Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 07:58
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Adjustment From Hell

Hello.

It's one of the newbies again already with more questions. I have had chronic muscle constriction and muscle and joint pain for about 12 years now. (I've never had it diagnosed, but I'm sure it's something like fibromyalgia.) I started LC again on Feb. 11, and the pain has actually gotten more acute than it's ever been. Also, I'm absolutely exhausted, moreso than I ever remember being. It's been over 2 weeks now of really intensely adhering to LC, and rapidly and naturally gravitating toward Paleo.

I keep thinking that any day now, I'll get a boost of energy or less pain ... or something. But it's all I can do to drag myself through the day and get myself into bed. I can hardly walk sometimes because the pain is so bad. Sometimes I feel like I'm going insane because I just can't seem to even think straight ... my brain is very foggy.

If there is anyone who can relate to this and has any advice/input whatsoever, I would sure appreciate it. If you have the time, you can scroll through my journal and see what I've eaten in the last week.

I want to lose a lot of weight, for sure, but more than that, I just want to feel better. Even a little bit better would be great at this point. Maybe I'm being impatient, but I think that any day now, the sun should peek through and my adjustment period become a thing of the past.

Looking forward to energy and painfree existence!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:24

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Jen: After reading your posts and journal, I have questions and comments.
Do you still take psyllium husks? If you are don't.
You mention eating salad. What do you put in and on it?
What do you cook your fish and meat in?
You don't seem to be eating enough. I don't see any fat, seeds or fruit in your menus.
NeanderThin author asks that you restrict coffee (not because it contains caffiene but because it is made from beans and he doesn't think any kind of bean is good for you). He recommends green tea (which can contain caffiene if you don't buy the decaffienated).
Although I don't have fibromyalgia, I have almost completely cured my arthritis, depression, fatigue.
The only supplements I take are pharmaceutical grade fish oil.
Oh and I forgot, alcohol is not allowed, but if you must have it I think the author recommends a dry wine, not sure cause I wasn't interested in the alcohol part as I don't drink.

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 10:36.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jen,

Are you taking any supplements? Many folks report the symptoms you're describing clearing up after taking cal/mag and potassium. It's worth a try.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 12:23
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hellistile,

I'm glad you responded. I've been reading quite a few of your posts and you seem to be pretty far along on the track that I'm just heading out on. It is really good to be in touch with someone who has pretty much cured their pain and fatigue. I always knew that a cure was possible (even though all the medical folks say there isn't).

I know I'm not eating enough. I plan to try to change that. My appetite has dropped off tremendously, and when I'm hurting and exhausted, I sometimes just want to forego the food and go to bed. I am going to get some fruit later today and start eating a piece each morning. I'll get some seeds too.

My husband grills a lot of our meat and fish (propane), and usually slathers it with olive oil or butter and herbs first. We leave the skin on the salmon. If we use the stove for meat, we use olive oil with it. Sometimes he'll use bacon grease, like with liver and onions. He told me he was planning some scallops in bacon wraps for tonight ... I can hardly wait.

My salads are generally always pretty much the same: mixed greens and/or spinach, onion, cucumber, tomato, avocado (usually a half), pine nuts, and black olives. My dressing a bottled dressing from the health food store called Annie's Naturals Yellow Pepper & Tomato Vinaigrette. It's made with extra virgin olive oil and expeller pressed safflower oil, and honey. I split the bottle of dressing in half and fill both bottles up with olive oil.

I want to quit taking the psyllium capsules because I hate taking all those pills every day (see my post above this one entitled Supplements ??), but I was wondering what you know about psyllium that makes it undesirable to take?

It didn't occur to me until I read your post that the reason coffee is a no-no is because of the bean issue, not the caffeine. I do drink green tea but it's decaffeinated. Maybe I'll get the caffeine version and replace the coffee, and then wean myself off of caffeine with the tea instead. Since I'm addicted to caffeine, I want to eliminate it too.

Alcohol. Hmmm. I sure wish I could say it isn't an issue for me, but it is, and it has been for years. I'm doing really good by just having one glass of dry wine per day with dinner. Again, an addiction, and it needs to go. Since yesterday, I'm feeling like it needs to go now, as it seems to make me feel some heartburn.

When my NeanderThin book arrives in a couple of days, I'm sure I'll have much more enlightenment, but in the meantime, you have certainly helped. Thank you sso much.

