Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 23:12
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 3,125
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

Jimmy Moore bio:

Quote:
Jimmy Moore is an internationally bestselling author, podcaster, and inspiring speaker who is a highly sought-after lecturer around the world. He catapulted onto the health scene in 2004 after a phenomenal 180-pound weight loss enabled him to come off prescription drugs for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and respiratory problems. He is the energetic personality behind the uber-popular blog Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb and the host of the longest-running and top-ranked health podcast, The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show, as well as Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore & Dr. Will Cole, The KetoHacking MD Podcast, and The Nutritional Pearls Podcast. He has interviewed well over 1,400 of the world’s top health experts and has dedicated his life to helping people get the best information possible about nutrition and lifestyle so they can make the right decisions for their health. He’s has authored or coauthored a series of books, including Keto Clarity, The Keto Cure, The Ketogenic Cookbook, The Complete Guide to Fasting, and Cholesterol Clarity.

https://livinlavidalowcarb.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-19, 23:45
Little Me's Avatar
Little Me Little Me is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,154
 
Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/170/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 95%
Location: SoCal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Feel sorry for Jimmy Moore. Some will stop at nothing to eliminate the "offenders" of whatever dogma they support. Respectful debate is becoming a thing of the past. When actions like this can happen anonymously, it's now an invisible force that can harm people without any fear of retribution or personal responsibility, and quickly it gets out of control.


A lot like our politics of today.
Reply With Quote
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 04:29
Demi's Avatar
Demi Demi is offline
Posts: 22,489
 
Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 217/182/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Location: UK
Default



University chief bans all beef from campus in fight against 'climate change emergency'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...climate-change/
Reply With Quote
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 04:42
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 3,125
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

An act so wrong in the spirit of doing right. We are starting to see more of this at companies who expect employees to abstain from eating meat to other educational and commercial organizations. Thank goodness there are those wise people with the decision-making power to save us from ourselves.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, Aug-13-19 at 05:07.
Reply With Quote
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 05:03
cotonpal's Avatar
cotonpal cotonpal is offline
Posts: 4,577
 
Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/128/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 106%
Location: Vermont
Default

I was at a dinner meeting yesterday evening. We met in the community room of my food coop. This was a special meeting, a kind of board retreat. The expectation was that people could pick up dinner at the coop to be eaten during the meeting. I overheard one of the board member turn to another who is a vegetarian and ask her if she would be offended by the meat item that this member had purchased. I was kind of horrified that someone felt the need to apologize in this way for eating meat. The vegetarian assured her that it was just fine but I know that there are others in that community who would not be polite or nice. Since I don't eat dinner I ate nothing and a got some questions about why I wasn't buying food but no criticism.
Reply With Quote
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 07:11
Kristine's Avatar
Kristine Kristine is offline
Forum Moderator
Posts: 20,434
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 171/155/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Default

Here's another perspective, and I wish some journalists would follow up on this:

I work in food service. Most of our customers would be thoroughly SICKENED by how much food waste we create. Most of it is carby crap.

We have meat and animal products. They have an expiry time of 4 hours - 12 hours. We don't waste too much of that. And this isn't a food safety thing, it's a freshness/appeal thing.

These stupid new fake meat sausages and burgers? 2 hours.

If you're veg/*n for religious/personal reasons, cool. But if you think you're helping curb climate change or some nonsense by buying our meatless products... um, no. If you want to save the damn environment, stop spending your money at fast food joints and expecting all of your products available at all times... because the only way to do that is to create a horrific amount of waste.

Buy your own food at grocery stores and cook for yourself as much as you can. Eat real meat and use it all - save the bones for broth. Wanna go to a restaurant? At least go to one where your food is made to order, and there's far less waste.

Y'know, another thing about eating real meat and real food is that you're happy subsiding on 1500-2500 calories a day. Are you saving the environment stuffing yourself with the vegetarian crap on a bun that makes you hungry enough to eat 3000+ calories a day? Probably not.
Reply With Quote
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 09:18
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 11,979
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/123/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 139%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Here's another perspective, and I wish some journalists would follow up on this:

I work in food service. Most of our customers would be thoroughly SICKENED by how much food waste we create. Most of it is carby crap.

We have meat and animal products. They have an expiry time of 4 hours - 12 hours. We don't waste too much of that. And this isn't a food safety thing, it's a freshness/appeal thing.

These stupid new fake meat sausages and burgers? 2 hours.

If you're veg/*n for religious/personal reasons, cool. But if you think you're helping curb climate change or some nonsense by buying our meatless products... um, no. If you want to save the damn environment, stop spending your money at fast food joints and expecting all of your products available at all times... because the only way to do that is to create a horrific amount of waste.

Buy your own food at grocery stores and cook for yourself as much as you can. Eat real meat and use it all - save the bones for broth. Wanna go to a restaurant? At least go to one where your food is made to order, and there's far less waste.

