Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-20, 15:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Is there a low carb substitute for Karo (corn) syrup for recipes?

Is there a low carb substitute for Karo (corn) syrup for recipes?

My DW made a zero carb pecan pie using low-carb 'maple' syrup, allulose and erthritol and it was great. She substituted the 'maple' for the karo in the recipe. If we make it for dessert when having dinner with my sisters, we'd rather not have the maple taste (although I enjoy it).

She made the low carb crust with almond and coconut flour.

So is there a low or zero carb product we can use in place of the corn syrup?

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 06:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Searching the Kitchen Forum came up empty. The da Vinci or skinny syrup companies make a "simple syrup" but that isn’t as thick as Karo . Low-carb pecan pie recipes that use erythritol and other ingredients are a good choice.
Here's a new round-up of sweeteners. https://lowcarbyum.com/best-low-carb-keto-sweeteners/
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-28-20, 09:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Searching the Kitchen Forum came up empty. The da Vinci or skinny syrup companies make a "simple syrup" but that isn’t as thick as Karo . Low-carb pecan pie recipes that use erythritol and other ingredients are a good choice.
Here's a new round-up of sweeteners. https://lowcarbyum.com/best-low-carb-keto-sweeteners/

I haven't tried it, but I'd think you could use one of the sugar free simple syrups, and use some guar or xanthan gum to thicken it to the consistency of the karo syrup. It would take some experimentation to figure out how much thickener to use of course.

I've only used xanthan (although I understand the guar works very similarly), and only used it to thicken gravies and sauces in place of flour or cornstarch. Xanthan is expensive, but it takes such a small amount of it to thicken a couple of cups of gravy that an 8 oz package of xanthan lasts at least a year or two. Depending on how thick you like your gravy, I've seen directions for thickening 3 cups of gravy with only 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan.

When I thicken a gravy with xanthan, I add the xanthan to oil, mixing it so that it's a roux then adding it to the broth for gravy, OR I sprinkle it on the top of the deglazed meat drippings (broth with fat floating on top) from cooked meats - The granules of xanthan are far less likely to form clumps when initially mixed into some kind of fat or oil. Then I transfer the still hot liquid to a deep bowl and use my stick blender on it until it thickens, making sure to stop and scrape up any xanthan that might have sunk to the bottom of the bowl, then blend some more so it's incorporated into the gravy. This can also be done with a wire whisk on the stovetop, but it doesn't seem to thicken quite as much as it does when using the stick blender, probably because the stick blender incorporates more air into the mixture more quickly. The thickened gravy will become somewhat thicker when refrigerated, and seems to hold up well to reheating.

I haven't tried doing this with cold or room temperature liquid - I know it works well with hot liquid though, so I'm thinking you could probably do something very similar making the filling for pecan pie - You could mix either guar or xanthan in some of the melted butter that goes in the pecan pie, and use a stick blender to mix that into a heated sugar free simple syrup to make a karo textured syrup. I have no idea how much of the guar or xanthan you'd need to add to get the proper thickness though - that's where the real experimentation comes in.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-20, 15:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-20, 20:04

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks y'all.

We have xanthan gum so it might be what we need.

The second attempt used the sugar-free maple syrup and added some allulose, it turned out better. She also filled it with chopped pecans, and while not traditional, it was delightful.

Thanks also for the recipe, I'll forward it to her (she doesn't do forums or social media).

Bob