Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 23:37

Plan: SCD
Stats: 165/165/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida/IBS/Bacterial Overgrowth-Need Advice!

Hi all!

I'm new to this group and need some help.

I've had bloating, nausea, weight loss, confusion, dizzy spells, extreme fatigue, heart arrythmias, episodes of tacchycardia & chest pain (quick substernal spasms), slow heart rate, poor circulation in extremities, hypoglycemic spells and panic attacks, sore parotid glands, sore nodules in neck, flushing, paleness, poor exercise tolerance, squeezing spasms in head, chills, tinnitus, depression (understandably!), anxiety, numbness and tingling in hands and legs for the past 2 + years. I've been in and out of the hospital many times and seen dozens of doctors. I've endured an angiogram (negative), 2 endoscopys (neg.), colonoscopy (neg), multiple scopes, MRI's, CT scans, Bone Marrow aspiration, hundreds of blood tests and other stomach tests, most negative. An MRI of the brain showed mild demyelination and some white matter, but nothing specific.

The only abnormalities so far are:

Mildly low white cells and platelets. Sometimes low Hemoglobin and hemocrit, and red. Platelets indicate ITP.

Positive ANA (1:80/Speckled) indicating an auto-immune disorder.

Hydrogen breath test showed bacterial overgrowth of small intestine. (Treated with 10 day course of Neomycin). Still have some bloating, gas, and episodes of Nausea.

Docs will do a Capsule Endoscopy next week to make sure no Crohns was overlooked (I swallow a pill w/camera inside that takes pictures all the way through the intestinal track).

Docs suspect the overgrowth is still there and also suspect an auto-immune or connective tissue disorder. They want to treat me with Plaquenil. I don't like drugs!

My main complaints now are: Periods of fatigue and general ill feeling. Weightloss/Inablility to gain weight. Poor exercise tolerance (used to run 3 miles a day. Now can't walk a mile without getting fatigued afterward. No shortness of breath, just feel pooped!). Episodes of nausea, bloating, gas and lower abdominal pain (food feels like glass going through my intestines).

Cancer & Heart Disease have been ruled out.

I am 37 yr old male. 6'. 165pnds. Eat organic diet, but have not tried SCD diet (Elaine Gottschalls book) yet. I am buying the book tommorrow.

I've tried Primal Defense, but the docs think I should avoid Probiotics because of the overgrowth.

I'm beginning to think this is a severe case of Candida as my glands get sore when I drink alcohol (especially beer, wine) and I feel drunk after 1 drink! My candida test from great smokies was low positive about a year ago and I guess i should test again.

I thought this was simply bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, but now that it's systemic (auto-immune) I think it's candida. Unfortunately my Docs don't believe the Candida story so I have to seek out another naturopathic Dr.

Does anyone know anyone in the LA area who specializes in Candida & Gut problems?

I'm really hurting and would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks,

Chris (A native NY'er living in LA)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:51

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Chris, first off, sorry you are feeling so bad! You sound like you are on the right track, tho!

I used to suffer from most of the symptoms you do. I have been treating myself for candida overgrowth for about 10 months now. Trust me, it is a long battle, but you will win! I am finally starting to feel better after quite a long time. I swear by Candistroy. It is the product that works best for me. I also used GSE, and I take Coconut oil regularly, three tablespoons a day. The coconut oil is very soothing to the digestive tract. L-glutamine is another supplement I take alot of.

I am having a hard time understanding why your doctor would not want you to take a probiotic!! That makes no sense, you probably really need one! Primal Defense is a good product, I use it as well. I also find it hard to believe that a ten day course of anti-fungals would cure your candida. I have learned from experience that medical tests do not always prove or disprove anything. Trust yourself, and listen to your body.

I feel your pain, believe me, and I think you are on the right track, regarding the candida overgrowth. Like I said, I had about 95% of your symptoms, also the problem with alcohol, I couldn't tolerate alcohol at all. I am about 75% better now, and am exercising again! Good luck to you!

-Denise
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 13:04

BF:
Progress:

Denise,
I just tried buying a whole coconut yesterday and drank the juice. Hopefully eating coconut is OK. Don't know about the sugar content. I'm on the SCD diet (minus the Fruit and cheese). was wondering where you get your Coconut oil. I bought some from Spectrum (Organic Coconut Oil) but it doesn't say extra virgin like the Garden Of Life brand (which is more expensive).
Thanks,
Chris
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:58

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Chris, Spectrum is actually the brand I use. I think it is a good quality brand. The other one you mentioned is very expensive. I can't afford it, so I usually buy the best I CAN afford, and the Spectrum was it. I am having success with it, so that is a good thing. Try and take one tablespoon three times a day.