Y'know, another thing about eating real meat and real food is that you're happy subsiding on 1500-2500 calories a day. Are you saving the environment stuffing yourself with the vegetarian crap on a bun that makes you hungry enough to eat 3000+ calories a day? Probably not.


SO much this.
Reply With Quote
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 09:50
CityGirl8 CityGirl8 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 856
 
Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%
Location: PNW
Default

Just to raise a flag and make sure we're criticizing the right platform:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I saw a post by Jimmy Moore on Dr. Westman's LC Support Group on FB this morning. Apparently his youtube videos were targeted by some vegan group recently (as he saw an uptick in negative comments), then suddenly his account was shut down and 15 years worth of content wiped out. He is appealing the decision.
In other words, he posted on FB to tell people that his YouTube account was shut down.

As for the war on meat, I've been waging a war on vegetarians. I make fun of my friends and relatives who are vegetarians--teasing, not bullying fun. We frequently refer to Gary Larson's tofudebeest.

I try to also say things like "That pasta you're eating does look yummy, but I'm trying to eat healthier." I really hate that the vegetarian and low-fat crowd think they've cornered the market on "eating healthy." I'm just trying to do my little bit on re-framing the conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:23
bevangel's Avatar
bevangel bevangel is offline
Posts: 2,053
 
Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Location: Austin, TX
Default

This thread and one in the Low-Carb War Zone ("The Low Carb Community is it's own worst enemy") strike me both being related to the topic of nutritional zealotry versus nutritional enthusiasm.

When does enthusiasm cross the line into zealotry? My first approximation answer is: An enthusiast SHARES information and thereby attempts to convince others to voluntarily convert to his/her way of thinking. A zealot attempts to cut off the exchange of any information contrary to his/her way of thinking and to FORCE others to act according to his/her way of thinking regardless of whether they think/feel differently.

Under my definition, 99.99% of the members of this forum are nutritional enthusiasts, not zealots...and I've met/interacted online with very very few low-carb zealots. OTOH, the University Warden (President? Dean?) discussed in this article qualifies as a nutritional zealot. And, unfortunately, I've met/interacted online with a good many Vegans who are nutritional zealots.

What do y'all think? How would you draw the line between zealotry and enthusiasm? If this topic too political for discussion here, I'll post a similar message on the War-zone thread.
Reply With Quote
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 10:52
rightnow's Avatar
rightnow rightnow is offline
Every moment is NOW.
Posts: 21,102
 
Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/350/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 71%
Location: Ozarks USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I saw a post by Jimmy Moore on Dr. Westman's LC Support Group on FB this morning. Apparently his youtube videos were targeted by some vegan group recently (as he saw an uptick in negative comments), then suddenly his account was shut down and 15 years worth of content wiped out. He is appealing the decision.

It really is a war. It's scary to see where this could go.

Gee and I thought this was just going on so horribly with politics and religion (where the definition of what is political gets stretched to cover nearly everything). Apparently since some of the same people are involved, now it also covers food. Controlling-bodies, government or corporate, that allow themselves to be weaponized by mobs, are supporting the development of that in the culture.


Arielle I'm shocked that anybody in the LC world online doesn't know Jimmy Moore. The guy pretty much worked night and day for years and years to establish LC online and bring together the various initially pretty separate voices and experts and so on. But regardless, when someone has fifteen years of content somewhere and tons of viewers, to suddenly just trash all that because the predictably-we-already-know-from-other-topics-biased employees have a personal opinion, is profoundly wrong. It's the definition of tyranny.



I'm normally of the "they own it, their world" philosophy, but that is when private business has not become akin to a ubiquitous public market, more powerful and more rich than half the world's governments, and is not working in RICO tandem with a bunch more just like them to control the entire wall of major media and communication on planet earth. It's kind of nauseating to realize this BS which is such a bad situation in some other areas right now, has got its hysterical mob hands on lowcarb now as well.



PJ
Reply With Quote
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 12:19
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 11,369
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/188/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Gee and I thought this was just going on so horribly with politics and religion (where the definition of what is political gets stretched to cover nearly everything). Apparently since some of the same people are involved, now it also covers food. Controlling-bodies, government or corporate, that allow themselves to be weaponized by mobs, are supporting the development of that in the culture.


Arielle I'm shocked that anybody in the LC world online doesn't know Jimmy Moore. The guy pretty much worked night and day for years and years to establish LC online and bring together the various initially pretty separate voices and experts and so on. But regardless, when someone has fifteen years of content somewhere and tons of viewers, to suddenly just trash all that because the predictably-we-already-know-from-other-topics-biased employees have a personal opinion, is profoundly wrong. It's the definition of tyranny.



I'm normally of the "they own it, their world" philosophy, but that is when private business has not become akin to a ubiquitous public market, more powerful and more rich than half the world's governments, and is not working in RICO tandem with a bunch more just like them to control the entire wall of major media and communication on planet earth. It's kind of nauseating to realize this BS which is such a bad situation in some other areas right now, has got its hysterical mob hands on lowcarb now as well.



