Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 04:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
BTW, just to clarify my intentions on the Carnivore/Omnivore thing.

There are people who follow a carnivore diet, and eat nothing but meat. If a person who eats mostly meat by some plant food calls himself/herself a carnivore, how do we differentiate between the two?

Bob

I've seen it referred to as All-Meat or Only-Meat. I ate that my first three weeks of my switch, and called it so. Dairy, as always, is tricky to categorize, though it is undeniably animal based, and what of eggs?

Even Diet Doctor seems confused:

Quote:
A carnivore diet contains animal products only. It is plant free. In its most extreme form it includes only meat and water.

Read on to learn more about the zero-carb, carnivore way of eating. And find out the results — positive and negative — I experienced when I tried the diet for 30 days.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 04:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
No longer have arthritic pain

That's wonderful!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 05:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
My base is beef and pork - no chicken, no eggs, no vegetables except an occasional salad - either Cesar or Greek
I do eat cheddar cheese after my meal
I do eat nuts - preferably pecans but occasionally macadamias or walnuts - always pre-portioned - never just out of the bag
Benay, that's interesting to know. I presume you did this through trial and error?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 08:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
My base is beef and pork - no chicken, no eggs, no vegetables except an occasional salad - either Cesar or Greek
I do eat cheddar cheese after my meal
I do eat nuts - preferably pecans but occasionally macadamias or walnuts - always pre-portioned - never just out of the bag

Sounds like the Arthritis/Bursitis diet a doctor gave me - especially since you are on a low carb forum.

This relieved all my pain and everyone I have shared this with have had stellar results.

From the doc
For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins
* Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Bob
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 10:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Me, looking at 6 oz container of nuts in the store: "Oh look, it's single serving package of nuts!"

Me, looking at 12 oz container of nuts in the store: "Oh look, it's a single serving package of nuts!"

Me, looking at 1 lb container of nuts in the store: "Oh look, it's a single serving package of nuts!"

Me, looking at a 2 lb container package of nuts in the store: "Hmm, I wonder if I could get 2 servings out of this?"

That's really only slightly exaggerated - I definitely have a portion control problem with nuts.

Sounds like me! I have to be VERY careful about nuts - they're too high in protein for me to eat a lot of, and if I'm not careful I do eat a lot. Even tho I love cashews, I found I can usually limit them. My favorite Smokehouse almonds - no. I finally found large boxes of 1-oz portions at the Cash & Carry. That helps a lot.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 11:58

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Benay, that's interesting to know. I presume you did this through trial and error?

Absolutely

Also, since i am still on lockdown, the grocery store shops and delivers my choices and their substitutions can be strange, especially the meat selections. So, I now have a frozen-food-only supplier where i get my meats. I can count on their bringing me exactly what i have ordered - if available - and not guessing what i will take as a substitute.

At least i am not being subjected to all the sights and smells when grocery shopping coupled with impulse buying.

My residence periodically offers an avocado stuffed with seafood salad on a bed of greens. When I see that on the menu, I buy it. Not my usual lunch but a nice change.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 13:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I find it hard to control salted and seasoned nuts, but don't have a problem with plain, unsalted nuts from the bakery aisle (almonds, pecans, walnuts). Though I do take out only 1 oz at a time.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 13:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Wild cats are carnivores, but they don't eat only meat. They get up to 9% carbs because they eat their entire prey, which includes the stomach contents, liver, kidneys & other entrails that humans don't think of as "meat".