Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:23

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
TJ, don't let the scale discourage you. It's common for weight loss to stall when you start exercising. Your body retains water and freaks out and just doesn't know what to do. What you are feeding me less food & making me workout at the same time?

The weight loss will start back up again as long as you are continuing to eat on plan and aren't eating too much extra because of your running. When I transitioned to exercising, my weight loss stalled for a few weeks, and I was pulling my hair out, whining about it constantly on the forum, and ready to chuck it all, but I stuck it out and the weight loss did start back up.

And your running speed will get better relatively quickly. The first 5k run I did was in 42 minutes! It was very slow. In only 3 years of running (and lots of time off due to injury, unfortunately), I've dropped that time to around 27:30 minutes. Your speed will pick up quickly as you progress.

Thanks Valerie for that motivation... It is hard seeing the scales go up when you go from sittiing and doing nothing to exercising again. You just expect for the weight to fall off, or I do... I see all these other peoples results with 3,4,5 pound loss in one week and I'm wondering what the heck do I need to starve myself or what...??? I guess I am whining .....I'm just so sick of the scale, maybe I will give it up for a week....

Congrats on your running success though ....some days are good, and some just suck though lol....

TJ
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 08:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Wow! 42 minutes to 27 minutes - gives me hope. My first 5K was 41 minutes and now I am down to 36:19 (woo hoo - sub 12 minute miles!). I love to think in two years I could do 27 minutes.

On the weight loss thing, it's so frustrating and I was up 5 pounds from doing my race, but I do feel like I managed to figure out low-carb running and weight loss - it just took a long time and I needed a break in between.

Maybe you could give yourself a break from losing for, say, six months and if you haven't lost more after running for that time, you can take a break from it? Your health is more important than your weight in the end, IMO. I ran as well or better at 235 pounds as I do now at close to 200 pounds - it's a sad reality that whaty it says on the scale has so little to do with fitness.

Running is also an incredible stress on your body - give it the attention it needs! If you were losing 2-3 pounds per week you might be at serious risk of injury.

Another factor is frequency and recovery. I am not a huge fan of the Couch to 5K program (at least for my body) because I would be terribly overtrained on it. I need more crosstraining than the Couch and other Runner's World training programs suggest. I think alot of people end up running far too many miles per week than they need to for optimal fitness or for the actual races they are looking to run, but that will be different for everybody and everybody has a different level of stamina. I am good at running slow for long distances, so I appreciate doing more intense workouts at shorter distances. Other people may need to work more on "going the distance".

I am thinking now that for every mile of a race, I will run a mile in training. So, for example, I will be training for a half-marathon by running 4.4 miles on Tuesday and 8.5 miles on Saturday with no other running at all except maybe speed repeats. Trainers and Runner's Worls would say I was crazy to think this. I think most people could complete a 5K if they ran 1.5 miles two days a week. Minimizing miles and maximizing crosstraining has worked for me in terms of encouraging weight loss.

Janine
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:50

Hey Everyone....Just completed week 4 day 1 and I must say it was difficult... I did the run in the park with a friend of mine along who is almost 6 feet tall, I am 5'3 and I was trying to keep up with him and I think that was the problem.... I am just not accustomed to jogging or walking as fast as he does and I struggled to keep up. Even during the recovery periods I was struggling to keep up with him....at the end he said he did that on purpose to make me challenge myself a little more...ha! Well it definitely worked lol... Anyway, usually I repeat the entire intervals over until I have completed 10 sets....today I did one lol.... Anyway, we finished the 3.2 mile walk through the park, twice around, and I was pooped... He's a jogger and a walker and wanted to continue but I told him I would wait for him lol...but he said he could finish up later...

Anyway, I was thinking about my diet as well and yesterday I sort of had an Atkins type day and I think that also had something to do with my energy levels today because my legs felt very, very heavy and my heels started burning at the end.... Don't know if it was the track or what.... Don't know if I will be going back to the park anytime soon...think I will stick to my neighborhood until I get better at this jogging thing...

Hope everyone has a great day!

TJ
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 06:43

Well just completed week 4, day 2 of the Couch to 5K Running Program... It does get easier, not so winded now...can run for longer intervals. It seems obtainable now that I am almost at the half way mark... I'm proud of myself for sticking to an exercise regime for this long...one day at a time! It was cool out this morning and that surely helped...looks like it is going to be a beautiful day!

