Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 06:54

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Progress: 0%
Default The Link Will Help Calculate All Daily Req. Nutrients

Hi everyone:
Trying to find what works best for me is real hard work (a job actually). I'm driving myself crazy. At 136.5 and 57 years old and mostly sedendary, the calculator says I should have 1487 calories per day with 167 g. protein, 74 g. of fat and 37 g. of carb. The protein count is quite different than what the Eades recommend (27 per meal, total for 4 meals - 108 g) Yesterday, I had approximately 1500 calories and maintained. I want to loose and get to 130.

After viewing site, I'd like feedback.

CARB, PROTEIN, FAT CALCULATOR
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nu..._calculator.htm. The one of interest would be the "VERY LOW CARB - ketogenic. Once you do this step, go down to the link "ideal daily calorie intake".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 20:55

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Yesterday, I had approximately 1500 calories and maintained.

i don't think you can judge by just one day. sometimes it takes a week or more just to loose one lb, especially since you are so close to goal.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-05, 05:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

First, I'm with Aci. One day proves nothing.

Second, I LOVE THAT SITE! How cool!

I just love that you can plug in how many calories you want, and the percentages you're aiming for, the number of meals you eat a day, and it tells you total for the day and total for each meal!

And it has cycling, too!

I can't tell you how many times I've sat with my calculator trying this and trying that.

Meldan, we've not met before. Hi! I'm Bawdy! I usually post over in the Java Room in the Protein Power forum, and in my journal. I have a gym log, too, but don't post there much. Not enough free time to play on the Internet!

If you were to go to my journal or the Java Room, you'd see that I've been struggling lately. I did a full week of BFFM, with carbs around 100 grams per day. YIKES!

Well, after a week, I can honestly say, I FEEL WORSE THAN BEFORE! And I feel like I've gained EVEN MORE!

Some people will say that I'm giving up too soon, but I need to try to go back to my roots, to what works better for me. No, not back to exactly where I was before BFFM, way back to when I was completely successful.

I need to keep the calories low. Carbs WAY low. Fat and protein high, with fat a little higher than protein.

Using that site, I'm going to cycle from 1328 to 1494 calories, with 50% fat, 45% protein, and 5% carbs. I'm still going to lift, but I'm scaling back a bit. I'll be ramping up my cardio. I'll do 30 to 40 minutes of cardio at my target heart rate (138) at least 4 times a week. Maybe sneak in a couple HIIT cardio workouts.

So, that's my story.

Thanks so much for telling us about that site. Really cool! Of course, I'm a sucker for anything that could be described as anal!

#4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-05, 09:05

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Progress: 0%
Default Your Welcome Bawdy

I want to thank you as well for all of your excellent posts that I've learned so much from. I'm glad you liked the calculator with the cycling method. I do was going nuts trying to figure things out and then I came across that site and it gave me what I wanted to know. Good luck cycling. Let us know how it works out.
By the way, what's Aci?????????
Mel

Last edited by meldan111 : Sat, Oct-29-05 at 09:07. Reason: Left out some info!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-05, 09:15

BF:

Aci = Acipenser. She was the second person to post on this thread. Acipenser is the Latin name for a sturgeon. She's a freshwater biologist (she may correct me on that, but this is how I think of her) and she studies sturgeon. I call her Aci because Acipenser is too long to type, especially at the end of a long day!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 21:16

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

Quote:
(she may correct me on that, but this is how I think of her)

i have been though of as worse!!hehe

the only think i would correct is fish biologist, i really don't study the water, just the fish....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 17:57

BF:

So, would that be an icthiologist?

Maybe an Aciologist?

#8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 18:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Something is a little fishy here.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 10:23

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Interesting site. I use DietPower software to track my food & exercise and find that when I am losing well and eating according to hunger, I tend to naturally cycle my calories just like this site suggests (~2 days lower followed by one day higher). Now I plan to cycle on purpose if I hit a plateau & will check this site for cals/day. I do best on 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat and like the fact that this site lets YOU choose.

The closest thing to Acipenser-loving ichthiologists around here are Piscichnus-loving ichnologists (paleontologists who look at traces left behind by fish & other organisms); I am not one but know several. Piscichnus (I love saying that) is the feeding trace fossil left behind after a sturgeon plunges its snout into the mud to grab something to eat.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Nov-02-05 at 10:44.