Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-00, 19:45
Registered Member

Plan: customized PP
Stats: 195/153/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Angry

Yes, I really do think I'm losing my mind here. I'm not the type of person who whines (usually) but today I've had it! I'm about to quit everything. I'm just not losing (pounds) anymore and it makes me so angry I could scream (actually I did scream like hell today, my dog and cats are nowhere to be seen).

I do everything right, keeping my carbs under 25, increased my water intake (4 liters and still drinking), I exercise every single day, no snacks (not that I did snack before), but the scale stays the same (I wonder if its stuck or something . Just don't know why this is happening but it's making me nervous. This morning I said to myself, well, baby, maybe that's all you'll ever lose! Impossible. I still have about 60# to go,

Anyways, I feel better now. Just had to vent a little maybe. Thanx to those who will read . Jen , Yes, I am one confused gal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-00, 20:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Jen,

Glad you're feeling better

Chances are you are gaining muscle while losing fat! So keep on keeping on. Do you take measurements? Like thighs, hips, biceps, etc.? These measurements tell more than the scale does.

How long have you been stalled?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-00, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:

Wa'il, thank you. I've been stalled for close to 4 weeks now. But I think you might have something here with the gaining muscle issue. No, I havn't taken my measurements since I started (May 9th) , so I'm going to do that although I'm a little scared (what if ????) Ho well, I have to get a grip here!!!I must sound like a spoiled brat!!!

Wow!! I just looked out the window,and it's snowing!! Wooohooo...!!!, (sorry, about that, I'm very emotional, can you tell?? I guess its time to get that measure. tape now. I'll keep you posted and thank you again.

Jen er. I'm already in the Xmas spirit!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-24-00, 23:50
Forum Founder

Jen, I forgot, did you get my whoosh card? Check your email

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-00, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Wink Grrrr!

Jen, you probably already know this, but there's some information out there on possible ways of 'busting' stalls and plateaus. Quite a few ideas are posted at http://www.eporkchop.com/blubber/plateau.htm (Great URL, eh?) Might be worth checking out.

Also a few folks here are trying Stillmans as a plateau-buster, and having success with it.

One of the reasons I went off low-carb when I first tried it a couple of years ago was that after about 4 months I too stopped losing weight, 25 pounds from goal. Going off the diet was definitely no solution! I know it's aggravating, but from what I've been reading and hearing plateaus happen to everyone, and with analysis of the situation, ingenuity, and patience, can be 'busted.' Maybe it's just your body getting used to its new weight and taking a little break.

The great thing about low-carb is that it's not a deprivation-diet, so even if things take a little longer, we're not exactly suffering through the process, as we do with low-cal (imagine spending months and even years on <1000 cals/day - eeek!).

Wa'il's made a couple of good points - maybe you've gained muscle and/or lost inches without the scale showing it. Are your clothes feeling looser?

Are you on any medication? Some medications can cause stalls.

Anyway, you're not whining, you're just frustrated, and that's OK - I think we all use this board to vent at times, and that's what it's for!

Keep us posted!
Rachel

[Edited by tamarian on 25-11-00 at 11:52]
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-00, 10:53
Forum Founder

Rachel, I edited your post to fix the URL (removed the period at the end) Hope you don't mind

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-00, 12:23
Registered Member

BF:
Talking wow!!!!

Thanx you guys, I'm feeling so good today, I finally got the courage to measure and boy, what a great GREAT surprise!! I've lost .5 inch from my arms, 3" from my hips, and 3.5" from my waist. I didn't take the time to calcule my LBM as these numbers are surely good enough for me.

I honestly couldn't tell if my clothes were too loose, I'm a stay at home mom, and my wardrobe is strictly jogging suits, leggings and my DH's shirts. So this is wonderful news to me. I guess shopping is a "must" here.

Wa'il, just picked up my card !!! Sure do hope "THAT" whoosh fairy comes my way soon!! Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Thank you both, Jen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-00, 13:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: wow!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen
I honestly couldn't tell if my clothes were too loose, I'm a stay at home mom, and my wardrobe is strictly jogging suits, leggings and my DH's shirts.

Hi Jen!

Congrats on the inches lost. My scales were stuck for a long time too, but I definitely felt the clothes getting looser. Like you, I tend to dress casually in sweats and drawstring pants. I've started a thread in the Daily Lowcarber forum on "What to wear while shrinking" Maybe somebody will have some helpful suggestions for looking great while changing sizes.

see you there!

Doreen