Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Is it fair to make my house a sugar-free zone?

I'm considering taking a radical approach at my house, and would love to hear some other people's points of view.

My husband and I have not set a good example for our kids. We both come from obese parents, raised on meat & taters. He and I are both obese, and so is our 16-year old son. Our 11-year old daughter is slightly overweight.

I've been on Atkins for a couple of months now, and I fully believe that a modified/low carb approach is healthy for everyone. I am considering doing some housecleaning, and tossing all white flour, sugar, and processed foods containing them. Since I don't want to force-feed this program to the rest of the family, I would provide them with carbos, but in the form of veggies, whole grains, potatoes (with skin), and brown rice. (Basically the way I hope to eat after reaching my weight goal.)

Is this too extreme? I'd like to say, "this is how we eat in this house", regardless of whether they pick up a burger while out with friends. On the other hand, I don't want them to feel "deprived", and react by overeating whenever they have the chance.

If you are a wife and mother, and, usually the one in control of what food comes into the house and goes to the table, is it your right to make the decisions for the rest of the family?

Tami

Last edited by SthrnTami : Thu, Nov-07-02 at 18:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 18:06

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Nineteen months ago I took a radical change in our house. I stopped cooking rice, pasta, potatoes and I quit buying sugary stuff bread and junk food. I should mention we don't have any children.

I started stocking up on whole fresh meats out of the butcher shop and fresh veggies from the produce.

My husband started off at 207 and myself was at 197. Eighteen months later he is down to 165 and I am sitting right at 146. He didn't seem to mind the change so much. He still drinks Dr Pepper's and we aren't talking diet. He will bring home the bag of chocolate chip cookies or potato chips. I will occassionally make him rice or pasta with dinner but it's no longer a daily/weekly thing at our house. We found out you can actually live without bread, pasta and rice

It's quite a change in eating habits however I don't really think they will mind so much as long as it tastes good. Wholesome foods are much more satisfying than junk foods in the long run.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/186/135
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi There!

Here is my 2 cents on the matter. I know what is like to be an obese teen- I have been there and it is SO MUCH WORSE than being a heavy adult. So, I think that if you believe that Atkins will help- then do it. Gradually. Don't even tell them that you are reducing their carbs and don't do the whole "induction thing" or else they might start to feel deprived like you said. The trick is not to make them think they are on a diet. I think there are plenty of recipes that you can make that they will be happy with. Give it a shot and keep us posted.

good luck!

Nora
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You could also try the Sugar Busters For Kids or Carbohydrate Addict's For Kids approach. It's not as extreme as Atkins, but still eliminates sugar and high glycemic foods for the most part.
If you're going to do this though, especially with kids the age you have, I'd really suggest getting them to buy into it instead of dictating the change. If it's not their choice, chances are that they won't stick to it, especially when they're out of your sight, and that could wind up making things worse instead of better.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:43

BF:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nkd2662
"it is SO MUCH WORSE than being a heavy adult"

Been there, experienced that! I remember to this day how awful it was to constantly hear my mother say, "Now, should you be eating that? (As I was making cinnamon toast or some other sweet, since desserts never lasted past day one in our house.) That's why sometimes I think it would be better to simply not have it in the house.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:45

BF:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lisa N
"I'd really suggest getting them to buy into it instead of dictating the change."

Any suggestions on how to approach that?

Tami
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:56

BF:

My son gave me a great opening to broaching the subject of low-carbing, (and I have to give his High School a thumbs up!) He saw me on the Low Carber web site, and of course knows I'm not eating carbs, and said, "hey, we were just learning about cabohydrates in science....did you know that all cabohydrates in their most basic form are sugar and water?" Hallelluja! The message is being taught! Of course, then gave him my most condensed version of "why we should eat carbs in limited quantities in their most natural form".
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 04:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear Tami,

Quote:
If you are a wife and mother, and, usually the one in control of what food comes into the house and goes to the table, is it your right to make the decisions for the rest of the family?

This is what women have always done. The answer is yes. You are making also decisions for your family if you buy ice cream or white bread. There seems to be an idea out there that processed junk food is somehow 'normal' and not to buy it is somehow a deviation. I find this bizarre to say the least.

OK, I don't have kids but about 15 months ago the white sugar got replaced by sweeteners and powdered sweetener, the soft drinks got replaced by sugar free ones and the pancakes by pancakes make with soy flour. Also I stopped buying rice, pasta, potatoes and bread.

I've lost 44lbs and my flatmate, who is not fat and still buys buns and stuff when out has lost 10lbs and is rather pleased with his improved hrealth and extra muscle definition.

Go for it - you and they have nothing to loose and a lot of health to gain. This is not a religion. You do not have to 'convert' your family. It's just a matter of not spending hard earned money on rubbish foods.

Best wishes from a snowy Belarus.

Robert

#9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 09:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think its a great idea tossing some of the high sugar high carbed stuff out the door... I also have changed everyones eating along with mine... Though I am not as strict with their eating as I am with mine.. My hubby on the other hand does eat high carb foods due to he can handle them.. He walks all day long with his job of delivering yesss BREAD... My kids can go threw a whole loaf a day if i let them.. We in our house have restricted their bread use to only 4 slices a day and I do serve them potatoes and corn and the occasional candly.. But have also increased their use of green vegies and salads.. I know in my life weight was never a problem as a youth but come on as a early adult.. I want to teach them better eating habbits now while they are younger so when they reach the adulthood years it will carry over with them.. I tell them yes candy is fine in moderation and along with the other food I cant eat as long as they dont over do it... as for me ugggg The site of a potatoe and chips and candy are like posion now.. I am extremely addicted to it all... and if eaten even now I go out of control and go over board.. I think its a great idea to make our kids aware of the effects carbs can do to their lives if I let them go overboard all the time... I am also in the process of teaching them (homeschool) and in health we are goinging over the basic foodgroups and the pyramid... haha.... fun let me tell ya... To see that food pyramid and With me eatign so much different..