I am not sure about eating whole coconut, either. But I, personally, would just stick with the coconut oil. I have tried cooking with it, too, and it works great, it can tolerate heat well.

Do you take L-Glutamine? L-Glutamine helps to heal the intestinal lining. It sounds like you would benefit from it, as well.

Good luck, and feel better!!

-Denise
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 15:46

Plan: modified Atkins for now
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Regarding the coconut oil.........do you just eat it plain? Straight from the container? That doesn't sound appealing, but then I haven't tried it. I did pick up some, but it's not the "virgin"--my health food store didn't have that. Mine (Omega, I think it is) does not have an aroma. I have used it a little to oil the skillet, but that's about it.

Can you get the same benefits from the meat of the coconut?

Thanks,
Tabby
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 10:37

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Xtian,
OMG, i have it all. i am really worried about the tinglies in my hands and feet and that is why i did a search wondring if anyone had this. you are just like me. was down to 97 lbs this march and could not gain. only ate organic. dizzy , fatigue, nausea, could not exercise and always loved it, ANA positive.....etc all of it. dr's at a loss. is this die off? i have gained pure fat by eating sugar and nuts to make the stupid drs happy. feel 100 x's worse now. plus am depressed cause fat. please let me know about the endoscopy........just curious. did you go thru a vry stressful time when all this happened? i did and i think it wiped out my immune system. well, have a good day and keep me posted.

take care, Kay
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:49

BF:
Progress:

Kay,

Yes I was going through a very stressful time (still am) and the unknown illness just adds to it. Everyone thinks I'm crazy! Though now the Docs believe me but are still confused. I found a book called "Breaking the Vicious cycle: Intestinal health through diet" by Elaine Gottschall. It's basically no carbs, or sugar. Protein, some cheese, lots of veggies and some fruits. Thousands of people have gotten well with this diet (people with crohns, UC, Auto-immune disease). The theory is that the sugar and grains we eat feed the bad bacteria and lead to overgrowth causing an auto-immune reaction. I would strongly advise you stop the grains and sugar and look for the book on amazon (read the reviews). I've been on it for two weeks and after a rough first week, alot of my symptoms have abated. You must follow the diet strictly to heal the intestine. Almond flour is allowed to make breads and muffins, pizza etc..Also honey replaces sugar in recipes. So it's not that difficult. I plan to stay on it until I fully recover.
Check it out!

Chris
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:07

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Chris, I will get the book. I am surprised about the fruit though. How much are you eating? Do you think the "rough first week" was due to die off/ withdrawal etc? Well, i feel hopeful knowing that you are feeling better. Wishing you continued health! Kay
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 07:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi Kay,

Your PM Low-Carber mail box is full with the maximum 10 messages. You must delete sent and received messages in order to receive any more.

My wife was healed of Crohn's Disease on the Low-Carb diet plus other restrictions that I developed for her. She had a colonoscopy on June 20, 2003. The doctor could find no sign of her previous inflammation from Crohn's colitis disease. He said her colon looked perfectly normal. He would have never known by the examination that she had ever had any intestinal disease. She is completely pain free with normal digestion and bowel movements for the first time in her life.

We have not told the doctor about the low-carbohydrate diet program she is on. He recommended she continue as she has been doing, but he didn't ask what she has been doing. He ended by saying, "continue with the high-fiber diet." He doesn't know this program is a very low-fiber diet. These doctors of gastroenterology are totally CRAZY. His professional website lists a suggested diet plan that would give a healthy person an intestinal disease.

My wife found she began healing immediately on this diet and began to gain the weight she needed even though this diet is extremely low-carbohydrate. Overweight people will lose weight, and underweight people will gain weight. This diet cured my sister of fibromyalgia. This is also a great diet for healthy individuals. This is my diet, and I have no diseases. It is a great diet for a healthy heart and the prevention of diabetes. It believe it is the ultimate health diet plan for everyone.

Another person has UC and his doctor was suggesting surgery. He has been on my diet plan for a few weeks and is extremely excited about his healing. He has begun to cut back on his meds and doing very well. Bleeding and diarrhea have completely stopped.