Jennifer
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:36
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply. I have been taking some supplements, the ones you mentioned, plus some malic acid and Relora (for cortisol reduction). I found out the hard way that magnesium oxide is "elemental" magnesium, and more likely to cause diarrhea. After about the 4th day of gastro distress, I switched to magnesium malate and got some psyllium husk caps. By day 6, I was starting to get back to normal. Whew!!

I am working on getting my diet completely in line with all the NeanderThin recommendations, and then I plan on discontinuing the supplements. (I absolutely abhor taking pills!) But I know that I need some nutritional support right now during my adjustment period, up until the time I'm a paleolithic purist and feel confident that I'm getting everything I need from the food. I don't even have my NeanderThin book yet, but I've read enough on this forum and elsewhere to get the basics, and to know that this is the plan for me.

I love the recipe section, especially the Atkins induction-suitable recipes, and I see all your hard work there. I tried the cheesy veggie stuffed pork chops, and it is absolutely amazing. Now that I've decided to forego dairy, I'll need to make an adjustment to the recipe, but I'm sure I'll come up with something!

This whole forum is fabulous, and all those responsible for setting it up and moderating it are amazing (and greatly appreciated). Thanks again.

Jennifer
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 13:47

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Regarding the psyllium husks and despite what is written in Dr. A's book, I had read somewhere that they can cause diarhhea and that they can severely irritate and damage intestinal walls. I don't always believe what I read at first glance but since I have never needed to take them, just filed that away in the back of my mind until I read your post.
I am glad that you have decided to eat more and you are right that feeling better and getting your health back is more important that rapid weight loss.
You have not mentioned if you are under a doctor's care. If not, perhaps finding one that is sympathetic and knowledgeable towards low-carbing might help.
The Internet is a great source of information and reading up on Paleo and general low carb is immensely useful. My favorites (although I don't always agree with everything therein) are the Weston Price Foundation, the Barry Groves site, Dr. Mercola's site, The Omnivore.com site to name a few.
Another consideration for your fatigue problem may be food allergies.
Jen, it took me almost a month on low-carbing before I actually started feeling good and I have made alterations that work for me. You seem to be doing this as well.
Karen's advice about cal/mag with potassium can't hurt either.
Also, I added coconut oil to my diet (since going Paleo in October) and now cook everything in it. Olive oil I reserve only for salads now.
PS I love my coffee so much that I allow myself a large one in the morning with real cream.

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 14:38.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 07:58
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hellistile,

I was looking around for articles about psyllium and couldn't find anything negative, but I'm gonna keep my eye out. The only thing I found was someone saying it was not good to take psyllium husks without the psyllium seeds, or it would cause damage. I'm not sure how the seeds can prevent the husks from doing damage, however (that wasn't covered). My product is pure husks. In any event, a couple days ago, I got an intuitive feeling that I should stop taking the psyllium, as the problem I got them for was corrected. I gave the bottle to a friend of mine who is having a problem with constipation, so they found a good home.

I have not gone to doctors for many years. Back when I did go to doctors, I had many unsatisfactory experiences. I decided that I would become my own doctor. That seems to be my best approach toward the care of my body. Recently, I have experienced so many intuitive promptings from my body that I feel like I am being led by the wisdom inherent in every cell. As I really tune myself to listening and following, the guidance seems to increase. I'm really enjoying this inner communication, and I truly believe that I am re-integrating a wholeness between body-mind-spirit that was severed and separated a long time ago.

Yesterday, I found some coconut oil. My husband sauteed some shrimp and scallops in it for dinner. Absolutely luscious! Then when I saw the pan drippings and didn't want to let them go to waste, I used a rubber spatula and got every last drop. Exquisite! Thanks to you (and Steveed on another thread) for turning me on to coconut oil. It was very expensive at my health food store, however; maybe I'll search for another source on-line. Any suggestions?

Back when I went to doctors, I did go to a naturopath who did an allergy test on me, and said I was allergic to all kinds of things. I ate strictly according to this recommendation for a long, long time with no results. Then another naturopath, who did a different kind of allergy test (supposedly more accurate), gave me a whole other list of my allergens (including garlic!). I switched to the elimination of those things, also with zero results. When I combined the two lists, there was pretty much nothing left for me to eat. Much confusion was the result of that experience. And I figured that if I felt bad no matter which approach I took, I might as well eat what I wanted.

Thanks for the sites ... I will check them out. Your statement that it took a month for you to feel good is very encouraging to me. It helps with my patience factor. I am so ready for an improvement in my condition, and my patience at this point is very thin.

Jennifer