Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 08:20

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i no longer count anything. after awhile, you learn what you can tolerate and what you cannot.
it gets really simple and becomes your way of life, naturally.

good luck to you.

Exactly right. In the very beginning, I may have looked at the carb counts of things and over time learned what I can and cannot have. It does become a way of life and the new normal. So many people who comment to me how I eat so strange, but to me, it's normal.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: own
Stats: 184/141/132 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi, LAwoman75. I am originally from LA myself....Andalusia (if we are talking about the same LA you might have heard of it).

I am really dreading the upcoming holidays. Although I really love turkey & ham; I also like the dressing, mashed potatoes, and pie that accompany them.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 22:26
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 325/216/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have lost 100+ pounds this year counting calories but truth be told I don't strictly count and log - haven't for some months. I do keep as low on the carbs as possible! Has worked for me!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 06:45

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean1183
Hi, LAwoman75. I am originally from LA myself....Andalusia (if we are talking about the same LA you might have heard of it).

I am really dreading the upcoming holidays. Although I really love turkey & ham; I also like the dressing, mashed potatoes, and pie that accompany them.

My LA is Louisiana, never heard of Andulausia?
The holidays can be tricky because of all the carby things in front of us so often. For Thanksgiving, I will have my turkey, green beans, sweet potato casserole (made with splenda, walnuts, cinnimon, and butter). If you fill up on the 'better' things, you will be less likely to reach for the bad things like stuffing and pie. I try to cure my sweet tooth with the sweet potatoes. With that said, days like Thanksgiving and Christmas are very special, and sometimes, for some people, it's okay to let yourself have some pie or off-foods, as long as you understand that it's only for that meal/special day. Some here won't agree with that, but for me, I've splurged on holidays a little and have gotten right back on track the next days with no problem.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-10, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: own
Stats: 184/141/132 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 83%

Good advice. I will try to fill up on the "good" things then maybe have a little of the other.

LOL, on the LA. In Alabama (where I am orginally from) we refer to the very southern part of the state as "L"ower "A"labama. We even joke that anything past Montgomery is "the North".
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-11, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: AtKiNs
Stats: 210/196/150 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 23%

I will eye ball the carbs on a food label if I am in doubt, but I just try to eat clean. Steak, chicken, pork, tuna, salad, veggies.. no white foods/bread...no sugar if I can help it.

SO far so good.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 09:48

Plan: Atkins/Paleo mix
Stats: 219/209.4/170 Female 5 feet, 8 inches
BF:Yep
Progress: 20%

I absolutely refuse to count anything. I eat some veggies with two out of three meals, eat meat and cheese and some cream/fat otherwise. I don't tell people I'm on Atkins- I tell them I stopped eating "non-foods," i.e. things that do not occur naturally in nature like doughnuts, cake, chips, casseroles, french fries, etc. Only exceptions would be the occasional sugar free jello or cup of diet caffeine free soda.

I agree with Requin. I hate math. If I start counting, I start obsessing, and I can't keep that level of attention up for any amount of time!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: Stella Style
Stats: 201.5/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm so glad I found you guys! I don't count either; I absolutely refuse to. I've been there, done that and it made me neurotic and obsessed with food, whether I counted points, calories, fat grams or carb grams. I did it all.

When I decided to return to lowcarbing, I knew I would have to do it differently. No more counting. I got all the George Stella books; he doesn't believe in counting either. I got the book TNT which has a comprehensive chapter on eating low carb foods without counting. Aside from that and the recipe chapter, I can live without the rest of that book, but the low carb food choices explanation is a gem.

It is very freeing to just eat low carb foods and make this a way of life. I know what to eat and what not to eat. And as time goes on, I'll learn more of what works for me and what doesn't.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope we can keep it going and share tips and stories.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-11, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

No counting here either, I did count the first time I was on Atkins and also became to obsessed. I was writing everything down even my weight and measurements, amount of time on the treadmill, water consumption. This time around I am having the same results without all the stress of counting. I just eat the way I should be eating. I feel great and I am losing weight. It is all good.

Linda
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 08:47

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Yuk maths, no thanks. No sugar, no flour products.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I chose to follow SB simply because it did not require counting carbs. But little did I realize back then, that I'd still be counting something.

I watch portion sizes and count my number of fruit(1-2) and starch( 1-2) servings daily...cause if I don't I get into trouble.
I measure and weigh portions sometimes if I'm not sure. I keep track of my calorie desne foods like cheese( 2 ozs per day) and nuts( 1 oz per day) as I can easily go overboard on both.

So there's always something to count.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 14:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't count carbs, fats, protein, calories. I do count meals as I prefer keeping them down to 1 or 2 meals a day. My dietary menu is very low carb...there are some days when I probably consume no real carbs at all.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 14:19

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

I do not count either. I have a good idea of what I should have or should not have in a day. I try to not add any of the extras.. like whipped cream.. or the "treats" you can make up to make yourself think you are getting something that you are not supposed to have. that triggered cravings for me so i just keep it simple, eat natural stuff.. "the end"
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/222/166 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin
I hate math. I don't count anything.

I have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't low carb, and if I'm not sure, that is what google is for. So I simply "eat low carb" as well.

That IS what google is for!! I don't count either I just know what I can and cannot eat
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-11, 16:37
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Don't forget coconut oil, animal fat, garlic and cream are all white too!

I don't count either. If I buy something at the supermarket (eg prepared burgers) I just look at the ingredients to make sure there's no sugar, wheat or other nasties, otherwise it's plain natural foods with the carbohydrate content coming mainly from green leafy veg.