Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 266/235/190
BF:
Progress: 41%
Angry Gaining weight while in ketosis

I have lost 35lbs in the last 2 months by using the induction & fat fast alternatively with the suplements provided in the starter kits. I have remained in ketosis the whole time & lost weight consistantly until a week ago. then a stall & even gaining about a pound a day, yet my strips are still purple. What gives? Some reccommended that perhaps I am not drinking enough water. Why? How much should I drink & what does that have to do with anything? Aside from the obvious hydration, what function does water provide? I drink about 1-1.5 litres a day. Has anyone used L-carnitine? How good is it for burning fat? Any other advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Karen replied to you in your other post, however this is a little bit more information that should help; directly from the LowCarb FAQ:

Quote:
Water is essential to weight loss for those who eat low-carb. The minimum consumed in a day should be 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds overweight. High levels of ketones in the blood stream can lead to a reduction in ketone production, therefore being well hydrated could aid in keeping the levels low and ketone production ongoing.

Consuming enough water can have many other positive side effects: aid your kidneys with the processing of protein, reduce the retention of water, help with preventing constipation, and reduce the levels of ketones release by your breath, which in-turn will reduce breath odor.

Having purple strips doesnt mean you're burning more fat, it just means there is less liquid to dilute it. It also means your breath probably stinks If you did a fat fast and forced all the water out of your fat cells you're probably quite dehydrated, you need to replentish that. The key to having a whoosh is drinking water.

I havent read atkins, but I have read both Protein Power books and the Eades cannot say enough about the importance of water, I doubt Dr. Atkins is much different.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 266/235/190
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default what is a whoosh?

What is a whoosh?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

a Whoosh is weight loss overnight. One day you wake up and you're 3 or 4 lbs lighter. The key is the water. As you lose body fat your fat cells shrink. Fat cells don't really like shrinking, so they compensate with water. By drinking more water you force them to flush out the excess and you have a whooosh.

Take a look at the tips under "Low Carb Tips" ( at the top of the page) for information on a few topics that will help with questions I'm sure you have.

Nat