Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/195/140
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I'm "stuck"

I have been on a plateau for almost 7 weeks, and I have tried everything that I can think of. I'm still in ketosis and am very careful to eat what I should, but it doesn't matter if I eat more or less than the carbs I'm allowed, my weight doesn't change. I seem to feel best when eating 30 carbs a day and I have to actually count them to make sure I do eat them. I never feel hungry on this diet. I shouldn't complain, but I'm in the "middle of a size" and would like to just loose 5 or 10 more lbs. so that I can buy some jeans that fit properly. BTW Wal Mart is now carrying the Atkins lowcarb bars!!! I tried one and they are yummy! Thanks for allowing me to vent my slight frustration on being "stuck".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 17:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Dee,

Welcome to our forum. Is this your first plateau? They do occur in a cyclical fashion. At 7 weeks, the end might be near. Are you eating a minimum of 3 meals a day? Check the Tips section for some hepful hints and ideas. Also check in the Group journal forum, for some variation ideas with fat-fast and protein days that help shock your system from a stall.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 20:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dee,

Watch out for the Atkins or any other low carb bars. They are notorious for causing stalls. Are you sure that you're not taking in any hidden carbs anywhere else?

As Wa'il pointed out, stalls come in cycles. While they're a huge pain, they are necassary for regrouping as well as giving your body a break.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 23:10

BF:

I have been watching the low carb bars I eat. Usually only 2 to 3 a week, if that. They are special treats I keep in reserve for that need for something, but you don't know what. Thanks for the encouragement. I figure that something has to happen soon, and I'll just wait it out.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 23:30
Forum Founder

BF:

Watch out! Some of the bars can be as high as 15 "hidden" carbs. If you eat 2-3 a week, you're over your carb limit for each of those days.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 23:50

BF:

Ouch, that many carbs? Even the Atkins bars? Where are the carbs hidden? And, how do I tell which ones have them?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 00:02
Forum Founder

BF:

In the sugar alcohols - malitol, sorbitol etc. All LC bars have hidden carbs along with a nasty - to my way of thinking anyway -list of ingredients.

To find out the hidden carbs, go to Low Carb Tools at the top of the page. Plug in the numbers on the package and the amount of hidden carbs will be revealed to you.

In the Tips section at the top of the page, read Doreen's article on Sugar Alcohols. There's lots of great, general LC information in the Tips section.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 03:23

BF:

I did have the wrapper from one bar still kicking around, so I ran it through the low carb tool and it kept reading error, something about a negative amount of carbs. When I read the label a little closer it appears that there are a few items that they are not figuring in the total carb amount: Glycerine and oligiofructose. Sounds like sugars to me. Hum. Maybe I should forgo the bars except for a really special day and then not eat a whole one. Thanks for the information on this.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 09:48

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

There are some quick and simple treats you can try instead of the bars (which I think taste gakky anyway). I take 2-3 tbsp. of cream cheese, or a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, and/or cream, and mash in 1 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder, a drop of vanilla and/or maple extract, and some sweetener. Voila - chocolate! You have to lick it off a spoon (or your finger), but that makes it even nicer, I think. And NO hidden carbs.

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 10:11

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

If you haven't been down to a good weight for you in several years, you could simply be experiencing the change of that healthy set point due to (sorry! ) middle age. In Protein Power, the Eades have you estimate a good body fat percentage based on age. By age 50, I believe that 28% body fat for a woman is quite acceptable to them...so perhaps you ARE at goal and just not realizing it yet. Just stay on LC and trust your body will find its happiest, healthiest weight.

How aren't the jeans fitting 'properly?' Do you have a size you'd like to get into? A bit of a pooch to the belly? (judicious selection of jeans with the right sorts of pleating can hide 5 pounds of that!)

It sounds like you've done a marvelous job, and I think you deserve a longggggg round of applause for it! WTG!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 11:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Stalls

There are some good ideas on breaking a stall under "Low carb tips" If you havent checked it out, take a look. I think the bars might have been your problem, they affect everyone differently. Try cutting them out and see where that leads you. If you're still stalled, a "stall buster" might be in order. I'm assuming you've been measuring yourself all the while and havent seen any decrease in inches during this 7 weeks?

Hang in there!
Nat
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 18:59

BF:

Thanks all for the encouragement and suggestions. I'll try the cream cheese goodie, sounds yummy! Yes, the bars have to go. I'll find other goodies to eat ( I have the Atkins cookbook) and stay away from anything that is "made". I really hate to cook, but I don't see too much that I can trust to be what it is in the grocery store section with prepared food. Actually, I can cook, I'm just spoiled and lazy. It's so easy to just run to the store and pick up a frozen meal. Guess I'll even have to get creative and organized. And yes, I have been at or near this weight for most of my adult life. It has been my knees that started to demand I do something about it.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power/Atkins
Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

How do you all feel about the Atkins shakes?