Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 14:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Intolerances and Allergies

I have intolerances to milk, eggs, and cheese. Not a good thing.
Its hard to find snacks and quick dishes plus in makes meals get boring... anyone eles has this problem? What are your solutions?
I have found I can eat egg whites so I can buy eggbeaters in the frig sections so that was a relief... Also I bought some already cooked bacon so I can have a variety for breakfast. (I don't have a microwave)
I did find out that by not eating foods that I have intolerances to, I am able to lose weight, I also don't get sick so often
Incase you are wonder the difference between intolerances and allergies I can tell you what my doctor says:
"Allergies give you cold like symptoms and make your immune system go on"
"Tolerances give you stomach aches and digestive pains"
He also told me that some goods make you get hives and you may not even be allergic to them Ex. Strawberries, shrimp, cheese...etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:39

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Just a few things I thought of when I read your post.

Pork rinds
Nuts: an ounce, depending on the nut, has around 4 grams though.
Olives
Sardines
tuna & mayo by itself or with celery or with pork rinds
Keep some cooked lamb, chicken, pork chops or bits of steak in the freezer for a quick warm up in the skillet.

I bought the New Atkins cookbook. It has recipies that don't have dairy or eggs, although many of them do. Have you tried it, yet? You might get some good ideas there. Also, have you checked the posts here? Lots (and I do mean lots) of recipies are listed and then there are the mouth watering recipies in the top bar under Low Carb Recipies.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Ka3n : Wed, Oct-03-01 at 21:45.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 21:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi, Lessara!

I've recently found coconut milk makes an acceptable milk/cream replacer. I've even used it in my coffee! It has about 5 carbs per cup, around the same as cream. As for cheese, I suppose you could try one of the many non-dairy substitutes made with soy. I have no idea if they're any good, but SOME people must like them, so I suppose they're worth a try!

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 23:21

BF:

Rachel has a great idea, I forgot about the soy cheeses. They make LC soy cheese in all sorts of flavors. It doesn't really melt though, so beware in recipies. The taste isn't quite the same as cheese, but it's really good. So are the crunchy toasted soy nuts!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-01, 10:49

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Intolerances

Hi Lessara

For about 25 years I had an intolerance to milk, and cheese ... progressively got worse.

I could however take a little bit of cheese every three months or so but no milk: almost instantaneous diarhea.

It is five months since I started Atkins. I haven't tested the milk yet (well I did take a sip or two of tea with milk once) but I am eating cheese quite regularly without any effects. And I love the cream ... doesn't seem to be affecting me at all.

I can only assume that my immune system got an immediate boost as soon as it got a whole lot more PROTEIN and stopped reacting with panic, help, all systems go to get this Alien out of the body!!!

Are you similarly afected by Goat's milk? Soya milk, coconut milk are good substitutes albeit I tended to just cut out any form of milk altogether.

Take care?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
It is five months since I started Atkins. I haven't tested the milk yet (well I did take a sip or two of tea with milk once) but I am eating cheese quite regularly without any effects. And I love the cream ... doesn't seem to be affecting me at all.

Fiona,
How wonderful for you! This is such a healthy WOL as evidenced by your lack of reaction to dairy now (and just plain feeling better!).

Katherine
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:00

BF:
Thumbs up

Oh-oh-oh I just got another eggy!! Next I'll be up to chicken leggys.
Katherine
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 17:40

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Last year this time.. November.. I got really sick --- an immunce system suppression.. Hives and rash every time I ate anything.. my feet and hands would itch like crazy... fatigue etc.. I went to a Allergist who said I was allergic to most everything in my house and yard, except my CAT - Sylvester--- Thank Goodness..

After 3 months of not feel that much better... I went to a Naturopath... who put me on a vitamin regime... and we also did something called Bio-set.. which resets your body's energy/electrical system... and eleminates the body's reaction to stimuli... ie plants, foods, smells etc. . WORKED. Feeling 1000 times better... I now go in quartlerly and get checked....

LC has worked for the last few symptoms.. feeling bloated.. gasy.. burpy...etc.. Now have constant energy... sleep well.. dream like crazy... feel great about myself...

If anyone would like info... let me know..

Ramona