Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 17:39

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%
Default A question for people who follow fallon's nourishing traditions:

anyone know what the carb count would be like for something like rejuvelac? or some of the lacto-fermented veggies? i was thinking about trying the lacto-fermented carrots, and was wondering if some of the sugars would be 'eaten up' thru the fermentation process, in the same way that the sugars in milk get eaten up when yogurt ferments?

sorry if this is the wrong place for my post, i just didnt know where else to ask.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 14:42

does anyone know where i can find carb counts for homemade fermented foods?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

This message board might be able to answer your questions:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/native-nutrition/
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 15:58

thanks, i'd forgotten about that yahoo group.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 00:10

Default lacto-fermented foods are low in carbs. :D

i came across this the other day, and thought i'd copy over the info in case anyone else is interested.

Quote:
Lacto-Fermentation

Kay Schmidt suggests a similar way to reduce the blood glucose levels of some fruits and vegetables. It uses a process called lacto-fermentation, which she explains: “I manage my insulin dependent type 2 mom, using Dr. Richard Bernstein’s philosophy of low carb. Mom misses some of her favorite foods, and I have been searching for ways to make it possible to let her enjoy some foods again.

“Recently, I learned about lacto-fermentation (pickling using whey

“ instead of vinegar), and its health benefits. I made lacto-fermented pickled beets, apple slices, zucchini, and yellow summer squash. I then had mom eat samples—about 1/4 cup each—and checked her blood sugars every 1/2 hour for 2 hours. I could not believe the results. The pickled beets and apples did not budge mom’s sugars. Ordinarily, beets and apples will cause mom’s sugars to spike too high. I even cooked the fermented apples into an apple sauce, and this didn’t budge mom’s blood sugar. Zucchini and yellow summer squash normally has only a small effect on mom’s sugar, but the lacto-fermented samples didn’t budge her blood sugar. Lacto-fermentation is different than just eating acidic foods. The lacto-fermentation process actually uses carbs in the food, converts it to lactic acid, and lowers the carb content. Fermented foods are a condiment, not a side dish, and so large amounts are not eaten at a time. Despite the seemingly small serving size, the fermentation adds enzymes and nutrients. Canned, cooked, or frozen vegetables and fruits lose nutrients. Most lacto-fermented foods are still considered raw food, so enzymes and nutrients are retained, and have the added benefit of nutrients being added back in by lacto-fermentation. Pickled beets are an exception…The beets are dry baked in the oven first before pickling. Not all foods are suitable for lacto-fermentation. I tried doing fruit juice, but it was ineffective for controlling the post-prandial sugar spike.

“It is easy to lacto-ferment veggies and suitable fruits. Wash thoroughly, cut into slices or small pieces, and pack tightly into a jar or crock. If using quart jars, add 4 tbs whey, 1 tbs natural sea salt (not iodized), spices, and water—filtered or distilled (not plain tap water). Water should to be added to within an inch of the top. Jars need to be sealed tightly...just a canning lid and ring…but it doesn’t have to be put in a canner or water bath...just tightly sealed. Set in a warm place for 2-3 days, then store in a dark, cool place. It’s not uncommon for the ‘brine’ to bubble and hiss as the fermentation process continues.

“The food needs to be kept submerged in the liquid. Foods tend to float up, and the top part is no longer in the brine, which is not an ideal situation. I haven’t figured out a good way when using quart jars to prevent this from happening. I guess that’s why crocks are used…the opening is large enough to put some sort of weight on top of the food to keep it below liquid level. And, there are specially designed crocks now that have lids that create an airtight seal using water. The one drawback with this crock design, the water needs to be carefully watched so it can be replenished to maintain the airtight seal.

“Vegetables will last a long time…a year and more. Fruit should be eaten within a few months, because they can become ‘hard’ fairly easily. Lacto-fermentating of fruit juice can easily cause it to become vinegar.

“One way to obtain whey is by draining yogurt. One quart of yogurt will produce about a pint of whey, and the yogurt used should have live cultures. It takes about 24 hours for yogurt to fully drain. When the whey

“ is drained out of yogurt, yocheese is made as a ‘by-product,’ which can be used in place of cream cheese in recipes, or eaten, flavored with Davinci syrups, or even without flavoring. I’m not necessarily advocating yogurt or yocheese for people with diabetes. With this, YMMV on how one’s blood sugar responds. Lacto-fermentation seems to augment the effect of the spices. People need to experiment with quantity to suit their taste buds. Also, one can use any spices in their favorite recipes when lacto-fermenting.

“Sally Fallon’s book, Nourishing Traditions , (NewTrends Publishing, 1999) is an introduction to lacto-fermentation. Other books include Klaus Kaufmann and Annelies Schoneck’s Making Sauerkraut and Pickled Vegetables at Home (Alive Books, 2002), and Sandor Ellix Katz's Wild Fermentation (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2003).”

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...+sea+salt&hl=en
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-26-04, 19:12

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks Walnut! Been looking for this information.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 22:39

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%
Default fermentation

Hi, I follow sally fallon's nourishong traditions. I switched from atkins, mostly because something felt like it was missing something, that it was based too much on what was not allowed. I like NT because it presents such a large picture of a well-rounded diet and then encourages the reader to make choices based on genetics. I find it to be very accurate. I have a nordic heritage and just LOVE and CRAVE the pickled salmon and fish head broth. My husband loves the sourdough bread. I have slowly learned how to prepare food according to the NT principles and have not found a bad recipe in the book.

I just returned from the "wise traditions" conference in denver, colorado and was thrilled to meet sally fallon. I also learned about the harmful effects of synthetic supplements, which is something I did not know about. I feel so much better now that I don't take supplements and instead look to my food as medicine. On atkins I would not touch carrots, bread or honey. Now I really enjoy fermented ginger carrots, sourdoughbread and raw honey. I have gained about 5 lbs but I look and feel much better and feel I have a healthier outlook regarding food and carbs. I don't count them anymore but still maintain my weight, all the while eating like a lumberjack. Haha

Last edited by lillylou : Sun, Apr-09-06 at 22:49.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 06:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally posted by lillylou
I also learned about the harmful effects of synthetic supplements, which is something I did not know about. I feel so much better now that I don't take supplements and instead look to my food as medicine.

By synthetic supplements, do you mean taking things like Vitamin C, calcium/magnesium in tablet form, for example?? Could you expand on why taking them would be harmful?