TJ
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 08:39

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You're doing great! Enjoy the fun of it.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 06:06

Thanks Janine...I truely am enjoying it.... I actually still can't believe I'm doing it and am almost at the half way point...terrific!!!

Ok, completed day 3 of week 4 of the Couch to 5k Running Program... Right knee is bothering me so I only did one pass of the four intervals required and 8 minutes on the final one, but nothing beyond that. I might try to walk some more later after dropping dd off at camp... I might try icing it to see if that helps...it is sort of a burning sensation.... I definitely don't need any injuries at this point geez!

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Thu, Aug-14-08 at 06:22.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 07:09

Plan: Winging it
Stats: 225.8/191.9/145 Female 66
BF:

Just a note. I started running last April and although I didn’t do the C25K program I did something similar. By the time July rolled around I was doing 3 ½ - 4 miles a day 5 days a week. I was so proud of myself and my breathing was awesome. It had finally gotten to the point of not being labored. I remember thinking – Is this my body? I was happy and I was thinking how in tune my body was becoming. I had wings!

I started getting knee pain and so I laid off a bit but it kept hurting. Kind of a nagging pain that only hurt when I ran. Then one day it ended up being really tender and I was limping on it a little. Eventually I went to the Dr. had an MRI and turns out that I had a stress fracture on the inside of my lower leg right near my knee. He said no more running for at least 6 months and I was lucky that I caught it in time.

I was mad! I was so proud of my progress. There were days that were easy but most days of training were HARD. There were a lot of days where I had to stop and cry and then push myself to finish. I was so angry that all my hard work had come to an end.

So… moral of the story…be very careful if you are having knee pain!

As far as weight loss. I lost 1.5 pounds in 10 weeks of Low Fat/High Carb 1500 calories a day with all that running! Once I was diagnosed with a fracture (which was just last month) I said heck with it I’m going low carb.

I really miss running! That said good luck you are doing a fantastic job. I know what hard work it is and I can appreciate your sticking with it!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbflower
Just a note. I started running last April and although I didn’t do the C25K program I did something similar. By the time July rolled around I was doing 3 ½ - 4 miles a day 5 days a week. I was so proud of myself and my breathing was awesome. It had finally gotten to the point of not being labored. I remember thinking – Is this my body? I was happy and I was thinking how in tune my body was becoming. I had wings!

I started getting knee pain and so I laid off a bit but it kept hurting. Kind of a nagging pain that only hurt when I ran. Then one day it ended up being really tender and I was limping on it a little. Eventually I went to the Dr. had an MRI and turns out that I had a stress fracture on the inside of my lower leg right near my knee. He said no more running for at least 6 months and I was lucky that I caught it in time.

I was mad! I was so proud of my progress. There were days that were easy but most days of training were HARD. There were a lot of days where I had to stop and cry and then push myself to finish. I was so angry that all my hard work had come to an end.

So… moral of the story…be very careful if you are having knee pain!

As far as weight loss. I lost 1.5 pounds in 10 weeks of Low Fat/High Carb 1500 calories a day with all that running! Once I was diagnosed with a fracture (which was just last month) I said heck with it I’m going low carb.

I really miss running! That said good luck you are doing a fantastic job. I know what hard work it is and I can appreciate your sticking with it!

Thanks SB, I am beginning to be a little concerned... The pain didn't start when I began running though... It started probably around January when I started walking periodically, nothing consistent but I noticed it on the treadmill. When I started this program four weeks ago, I noticed it a little and tried to get my running posture right which helped and eliminated the pain on my left knee. This week, however, I noticed the burning in my right knee but that was after overdoing it on Tuesday...did the intervals 10 times instead of one time... So, I think the right knee is just stressed and I am sort of babying it right now...

That said, I am going to be very careful from now on and really stretch better before and after my runs....as well as ice the knee to prevent any injury... I really think it is my weight putting pressure on my knees that is causing the problem... They are just not used to this consistent exercise so I am starting some strengthening exercises to help.

Thanks for the info and your concern... It is really appreciated!

TJ
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 09:40

BF:

Yes, please do be careful because I thought the same thing. I thought my knees just don’t like my chubby butt running.