Be sure you read the list of "Foods We Should Absolutely Avoid."

Follow my "Starting Diet" as shown on the following page. Follow the restrictions for Candida also. Simply click the link below.

Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, Candida & Others.

Please let us know how it works for you.

Kent
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 11:13

Plan: Candida Elimination Diet
Stats: 130/110/115 Female 66 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 133%
Default You have Candida Albicans Fungus

Dear xtian1,
I seem to have joined this board pretty late. But if you and the other posters here are still having the problems you all talk about you're going about it the wrong way. What you have is Candida Albicans fungus and the worst thing you can do is eat sugar, starch or drink beer. (sorry!) You need to go on a strict diet of only green vegetables and protein. No flour or grains, no fruit, no yeast, no fermented products -- abslutely no sugar in any form -- even carrots (!) You'll need to daily ingest a lot (a teaspoon or so) of good quality probiotics (Natren or vsl1) and also something like FloraStor which is a good" yeast that eats Candida Albicans. Those other supplements people here have recommended like Candistroy, Grapeseed Extract, garlic and Oil of Oregano are good to supplement the real work. Just be sure to rotate them. The fungus you have adapts VERY quickly and you need to "keep it off balance". So if you decide to take any of these antifungal supplements, take them for 5 days then stop and start taking another one -- rotate their use so the fungus doesn't get used to them.

Anyway, I promise that if you follow this strict diet and take lots probiotics daily for at least two weeks you'll be on the only road to your former fun carefree dietary lifestyle. I must warn you, however, that you will first feel absolutely worse than terrible those two weeks -- you'll feel a lot worse before you'll feel better -- but it's the ONLY way out of this problem. The intense bloating, gas, flu-like symptoms, overwhelming depression and exhaustion will be AWFUL for two weeks. And you will crave starchy sugary food so bad that I'm sure you'll have many second thoughts. The symptoms you're experiencing are simply the "die-off" of the yeast. You'll feel much better after you get through this part.

But the next important step is that you MUST stay on this same horribly restricted diet for at least 3 more months. I'm serious. Then, after 3 months you can include small amounts of whole grains and maybe a piece of fruit like an apple each day. (Yippee!) After those three months you can include a little more of the banned foods but still NO BOOZE or SUGAR or FLOUR containing products.

The whole process takes about a year. To sum up, you can basically give up the idea that some pill or surgery will ever get your life back to what you once had. This crummy fungus requires sheer hard work and dedication. Good luck!

Last edited by robinreese : Sun, May-16-04 at 11:31. Reason: typos
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:58

BF:
Progress:
Default Robin...

Thanks for the info. I was recently diagnosed with CFIDS and have secondary infections along with the yeast like Mycoplasma Pneumonaie, CMV, HHV-6, and mildy high yeast IGG, IGA, and IGM antibodies. I am currently following the Body Ecology diet and eating a few grains that she says are OK like Quinoa, Buckwheat and Amaranth. I mostly cook vegie and protein soups since these are easily digested. I have given up fruit and dairy except for a small amount of Helios Kefir. I am also taking Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus pearls 3-4x a week. I am currently seeing a very good Dr. of Chinese Medicine in Bennington, Vermont who is an amazing healer. He is rebuilding my "Root" with herbs that I boil every night and then drink. He will then do a cleanse when he thinks I am ready. Alot of my symptoms have gotten better with the herbs, but some nights are rough after I drink them. He says it will take time, but I will get better. I recently bought Paul Pitchford's "Healing with Whole Foods" which takes the eastern approach on diet and healing and brought me up to speed on deficient "Qi" conditions and Dampness.

I will soon incorporate a probiotic into my regimen and was wondering what you thought of Bio K+ or Primal Defense. I want to make sure the leaky gut is healed first or havoc will ensue. For know it's just a small of amount of Helios Kefir every day and some raw sauerkraut biodymaic cabbage or raw biodynamic daikon with my foods. I also am taking a frozen liquid vitamin called E-3 Live? Every heard of it? It's a Blue-green agae Aphanizomenon flos-aquae. I try not to take too many synthetic vitamins and find that I absorb this better.

