Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 13:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Doreen's V.2 journal (Nov-Dec)

I officially started yesterday - Sunday 18 November .... haven't had the chance to plug anything into Fitday yet .. I'm having a few 'puter problems which are keeping me occupied. I'll enter as soon as I can. As Day 1, yesterday was a regular LC day.

Today is Day 2, or Stillman Lean Protein day, and so far, so good. I made a huge batch of meatballs -- combined x.lean grd beef w. x.lean grd turkey, herbs and dijon mustard .. grilled and fat drained off. I also made a dessert mousse with dry curd cottage cheese (I keep having this Freudian slip ... and type dry CRUD by mistake). Anyway .. I posted the recipe in the Stillman recipe thread in this forum. Am grilling some boneless,skinless chicken thighs (less than 1/2 the fat of lean beef) .. I'll post the recipe for those too.

I plan to maintain my regular Bootcamp journal and Gym Log, and so will only post the raw data here --- food list, nutrient data, etc.

Start weight - 171.5

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 00:07
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile Week 1

Sunday 18 November

Day 1 - regular low-carb

- 2 eggs scrambled in butter
- sm. can tuna w. mayo .. in 2 large celery stalks
- 7 meatballs - x.lean grd beef w. x.lean grd turkey, herbs, dijon, 2 c. sliced cabbage sautéed in olive oil w. onions and caraway
- 1 oz pork rinds w. 2 oz cheese melted
- 2 black coffees, pot o' green tea, 2 L water

calories: 1574
Fat: 113g (66%)
Carbs: 22g / Fiber: 7g / 15g ECC
Protein: 117g (30%)
cal per lb = 9.2

Monday 19 November

Day 2 - Stillman - Lean protein

- 8 Tbsp lowfat egg substitute, scrambled w. 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- 12 oz bnlss sknlss chicken thighs grilled (marinated in jce of 1/2 lime, 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, clove garlic, 1 Tbsp tamari, dried chili flakes, few drops liquid SugarTwin)
- 10 meatballs (reheats)
- Fluffy Mousse w. dry curd cheese (recipe is in Stillman thread)
- 3 black coffees, 4 L water

calories: 1144
Fat: 35 (28%)
Carbs: 10g / Fiber: 0g
Protein: 184g (69%)
cal per lb = 6.6

(notes to myself) :

- on Stillman days, aim for minimum protein intake of 150g Keep fat below 30%, strive for <20%

- for the cal "boost" days following each protein fast day, aim for 11 x calories ... this week the target will be 1886 (but minimum 1715)

- I forgot that bell peppers and zucchinis are fruits not green vegetables, so I hope they'll keep until Day 6 (Friday).
  • fat cells BE GONE!
Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 00:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/190/165
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Doreen!

I see you're off to a good start.

Green peppers and zucchini are considered fruit??? Is that cuz they're not leafy?

Lorrie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 00:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Doreen, congrats on the 170!! you'll be in the 160's in no time!

The last relm before the target relm of 150's

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 00:58
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wadimom
Green peppers and zucchini are considered fruit??? Is that cuz they're not leafy?
No, they are botanically fruits .. because they contain the seeds. Olives, avocadoes, eggplants, cucumbers, zucchihnis and any squash for that matter, peppers, tomatoes ... that's all I can think of right now.

Karen listed the best green vegetables to use for these two days of the program, check out the High Carb Green Vegetables thread here. High carb in this case doesn't mean "high carb" .. it means, carb-dense for the purposes of this project. It would take about 4 heads of lettuce and 2 bags of spincach to get 25 carbs. Broccoli, asparagus and brussels sprouts are easier to consume the necessary carbs without feeling like a rabbit!!

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 01:59
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Week 1

Tuesday, 20 November

Day 3 - Calorie boost, dairy-free, green veggies only

- 3-egg frittata w. the last of the meatballs crumbled, 1½c. chopped broccoli, handful fresh parsley, 1 green onion .. cooked in butter
- leftover chicken thighs, sliced on bed of shredded lettuce, drsg made from walnut oil, wine vinegar, herbs
- 8 oz grilled pork chop, 1½c. brussels sprouts w. butter
- 2 black coffees, pot o' Jasmine tea (green), 2.5L water

calories: 1835
Fat: 124g (62%)
Carbs: 27g / Fiber: 12g (24g from green veggies)
Protein: 153g (34%)
cal per lb = 10.8

Well, I exceeded the minimum 10 calories per lb, so I'm satisfied with that. The 3 eggs might not have been such a good idea, I forgot about the carbs. Could have been worse though. And giving up coffee is NOT an option.

