Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150/125
BF:
Progress:
Default Help - I cheated! What happens now?

I baked a cake for my son & husband. I went 1 day of it in the kitchen and today - I just couldn't resist. I had a piece. This was my last day of Induction on Adkins... What does this major intake of sugar do to my katosis activity? Has anyone else cheated??? What happened??? I know the book says it is the kiss of death on this diet... I just couldn't help but take a bite and then the whole piece... Please help me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 15:38

Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default Get back at it

Hey there. Don't freak out. You had a minor setback. Just chalk it up to being human! Start a new day tomorrow back on the plan and remember the sugar might make you feel a little lousy until it's out of your system. Maybe a few more days on the induction plan - personally, I need to be on induction most of the time for results and am quite used to it.

Take care and just get back on track. You'll be okay.

Cheers,
Lara
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 17:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Has anyone else cheated???

No, never! No one here ever cheats!

Quote:
What happened???

My face turned green!

Seriously, really bad cravings. Stay on induction for a few more days and you'll be fine.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 12:10

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default I cheat regularly

Well, I don't really do it right, but I usually have a "anything I want" meal every week. Sometimes I eat something with sugar, sometimes it is just some pizza or burger and fries.

This really just stalls induction for about 3 days. So during a week, I lose pounds (about 2-3 per week) on four days a week, and get back into ketosis 3 days a week.

Works ok for me. Remember that it is restarting induction each time, so after a meal like that it will be whatever it took you to begin with to start losing wegith.

I really don't see a need to ever change my diet, 10-20 carbs is more than enough to make me happy. Besides I live in Southern US where meat is a way of life. I will have to see where my weight loss stops on this "cheat" meal Atkins diet.

Don't beat yourself up, you might wanna try my method!!!

Good Luck,
wsgts
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 20:01

Stats: 160/150/125
BF:
Progress:

It's kind of funny - but once I freaked... and then calmed down... I thought, "What the heck, I have to start over tomorrow... Why not get it out of my system!" I ate another small piece of cake, 3 oreo cookies, and a handful of chips with homemade salsa. Talk about binging!!! But I feel so much better getting that craving "out of the way".

I had a really bad headache yesterday - but I didn't use it as an excuse. (New it was coming off of the sugar high!) I actually made myself a little tougher of a schedule - more cardio (30 minutes on Elliptical and 30 on treadmill) at the gym each day and back on the induction diet for 10 more days. I'm close to being back on the high end of the stick - medium purple...

So I guess I learned a valuable lesson - If I'm gonna cheat, it's gonna take me twice as long (and twice as hard) to lose my goal weight. But it was worth every bite!!!!

A huge thanks to all of your advice & encouragment!
Teresa