Anyway, I hope you are well and would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Chris
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:56

Default Xtian1

Hi Chris, I hope I'm posting in the right way. I'm very new to this. About what you said, I think we have a lot in common. I was diagnosed with CFIDS in 1988 -- I was among the group of people who first came down with it in the Lake Tahoe, CA area -- back then they called it Epstein Barr and Yuppie Flu because we were all pretty healthy athletic people in our 30's. I could barely get out of bed for a year among many other dismal symptoms you're aware of. I had a cool TV production job (live shows on location) that I had to take a one year leave of absence from and finally just quit. I finally got over the CFID's after a few years but it changed my life in a lot of ways.
Cut to now. Fifteen years later. I'd just finished an amazing huge job in September 03 and and it left me totally burned out -- nothing new. (I guess I 've not been able to "lose" that part of my goal oriented personality -- work hard and play hard.) Anyway, the day after the job was completed I started throwing up blood and having intense pain like food poisoning. Emergency room put me on tubes because my stomach canal was blocked and no air, water or food could get down. I had morphine every 2 hours for five days while they tried to figure out how to fix me. Lots of tests and a surgery too. The hospital in San Francisco gave me a couple courses of antibiotics and then when I left the hospital my doctors gave me two more courses of big broad spectrum antibiotics to kill the Helicobacter Pylori bacteria that they found in an endoscopy right after I was released. Turns out I'd had a gastric ulcer with complications. Needless to say, my digestive sysyem was completely thrashed. I didn't know a thing about all those live microorganisms we need to do what a body need to do to make energy from food. I didn't know about"balance". I just followed my doctors' very stupid advice. Now I've learned they were not only very wrong in their treatment of my situation but they made me terribly sick as well. So far, I've fixed all the subsequent problems on my own (through extensive research.) My latest "win" was overcoming bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine. I'm afraid I had to take an antibiotic again. It was only 6 months after taking that huge dose of the things but I was desperate and getting sicker by the day. I couldn't eat a thing and was losing weight quickly. It was very scary! I also figured I was armed and ready this time to hit the bad guys hard with killer drugs and no provisions (a three week fast) and then repopulate like carzy with good guys -- give them a leg up so to speak.) So I took Cipro twelve days and simultaneously ate nothing but a powdered elemental drink called called Vivonex. The reason for the fast with Vivonex was to simultaneously starve the bad bacteria while giving my poor guts a chance to heal. I didn't want to lose any more weight so I used Vivonex. Its calories are in the form of amino acids -- it's predigested so your digestive system gets a total break. (Unfortunately the FlavorPaks you have to add to make it palatable contain Aspartame (!) Regardless, that program repaired my leaky gut problem. I was releived to find that within a day of taking the Cipro, the painful welts I'd suddenly developed all over my body had lost their pain and itch. (Within a week you couldn't even tell I'd had any infected skin!) Anyway, things seemed to be going great after two weeks of the Vivonex fast -- and no bloating, gas, or bowel problems -- then out of nowhere, boom! I woke up one morning suddenly paralyzed with exhaustion. And depression! This new tack was so out of left field I didn't know what hit me! I got back to my research and learned that I'd neglected to factor in a third element: Candida had filled the void left by the bad bacteria. The Cipro killed the bad (and good) bacteria but doesn't touch Candida as you know. So even though I was ingesting teaspoon-fulls of assorted Natren probiotics, the good bacteria just couldn't grow back fast enough to keep the third element, the Candida yeast, from morphing into its amazing fungal form and invading my bloodstream. Wow. What a way to learn. So here I am now, getting back on track (again!)I'm on the strict Candida diet and taking a lot of probiotics. At least for once I have a doctor I trust helping me. And he agreed with all the ways I used to treat the problems I just mentioned and he approved of the vitamins I'm taking like C, E and magnesium and some of the supplements. (He wasn't thrilled about the Vivinex but I need to ask what he's recommend to do the same thing -- I know the M.D.'s at Cedars-Sinai use it for their Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth patients. He's running a bunch of tests so I'll know more next week. So at this minute, I'm ten days into the "die-off" and I'm starting to feel a little better than I did last week which was awful! Serious bloating and gas and fatigue but since those are the symptoms of die-off, I'm happy -- Atleast I feel like I'm on the right track. My head feels better. I plan to stay on the diet for months and months. After what I've been through though, I don't mind giving up anything anymore -- I just want my life back.
By the way, the thing that helped me most through all my problems was colon hydrotherapy -- especially during the fasting parts. It kept things moving out of there -- I could see the poisons coming out and I always felt better after -- the colonics kept the bad stuff from being reabsorbed into my system. A book that helped me was "Digestive Wellness" by Lipski (make sure its her latest edition) and the other one was "I Was Poisoned By My Body". Both, especially the latter, recommend supplements that I used with success. I'm still using the BioGenesis product called Bioinflammatory Plus. I thought it was great for Leaky Gut as it has tons of Glutamine. The probiotics I used throughout were by Natren although my new doctor, Jeffrey Aron M.D. in San Francisco, told me about vsl3 by questcor for establishing good bacteria. He also recommended FloraStor which is a friendly yeast that "eats" Candida. Well, my reply's gotten so long I hardly remember what you mentioned...
okay, now I see -- the Chinese medicine doctor sounds good and I'm afraid I haven't heard of the E-live which doesn't mean anything. I'll check out all the stuff you mentioned when I get a minute. I'm in the same boat as you and still want to learn as much as I can. I must say that that I'm afraid of taking the Primal Defense product because I don't trust Jordan Rubin who runs Garden of Life company that makes it. He's strikes me as a bit quackish. More importantly, I bought a book (The IBD Remission Diet) that included a later inserted page by the author who retracted her recommendation of Primal Defense. It apparantly works great but maybe causes bad and irreversable damage in the long run. Maybe I'll cut and paste it into a second post so you can read for yourself?
Personally, I've found that diet is the most important part of any of these recoveries. I'm glad now I did the 3 week fast because I feel my Leaky Gut problem is history. Although I still have the symptoms of Candida I've at least eliminated the problem of repeatedly "poisoning" myself with perfectly good food. (My messed up cell walls were letting through particles of food that were too big and so my body assumed these were invaders and activated my immune system and all hell would break lose.) I also bought a Green Power juicer and make juice from things like kale, chard or other dark leafy greens and celery and then I blend it all together in a Vita Mixer with a half an avocado. I sip this throughout the day. At meals I eat mainly vegetables but started including more meat especially rare cooked organ meats like chicken or calves liver (no hormones or other bad stuff..) After all my experimenting with raw foods and macrobiotics and so on and on, it turns out the thing that works the best for me (Anglo - fast oxidizer - type O blood) is tons of vegs and meat proteins -- saturated fats and all. 80% of what I eat now is vegetables (raw or lightly steamed) and the other 20% is meat and fish.
By the way, it just occured to me -- back to the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: my new good M.D. is guessing that all this digestive stuff I've been going through lately is totally related to the CFID's of 15 years ago. And since you asked me about algae and stuff like that, I used to take it but this new doc suggests not doing that kind of thing right now. That might apply to you too.) He says one of the things we're trying to help is what he thinks is my over-active immune system. He says I should be doing calming and building things. He says that blue green algae and other intense good energy makers are inappropriate right now. He said it's simply pouring gasoline on the fire which makes sense to me. Well, I could go on and on as I've never taken the time to write any of this down until this afternoon......... Take care! ~Robin Ps. Do you know if you're allergic to milk and wheat? I am.

