Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 182.5/180.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default prednisone

I'm eating paleo but taking prednisone long term and gaining weight! How can you offset this side effect? I don't eat fruit anymore, I eat lean protein and vegetables. This is very frustrating.
help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think you can do anything about it. Prednisone just has that effect on some people. At least you're minimizing the gain. :\ How long will you be on it?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 11:03
Registered Member

BF:

I don't know how long I will be on it. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I've been in a really bad flare for about two months now with no sign of easing. I was hoping to taper off but there's no way I can do that yet.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 12:51

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Patient package insert?

Quick google of "Prednisone" and "weight gain" gets a lot of sites that will tell you to control fat and simple carbs, duh. Part of the problem is that the drug increases your blood sugar, so you'll get an insulin release and then that will pack fat away. Guessing that serious exercise isn't high on your list of options, either, which might help to bring your blood sugar down some.

Suggestion--get the real patient package insert from your pharmacist and see if it gives you any guidelines. It will be high-science language and tiny print. Last time I went into one, it told me that they didn't really know the answer to my question (how was that drug metabolised), but at least it told me that no-one knew and I let go of trying to find the answer.

You may find that it has an effect on some pathway that's open to other manipulation.

I know my dog gained almost 100% of body weight over a six-week course once, but it came off when she got over needing to take it (hemolytic anemia).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 14:30
Experimenter

BF:

Idrial, I have another type of autoimmune arthritis and I read postings by other sufferers that sometimes fasting will give them relief from a bad flare. Just a couple of days might do it. They also have a lot of success adhering to a no-starch diet. But you're probably already doing that.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 14:44
Registered Member

BF:

thank you for the information.

cs carver, that's a good idea to get the full prescription detail. I'll do that.

Nancy, I'll try a fast and see if that helps. I can't do a full fast because of having to take meds with food but I can't severely limit and see if that helps.

Another board I asked this on everyone jumped on me and said I have to stop drinking colas and eating junk food. They totally ignored where I had posted I eat paleo with no sugar and no processed foods. Thank you all here for actually reading what I wrote and not jumping to conclusions!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 14:55
Experimenter

BF:

You might want to look into Intermittent Fasting too. We've got one lady with a nasty autoimmune disease on it (other than me) and she has had some relief. Basically it is skipping 2 out of 3 meals every other day. There's a link to our thread in my signature. But again, I don't know how that'd work out with your meds. You might still be able to do it.

I'm on a med I'm supposed to take with food too, but it doesn't upset my stomach to take it without, so that's what I do.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 17:27
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

Prednisone is bad news. The saying is something like - it will either save your life or kill you.

Have you tried natural supplements for joint pain?

High quality multi-vitamin
lots of fish oil
MSM (if large quantities not already in multi-vitamin)
Glucosamine - Chondritin
Turmeric
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 17:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
Prednisone is bad news. The saying is something like - it will either save your life or kill you.

Have you tried natural supplements for joint pain?

High quality multi-vitamin
lots of fish oil
MSM (if large quantities not already in multi-vitamin)
Glucosamine - Chondritin
Turmeric

Yes, prednisone is bad news, but I'd have been dead years ago but for this drug.

I think that unless you have experienced the pain of rheumatoid arthritis, it is a bit unfair to suggest not taking steroids. Doctors NEVER put someone on steroids lightly.

Idrial, I only need to be on a short course of steroids these days (for my asthma), but I have still found a big difference in the "steroid hunger" by sticking to LC. Lots of protein and healthy fats, just very few carbs.
I think intermittent fasting would be a great idea for you, but please don't beat yourself up if you can't manage it. Personally, I couldn't even consider it when on steroids - I just get too hungry.

I'm not sure there is any real answer to the weight gain conundrum. But do remember, that by sticking with LC you are helping your general health enormously.

I hope your flare will soon be over.

{{Hugs}}

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 17:53
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
it is a bit unfair to suggest not taking steroids.

First, I never did that.

Second, I do think it is not only fair, but also wise, to consider natural approaches. It certainly kept me off a hand full of prescription drugs and improved my health dramatically. If it does not work for someone - then no big deal.

Third, I would turn your argument around and say it is "unfair" to not suggest natural approaches when we are talking about something as dangerous as prednisone.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 17:58

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:

Can you show me some studies that show prednisone is dangerous. I'm researching this issue myself right now.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 18:20
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
First, I never did that.

I apologize. It was just that stating prednisone is bad news and then suggesting supplements sounded to me as though you were suggesting she not take it.
Quote:
Second, I do think it is not only fair, but also wise, to consider natural approaches. It certainly kept me off a hand full of prescription drugs and improved my health dramatically. If it does not work for someone - then no big deal.

Yes, natural approaches are a great idea, but for some conditions they just do not cut the mustard.
Do you have a condition such as rheumatoid arthritis or severe asthma yourself?
Quote:
Third, I would turn your argument around and say it is "unfair" to not suggest natural approaches when we are talking about something as dangerous as prednisone.

I repeat, doctors never prescribe steroids lightly. Yes, it has serious side effects, but patients on long term steroids are monitored carefully.

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 18:21
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundi83
Can you show me some studies that show prednisone is dangerous. I'm researching this issue myself right now.

My dad was on it when he was very sick. It saved his life but then almost killed him. The problem is getting off of it - once it has saved your life. You have to withdraw very slowly. But, the whole time - it supposively rots your internals.

Supposively it rotted his gall bladder(?) and when they went in to remove it - the doctors said it had rotted a lot of his internals.

For short term use -- it probably won't be that bad.

I was going to have to start a prescription drug for arthritis (not prednisone). But have been pain free for a couple of years now. Mine was not bad enough to warrant prednisone - but still if the natural approach only works half way - then that is half the prednisone you have to take - or perhaps you can take another prescription instead.

A quick search returned:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dangers+prednisone

http://www.vitacost.com/Science/hn/...eroids_Oral.htm

http://search.lef.org/search/defaul...UERY=prednisone
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 18:25
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Do you have a condition such as rheumatoid arthritis or severe asthma yourself?

I had several conditions that they prescribed drugs for. Two were arthritis and chronic bronchitis. I was off all prescription drugs in six months. I would have been off sooner - but some you have to wean yourself off slowly.

Quote:
I repeat, doctors never prescribe steroids lightly.

That is not the experience I had with doctors. If they can find a problem that you have and then find either a prescription drug or surgery -- they will tell you there are no other options.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 18:34
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
I had several conditions that they prescribed drugs for. Two were arthritis and chronic bronchitis. I was off all prescription drugs in six months. I would have been off sooner - but some you have to wean yourself off slowly.

That is not the experience I had with doctors. If they can find a problem that you have and then find either a prescription drug or surgery -- they will tell you there are no other options.

But do you have rheumatoid arthritis? I have osteoarthritis myself, and while it can be very painful at times, it does not compare with rheumatoid.

Perhaps the doctors in the US aren't as good as the ones in Australia? I do agree that many are too quick to prescribe drugs rather than look for alternatives, but I must repeat that for someone in a flare of rheumatoid arthritis, there really is no alternatibe to prednisone.

And having said that, I will now bow out of this thread, but not before again wishing Idrial the very best and a speedy end to your current flare.

Rosebud