Tammy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: Eat only low carbs no specific one
Stats: 240/202/200
BF:
Progress: 95%

I think its a bad idea to do it and not let them know. If your kids are teenagers then when they go out with friends, etc. and in school it is to easy to get carby snacks. You might think there eating healthy at home but away from home there not. So they will probably gain even more weight.

If you want to do it then let them know so they won't go eat carby stuff.

These days its really hard for a teenager who is overwieght. I bet you they would love to loose wieght, so just ask.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 12:41

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

True when they get off they may eat higher carb foods.. but at home you are in control of what they do eat... and I think good eating habits starts at home.. If you eat healthy at home at least your are getting 2 good meals a day.. even if at school or a friends house they may be getting more carbs.. But then again if the child is use to eating healthier at home that child may take those habbits to school or even a friends house with them.. I allow my kids to be kids.. Birthdays and partys are comeing around I say enjoy... Mine dont even know that I have changed their eating habbits... They just eat what is prepared for them at breakfast lunch and dinner.. When we go other places I dont worry about it.. My children arnt on the heavy side. But my oldest is heading into the early adolecent ages where he is putting on his outter fat of his body that most children will eventualy fill out and up... I dont fret over it I just prepare foods and he eats them without knowing they are healther for him.. i also still allow him to be a kid also. Why should i say hey son im feeding you healty foods so you will loose that fat roll you starting... NOT I just give them healty foods.. and go from there...

Tammy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:04
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think you teach by example.

You make low carb meals and have good low carb snacks available and let them learn how to be healthy by your example not instruction. Forcing never really works - how many of us were put on diets by others before we were ready to make our own decisions about this.

My history was that my youngest sister was hyperactive and my whole family was forced to change our eating to have no artificial colors, flavors or refined sugar in the house (by the way this really works much better then ritalin for moms out there feeding your kids those juice boxes). But for me... I dreamt of the things I would eat outside the house and became a closet eater - also I am still quite obsessive about foods since that time.

I'm only 5'4" and weighed over 260 by the age of 23.

Just another perspective.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:12

BF:

I'm still kind of torn between whether to tell them, or just do it. At the very least I'll need to get my husband's support, since he's the one bringing in the sugary things these days. We had been drinking only diet sodas with rare exceptions for quite some time (a couple of years?), and last weekend he brought home a case of sugared soda! AND three different types of cookies. As if there wasn't already enough sweet treats in the house with all the Halloween junk.

The kids know I'm going to get rid of the rest of the Halloween candy today (and they're cool with that). Beyond that, I may take a gradual approach--use up what's on hand, then replace with better alternatives. Instead of the "big talk", try to find appropriate moments to explain why I choose not to have carbs, how much better I feel, etc. I may even share the Taubes article with my 16-year old. He's very bright, and may appreciate receiving the info from an "informed source", rather than just from Mom.

Eventually, though, I'll have to make it clear that although I can provide them with healthy, tasty foods at home, they have to make good choices on their own when they are away from home. Unfortunately that's easier said than done. My son actually tried a high-pro diet last year briefly, but could not get an adequate meal in the lunch room. He tried packing his lunch, but had no way to warm anything up, and cold meat just doesn't cut it every day.

What I'm trying to keep in mind with the kids, at least, is that the biggest downfall is simply fast food and processed, pre-prepared, convenience foods.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Hmmmmm....my first response to this was "no way!".....but then I was browsing thru the quit nicotine threads and thought differently.

I have 2 kids....sone just turned 18 and daughter is 21. My daughter is very thin and has to eat a ton of food just to maintain her weight. My son is more "normal" and follows a fairly health diet....at least at home. He also will at least try anything I put in front of him.

I do not buy any sweets...although I do allow them (well him actually, she's at school) to buy sweets and keep them in the house, as long as they dont' leave things where I have to see them!

I've also been trying to teach them some things about carbs....like whcih fruits are better to eat, why he's better off having 1 really thick sandwich instead of 2 thin ones.

HOWEVER...I am quitting smoking come monday and I intend to tell them both that there will be NO smoking in the house! They both smoke, and part of me is hoping this will cause them to cut back some....but it's mainly because I know how hard it is to quit smoking when you're around smokers!

So....if it's ok to ban smoking isn't it also ok to ban sugar? Granted, it is two different things....the smoke permeates the house, while sugar doesn't....but the smell of some sweets (like chocolate) can be just as tempting as seeing the food!

It's my house, I pay the bills, I make the rules....and if I decide to ban smoking, sweets, whatever it should be my right!

(Now, those of you that have a spouse should get their buy in....but you're the adults, you're the parents, you're the one that makes the rules!)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:33

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%

NO. NO. and NO.

Your kids are in the rebellion years...you will be doing exactly what you don't want to do: driving them to eat FORBIDDEN sugar.

I think it is entirely reasonable, if you do all the cooking, to explain that you are only cooking balanced meals. If anyone wants sugar stuff, they have to buy it (and make it) themselves. If they want ice cream in the freezer, let em.

Kids ALWAYS learn BEST from example, not from dictate. They may not give in till years later, but they will...if you don't force it.

I think doing this without prior explanation/discussion is setting you up for major and unecessary disaster.

that's my 5¢.