Last edited by robinreese : Mon, May-17-04 at 16:05.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 21:27

Default SIBO Vivonex Protocol

Hey Chris, By the way, Dr. Pimental (and Dr. Henry Lin) were the doctors whose advice I was using to get rid of the SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) so yes, I tried what you were at least considering trying. It worked great for me on my bacterial overgrowth problem. And my Leaky Gut stuff is gone too -- as I mentioned in the long (sorry!) reply above. The Vivonex made me feel like a hummingbird and the three weeks were BORING but I managed to keep about my same weight. There are probably other things better but at least the Vivonex has tons of Glutamine in it. That's what your colon walls need to repair themselves. (That's also why I swear by BioInflammatory Plus by the BioGenesis Company. I still take it.) So while I've wondered if a simple fast might have been better (if I could afford to lose the calories,) I read that your colon walls want to feel at least something going through pretty often because it somehow works to help repair the colon microvilli that have been "mown off" by all the inflammation caused by IBS. AIDS patients use Vivonex to help get throught the "wasting" period and that's where I got my best information about Vivonex -- AIDS sites.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 17:08

Plan: none
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Hi Robin,

I found your story interesting. I have mild IBS (mild constipation, visceral sensitivity) and possibly bacterial overgrowth. I took the lactulose breath test that Pimentel and Lin use at Cedar Sinai to diagnose small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), but it showed that my levels were borderline. At 1.5 hrs my levels were close to 20ppm. The test didn't run 3 hrs which I believe Pimentel does for his patients, so I felt my test results were pre-mature.