At first the Dr thought it was a torn meniscus which will NOT heal itself and would require surgery, so he ordered the MRI. That’s when he found the stress fracture. I certainly did not expect that!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-08, 06:46

Quote:
Yes, please do be careful because I thought the same thing. I thought my knees just don’t like my chubby butt running.

At first the Dr thought it was a torn meniscus which will NOT heal itself and would require surgery, so he ordered the MRI. That’s when he found the stress fracture. I certainly did not expect that!

Hey SB...I've definitely been careful....doing the knee strengthening exercises seems to be helping a great deal... Thanks for your concern...

It's been twelve years since I have been this consistent with exercise...since the birth of my daughter and I lost the baby weight... But even then I wasn't running, it was mostly step aerobics and weight training... It feels really good to be consistent with exercise and running again, something that I really enjoyed in my teens and twenties and how I kept the weight at bay... There is nothing like running outside in the fresh hair, clearing your head as you've stated, and feeling renewed and energized after it is over. My college boyfriend was really into running and we used to do it often... I always wanted to take it further and run a 5K but never got up the courage...so maybe now is my time. I haven't officially scheduled a race, but once I feel comfortable I defnitely will.

Well today was day one of week five, it went well, really well... Yes I am a turtle but I'm feeling good out there finally, not so winded, working more on my form, and trying to get and keep a rhythm going usually to the music that I am listening to. Without music I don't what I would do... I ran a little extra interval to see how long I could run and I was astounded...22 minutes... Today was four five minute intervals with 3 minute recoveries in between. Looking forward to tomorrow and Friday! Good luck to all you cool runners this week... I'm so proud of myself today...today is a good day!

TJ
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-08, 07:42

Ran later than usual because dd started school today. Completed Day 2 of Week 5, started out difficult for some reason...probably my diet yesterday....or just not feeling well. Hope everyone has a great day....on to Friday and the 20 minute run...
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 09:23

BF:
Thumbs up Do a 5k!

I’m glad to see that you’re sticking with it and your knees are holding up. My Dr said no running for at least 6 months but I’m starting to do a little strengthening now that it doesn’t hurt as much.

I tried walking with weights on my ankles yesterday and I had to take them off after about 2 blocks because I could feel a twinge in my knee and the whole point is to get stronger. So I took them off and put them around my wrist. I could feel the muscles in my upper back were a bit tight this morning. Who would have thought that would have made any difference? It’s not like I was pumping my arms or anything.

I would definitely sign up for a 5k. You don’t have to wait until you can run the whole way. There are usually plenty of walkers in 5k’s. Besides it’ll give you a place to start and a goal to reach for. I think my first 5k was done in 00:41:18 and there were walkers that were passing me! Whatever you do…have fun!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-08, 17:29

Quote:
I’m glad to see that you’re sticking with it and your knees are holding up. My Dr said no running for at least 6 months but I’m starting to do a little strengthening now that it doesn’t hurt as much.

I tried walking with weights on my ankles yesterday and I had to take them off after about 2 blocks because I could feel a twinge in my knee and the whole point is to get stronger. So I took them off and put them around my wrist. I could feel the muscles in my upper back were a bit tight this morning. Who would have thought that would have made any difference? It’s not like I was pumping my arms or anything.

I would definitely sign up for a 5k. You don’t have to wait until you can run the whole way. There are usually plenty of walkers in 5k’s. Besides it’ll give you a place to start and a goal to reach for. I think my first 5k was done in 00:41:18 and there were walkers that were passing me! Whatever you do…have fun!

Hey SB, happy to see that you are at least walking on the knee. It is amazing what a little weight can do, especially if you are not accustomed to it.

I still haven't signed up for a 5K yet, but am currently looking for one around late October or early November... Thanks for the inifo and I really appreciate your support...

TJ
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 07:49

I completed my 20 minute run today....it wasn't stellar because I am indeed a turtle, but I ended up doing 25 minutes so I feel good about that! I haven't told anyone in my family that I am doing this program, because I thought I would have quit by now... Can't believe it....got her done!!!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-08, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/174.5/132 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi

Might if I join you guys?

I just did my (Week 5 Day 3) 20 min run today and I'm still on a high! That is the first time in my life I have run (well shuffled) for 20 mins straight, what a great feeling.

Bec