start him!

what do you typically treat yourself to in that hour and how much? have you lost any additional weight this week? and did atkins work for you at all?

joyce
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-02, 08:29

BF:

Well, I never really tried Atkins but I know a lot of people who have. I knew that I wouldn't be able to choose that plan because it would mean giving up carbs FOREVER.

During the Reward Meal you can have whatever you want. I am a sweet freak! I LOVE chocolate and ice cream and anything baked, so I usually always have dessert. If not, I eat fruit. I also usually have some sort of potatoe and sometimes pasta and bread.

I didn't lose any weight last week, but it's my TOM so hopefully after this week I'll see an improvement. I have also started reading my book again (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) because I missed quite a bit of information. There is a lot of information in the CAD/CALP Forum if you want to check it out. This diet really makes sense to me. I'm still getting myself on track, but I really believe that it will work for a lifetime. Good Luck!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 09:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 229/229/156 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:
Progress:

sorry for butting into this thread with my question, but it seems to fit here.. I start metformin tomorrow - and im also just a new low carber. Everywhere i read, its telling me that carbs counteract the metformin. - How low should i be dropping the carbs for metformin to be as effective as possible? Right now im doing 15g of carbs, three times a day+ 2 little low carb snacks. should I drop it even more?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 20:25

Plan: South Beach, Atkins, mine
Stats: 240/200/170 Female 63"
BF:25%
Progress: 57%
Default My experience on Gluc plus...

Glucophage is the brand name per the manufacturer...
Metformin etc... are generics of...
www.Drugs.com for info...

Note: Most people get upset stomachs and headaches on Metformin... Your doctor may tell you its your body getting used to it... NO! Your body is rejecting it! True with anything, it depends on the individual as well...

Fact: Budweiser is the only beer having many chemicals in it... Alot of people drinking it get headaches but still drink their Bud! Source: A beer distributor manager...

My experiences on Glucophage;
Glucophage XR 500mg daily is my "miracle"pill... 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill my cravings disappeared... I had to make myself eat... I lost 30lbs in 4 months along with dropping 6 full dress sizes... Budget caused me to go off Gluc... I gained 2 sixes back in 2 years and gained fat in the form of cellulite for the 1st time in my life!
- Gluc's side effects are all positive for me...Accept for the bouts of constipation like... I know from a post in here to add more fiber and fat...

*Point: Each person is different in how their body reacts to drugs and food, etc...
- All you can do is try things... Keep a journal...
- Treatment and diet is a trial & error experience...
- It's your body... Most doctors have little clues to the truth in PCOS...

My symptoms are minor (28 of the 50 in my PCOS List)... Gluc diminishes most all of mine and makes the few less to deal with...
- I feel mellow and complete while on Gluc... A hormone thing...

I eat a high protein, complex and low carb style diet with Gluc and lose weight on a steady basis... I cheat one day at lunch or dinner a week to reward myself... My blood tests show within ranges...

* You have to eat while on Gluc to drop weight!

My asian MD doc told me to choose a size i love and use the Gluc as a maintenance pill from then on...
- I will have adjusted to a proper lifestyle of eating then...

I am very happy on Glucophage XR 500mg daily....
Christie
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 00:12

Plan: metformin/lowcarb
Stats: 280/250/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Glucophage, my wonder pill!

Hi ya'll, I just wanted to share a little of my story. I have been married for 15 years and for the first 4 years we couldn't get pregnant. I have had menstrual cycle problems all my life, been over weight all my life, had low sugar spells all my life, facial hair, discoloration on my neck, under breast, between my thighs. I had all the symptoms of pcos including the cysts except for the acne But I had never heard about it. One day I found a magazine article in a Woman's Day mag. that talked about women having pcos and I took it to my Dr. He did the test and found out I had it. He put me on glucophage and 6 weeks later I was pregnant with my 1st daughter. I stayed on it durning the preg. and she was fine, but went off after. I got preg. again right before her 2nd b-day and had a miscarriage so I went back on gluc. and lost 45lbs within 6months and found out I was preg. once again. That pregnancy went fine. I stayed on gluc. and lost all my weight plus another 55lbs. and ended up preg. again. This time I went off gluc. since my hormone levels were good and the baby did fine but after I had him I have never lost the weight. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow to get back on gluc. because it helped me alot. I have always tried to diet but without success. The gluc. really helped me to get the job done. It increased my energy, it fixed my metabolism, and curbed my appetite. I hope it has the same effect this time around!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 00:07

Plan: not sure
Stats: 256/256/175 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyFilly
Glucophage is the brand name per the manufacturer...
Metformin etc... are generics of...
www.Drugs.com for info...

Note: Most people get upset stomachs and headaches on Metformin... Your doctor may tell you its your body getting used to it... NO! Your body is rejecting it! True with anything, it depends on the individual as well...

Fact: Budweiser is the only beer having many chemicals in it... Alot of people drinking it get headaches but still drink their Bud! Source: A beer distributor manager...

My experiences on Glucophage;
Glucophage XR 500mg daily is my "miracle"pill... 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill my cravings disappeared... I had to make myself eat... I lost 30lbs in 4 months along with dropping 6 full dress sizes... Budget caused me to go off Gluc... I gained 2 sixes back in 2 years and gained fat in the form of cellulite for the 1st time in my life!
- Gluc's side effects are all positive for me...Accept for the bouts of constipation like... I know from a post in here to add more fiber and fat...

*Point: Each person is different in how their body reacts to drugs and food, etc...
- All you can do is try things... Keep a journal...
- Treatment and diet is a trial & error experience...
- It's your body... Most doctors have little clues to the truth in PCOS...

My symptoms are minor (28 of the 50 in my PCOS List)... Gluc diminishes most all of mine and makes the few less to deal with...
- I feel mellow and complete while on Gluc... A hormone thing...

I eat a high protein, complex and low carb style diet with Gluc and lose weight on a steady basis... I cheat one day at lunch or dinner a week to reward myself... My blood tests show within ranges...

* You have to eat while on Gluc to drop weight!

My asian MD doc told me to choose a size i love and use the Gluc as a maintenance pill from then on...
- I will have adjusted to a proper lifestyle of eating then...

I am very happy on Glucophage XR 500mg daily....
Christie

I Go Back To The Dr. On Tuesday, Just Found Out I Had An Abnormal Pap Does That Have Anything To Do With My PCOS?? Im Scared, But She Will Also Be Putting Me On The Gluc Any Advice?? Im 22, 5'2'' and pushing 260