My IBS actually started from a 6 day water fast, so that's how I screwed up my bowels. I got severely lactose intolerant and almost any carbs got me farting 100+ times per day. Probiotics reduced the gas levels, but it was only until I took antibiotics that my gas levels went down to normal (0-12x per day). I took neomycin sulfate which Pimentel used in his first SIBO intent to treat study. It worked great because it completely wiped out my lactose intolerance. Before I would get gas from eating small amounts of lactose and lots of gas from large amount of lactose (no D tho), so I suspected the neomycin killed off the bacteria that caused the gas. Unfortunately after a month it came back, so I took other antibiotics and became tolerant to lactose again.

Over the last few months I've been on a probiotic Digestive Advantage IBS - it's a chewable sugary pill that works well. It has warded off the LI, but now it's coming back.

That leads me to go for the Vivonex Plus diet. I am going to do it with L-Emental which is a alternative to Vivonex and is made by Hormel. Vivonex is friggin' expensive! I hope this will starve off the bacteria and wipe out the IBS. I am surprised that you did the Cipro + Vivonex - that's seems pretty scary to go for a double whammy on the bacteria. Who recommended you this protocol? The Vivonex seems like it would be good enough, but now that you mention about yeast overgrowth, I am wondering if I should take a probiotic to prevent any of that happening. Pimentel believes probiotics are detrimental and does not recommend them.

Do you know if Pimentel followed up on his patients to see if the Vivonex normalized their bowel function? I've been trying to find that out, but nothing shows up on the internet.

OK here's some notes I dug up, so I'll leave them here for others to check out:
A 14-day elemental diet is highly effective in normalizing the lactulose breath test.

Pimentel M, Constantino T, Kong Y, Bajwa M, Rezaei A, Park S.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...t_uids=14992438

Vivonex Plus - Walgreens
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...onex+plus&hl=en

Vivonex Plus
http://www.allegromedical.com/home/...7&C=522&M=15166

Vivonex Plus
http://www.novartisnutrition.com/us/productDetail?id=20

Protein: 18% (Free Amino Acids)
Carbohydrate: 76% (Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch)
Fat: 6% (Soybean Oil)

Comparison of formulas from Novartis site
http://www.novartisnutrition.com/pd..._Chart_2004.pdf

Tolerex
http://www.allegromedical.com/home/...7&C=522&M=15166

Tolerex
http://www.novartisnutrition.com/us/productDetail?id=84
Caloric Distribution:
Protein: 8% (Free Amino Acids)
Carbohydrate: 91% (Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch)
Fat: 1% (Safflower Oil)
Caloric Density: 1.0 cal/mL
Nonprotein Calorie: Nitrogen Ratio: 282:1
Water Content: 864 mL/1000 mL
100% RDI*: 1800 mL
Osmolality: 550 mOsm/kg water
Lactose free, gluten free, low residue

http://www.med-diet.com/l-emental.htm
L-Emental Unflavored Powder 60 - 2.84 oz 12 $276.00

L-Emental™ Complete Amino Acid Diet

L-Emental™ contains 100% free amino acids. L-Emental™ provides absorbable protein without digestion and may benefit those with reduced absorptive capacity. It has a caloric distribution of 15% protein, 82% carbohydrate, 3% fats, and provides 1.0kcal/ml. L-Emental™ is an effective alternative to parenteral nutrition when directed by a physician. It has an Osmolality of 630 mOsm/kg water when mixed according to package instructions.
L-Emental™ is lactose free, gluten free, and low residue.

L-Emental
http://www.4webmed.com/main.cfm?Pag...ng%3D1#nutrinfo
Case: 60 $266.40 ( $4.44 ea ) Single Flavor
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 08:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Has anyone here tried wild oregano oil? It kills yeast and a lot of other "bad" bacteria. Depending on the severity of conditions it can make you sicker for a few days as with die off symptoms but ultimately makes you feel loads better and with lots of energy.

Oregano Oil I
http://www.nutricounter.com/articles/browning.htm

Oregano Oil II
http://www.wildoiloforegano.com/editorial.php

Oregano Thread
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=167955