PJ



I agree with everything you just posted PJ.
Reply With Quote
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-19, 22:45
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 12,374
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/214/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Ya, I was slow to find more support than this forum and my then bible DANDR.

Generally I need a link via a thread to know about a source.

I do hope the material will be restored.... what a shame. How do we campaign to get it back ?? If messages get it removed, messages of support might return it.
Reply With Quote
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 00:02
Demi's Avatar
Demi Demi is offline
Posts: 22,489
 
Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 217/182/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
From The Telegraph
London, UK
14 August, 2019

Want to protect the planet? Eat more beef, not less

Patrick Holden


If students and staff at Goldsmiths University really want to help the environment, they should end their ban on selling beef on campus. Far from being the bogeymen portrayed by environmental campaigners, sustainably farmed beef and dairy cattle are integral to maintaining our green and pleasant land, keeping our waterways free of chemicals and feeding our population in the most efficient manner possible.

Two thirds of UK farmland is under grass and in most cases cannot be used for other crops. The only responsible way to convert this into food is to feed it to cattle, which are capable of deriving 100 per cent of their nutrition from grass and therefore are more efficient on such land than chickens or pigs.

Even on grassland where crops could be grown, ploughing it up to create
arable farms would release huge amounts of carbon into the atmosphere and require the use of pesticides, herbicides and fertiliser, all of which can devastate biodiversity.

Cattle farming does not just help to maintain grassland – it also works to improve the sustainability of existing cropland. During the “Green Revolution” after the Second World War, many farmers abandoned mixed farming and instead made the most of industrial chemicals, which enabled them to grow vast monocultures. They were undoubtedly right to do so, given the huge leaps in productivity that were made at a time when food supplies were tight. The world, though, is now beginning to count the cost of this advance.

In order to reverse the problems that have arisen from chemical-dependent crop monocultures, grass and livestock are having to be reintroduced as part of mixed arable systems. Grass is the great healer and, when grown with plants like clover, is the key to regenerative farming. Its extensive roots store atmospheric carbon deep within the soil, while its continual cover reduces chemical run-off, soil erosion and pollution. More farmers would do this if they could make decent profits from having cattle on their land. The upshot is that we don’t need to cut cow numbers to help the environment, we actually need more of them.

My final point in the case for cattle concerns ruminant emissions. Methane is indeed a major contributor to global warming, but ruminants have been around for a long time without causing problems. What’s more, because methane is a short‑lived gas, we only need to achieve modest reductions in emissions.

However, none of this is to say that all beef is equal. While free-range cattle are great for the environment, the same is not true of factory-farmed animals. These cows, which live enclosed in sheds, are typically fed on soya or cereals grown on intensively farmed land. This is deeply inefficient and contributes to deforestation. The key is to educate people about where their food comes from and to encourage responsible consumption of beef and dairy produced to the highest standards.

Mindlessly jumping on the “all beef is bad” bandwagon, as campaigners at Goldsmiths have done, is hugely counterproductive. Many of the pasture-fed cattle farmers I talk to are already struggling as a direct consequence of eco-vegetarianism – their businesses threatened by the very people who should be supporting them most.


Patrick Holden is CEO of the Sustainable Food Trust



https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-beef-not-less/
Reply With Quote
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 05:12
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 11,979
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/123/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 139%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
What do y'all think? How would you draw the line between zealotry and enthusiasm? If this topic too political for discussion here, I'll post a similar message on the War-zone thread.


I agree that enthusiasm is offered, while zealotry demands. I think you have hit the nail on the head about the distinction.

And this is such a predatory move against Jimmy, who has done stellar work for years to advance good science. (Does the man have backups?) Because even those of us who work/live online do not realize just how fragile our connection can be.

Long ago, I paid for a domain and hosting instead of keeping my work on a platform owned by others. It adds up to a lot of expense, but it's the only way to keep a grip on one's own work product.

And when a man sharing his own weight-loss story (it's a looooong story, isn't it?) can be yanked by a bunch of vegans, we're all in danger!
Reply With Quote
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 08:00
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 12,374
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/214/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

First amendment rights are at stake here. The vitriol spewed to hurt people is an abuse of that right and resources like youtube and Facebook are under not just scrutiny but also held accountable for content; youtube is also a voice of the many individuals in a world of spin controlled by the commissions, lobbiests and similar groups.

The entire beef/global warming misses the bigger point: and its not too many head of cattle......

Found Jimmy Moore via another blogger. Did he work with Westmann to write a book??? If he is that man, my first memory of him was wstching The Paleo Way season two just a few months ago. I thought he was a delight to listen to as he and Pete Evans chatted. A real person still battling the last pounds....as so many of us are.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Aug-14-19 at 08:20.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09.


Copyright © 2000-2019 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.