Stillman day again tomorrow. I discovered that lamb loin chops can be made very lean. Because the fat is in a layer around the outside it's easy to remove .. just like pulling the skin off chicken. So, I'm having lean lamb loins and haven't decided what else yet .. tuna I guess, and I might make another mousse thing with dry crud .. and chicken breast.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 10:00

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

thank you for starting when you did!! i am getting some great ideas from your menus!
congrats on 170. you really have done a tremendous job

i have a question - is butter considered dairy? not quite sure, and i noticed you used it on non-dairy days. thanks for the help
brenda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 10:32
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
[ii have a question - is butter considered dairy? not quite sure, and i noticed you used it on non-dairy days.
Good question! As I recall, the last time around we determined that a small amount of butter would be considered as FAT, not dairy, since there is only a wee trace of lactose or milk solids in it. Some of us chose to use CLARIFIED butter, or ghee ... which removes all solids and water, and leaves behind just the pure butter fat, nothing else. Think I'm going to do that today .. my jar of ghee is almost empty (ghee is clarified butter that's slightly browned)

thanks for the reminder

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 23:59
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Week 1

Wednesday, 21 November

Day 4 - Stillman / Lean protein

- 1 cup home-made chicken broth
- 99g water-pack light tuna w. 1 tsp seeded dijon on 1 c. shredded Boston lettuce
- 11 oz chicken breast, seasoned, cooked on non-stick grill
- Lemon Mousse w. d/c cheese (recipe in Stillman thread)
- 210g (w. bone) lamb loin chops, visible fat removed, seasoned, cooked on non-stick grill
- 2 black coffees, pot o' tea, 3.5L water

calories: 858
Fat: 15g (17%)
Carbs: 9g / Fiber: 1g
Protein: 163g (79%)
cal per lb = 5.4

I wasn't hungry at all through the day ... but had the munchies this evening. Drank tea instead and the feeling went away.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 17:43

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Question?

Do,

You're doing great and the variety of the food you eat is enviable. But I'm wondering why you don't take the recommended psyllium, your fibre count is only 1 gram?

Inquirind minds want to know. Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 18:54
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: Question?

Quote:
[.. But I'm wondering why you don't take the recommended psyllium, your fibre count is only 1 gram?

Inquirind minds want to know. Thanks
Extremely allergic.

As in .. fiery itchy rash and big red welts that bubbled up all over my body; face so bloated, my eyes were swollen shut, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and a trip to Emerg. that will forever remain in my memory as the night from Hell.

Truthfully, I don't have a problem, especially since I increased my liquid oil intake. I also started tracking my water intake to make sure I drink enough ... dehydration is a notorious constipator .. Plus, I normally eat a lot of veggies .. the Stillman days of this project are the only days I don't, and pure meats leave little residue when digested. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 22:57
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Week 1

Thursday 22 November

Day 5 - calorie boost, dairy-free, green veggies only

- frittata - 1/2 c. egg-substitute w. 6 oz crumbled Italian sausage, 1 green onion, cooked in butter
- 1 oz. pork rinds w. brussels sprouts & mayo dip (recipe in Green Vegetables thread .. I used 3 Tbsp mayo, not 4)
- 7 oz mahi mahi fillet w. olive oil & herbs, green beans w. butter
- 2 black coffees, pot o' green tea, 2.5L water

calories: 1970
Fat: 152g (71%)
Carbs: 27g / Fiber: 9g (24g from green veggies)
Protein: 124g
cal per lb = 11.5

I hadn't planned my menu in advance ... and sort of lost track .. I made the sausage frittata for a late brekkie-lunch ... and it was late afternoon before I realized that I'd better get eating! I made it okay, actually went above my target, which is good , but here it's late at night, and my tummy is a bit uncomfortable.

I'm glad tomorrow is regular LC .. I'm dying to have a mushroom and goat cheese omelet. And I'd better do something with those zucchinis and red peppers ... they're on the verge of collapse ..

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 00:18

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
Extremely allergic.

As in .. fiery itchy rash and big red welts that bubbled up all over my body; face so bloated, my eyes were swollen shut, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and a trip to Emerg. that will forever remain in my memory as the night from Hell.
Doreen

Oh Doreen, night from Hell, indeed. Any one of those reactions would be enough to effect a cease & desist action re psyllium. I've got allergies but I've never reacted like this..... Yuckiee

Hehehe.... I've been so busy doing shop steward duties the past week at work (to the point I'm not doing my real job).... can you tell..... 'cease & desist'. LOL at moi.

Your menus always sound so tasty Do, it would be a treat to drop in for a day just to do some 'quality control' work at your house.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 14:04
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile week 1

Friday, 23 November

Day 6 - regular LC

- 2 Italian sausages, 2 scr. eggs in butter
- whey protein shake w. water
- ½ kg goat meat (very bony) curried, stir-fried zucchini w. red pepper, onions, garlic & ginger, sesame oil
- 2 black coffees, pot o' tea, 3 L water

calories: 1609
Fat: 114g (65%)
Carbs: 25g / Fiber: 6g / 19g ECC
Protein: 120g (30%)
cal per lb = 9.5

Quote:
Your menus always sound so tasty Do, it would be a treat to drop in for a day just to do some 'quality control' work at your house.
Sure, c'mon over! Just ignore the cat hair, and if you see any chunks o' dirt bigger 'n' yer eye, it's just a figment of yer imagination!

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 21:15
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile Week 1

Saturday, 24 November

Day 7 - regular LC

- whey protein shake w. water
- small can tuna, 2 Tbsp mayo in Boston lettuce wraps
- other half of goat curry over 1 c. steamed zucchini, topped w. 1 sliced green onion
- 2 Tbsp natural hazelnut butter (omg this is awesome!) in 1 large celery rib.
- 3 black coffees, pot o' jasmine tea, 3 L water

calories: 1178
Fat: 79g (61%)
Carbs: 24g / Fiber: 8g / 16g ECC
Protein: 98g (34%)
cal per lb = 7

Appetite was off a bit today.

Doreen