Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 02:37

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default stalled/gaining Nine Months....HELP!!

well, Im now as frustrated with this as I ever was with WW
here's my story:
?3 years ago, having a theory that I had reactive hypo's , did Atkins(this was when no-one in uk had heard of it) lost 10 lb in induction, then nothing for 4 months. Discouraged, and no support, gave up.

Rediscovered atkins, and the internet, last August. Lost 12 lb on induction. Since then, Ive fiddled about with a few Lbs... had good advice particularly from Natrushka, about calories...... journaling has been useful, finding out things......
then this morning Im up again from 200 to 204. this may be due to some cheese I had yesterday 2 oz, and my second LC choc bar since Aug. Even so, Thats a grand total of *Four pounds lost overall in nine month.* Wouldnt you be fed up ?

clothes looser? tape measure ? nothing. I have had problems keeping calories up. for the last week I have been adding hollandaise sauce to get cals. up.

the fact that still bothers me, is I averaged 1,200 cals a day in induction and that was when I lost. I dont seem to be able to do it otherwise.
Have occasionally dropped a few pounds since but dont seem able to now.

cals some weeks have been 1,800
keeping to 2000 with effort lately
No AS, 3 L a day, avoiding dairy.
no processed foods. Occasional coffee with caffeine cos Im so cheesed off but have had aeons without it, in fact have lost more when Ive been having it.

should I try my reinduction at 1,200 ????
Am I missing something obvious ? I have read tons, have PP and Barry Groves.Nat told me to be patient (yo yo) and Im trying.... but 9 months?????

Exercise 1 hour walk a day . 2 h this week.

hope you'll call in...... give me advice, a talking-to maybe. its been good just to get it off my chest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 04:53
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I hear your frustration!! I'd be MORE than frustrated!!

I'm not an expert (I'll ask Doreen to take a visit to this post) but if I were you I'd see about having my thyroid checked out. If that checks out fine then I'd reduce cals to 1500 for a week or two (make sure TOMs not around!). It's hard to believe that your BMR would be below 1800, so 1500 should get you some results!! Have you been checking ketostix? I don't necessarily recommend them, but I'm just curious.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 03:02

BF:

thank you TeriDoodle.
sorry I left it out - have just had my thyroid checked - ok.
sticks purple in original August induction and trace since, tho havent bothered for about 6/12. Just felt the trace may be ingested fats.
was interested also to read Munchy P s thread where there was a reference to vegetables. Ive only been having 4 oz broccoli or cauli and 1 small salad a day, generally. Over Xmas time I did inexplicably drop to 196 from 204...and I wasnt measuring veg. then, just taking what I wanted.
do you think that could be a factor? I never have tried increasing as per CCL as I just always stopped dead after induction.

I have had an experience this week, eating 40% protein instead of my usual 20% has made a big difference to my energy level. So will continue with extra protein this week. and maybe review the veg. ???????

it is puzzling. If it was calories *alone* I would be 112 by now !
my previous attempt at Atkins was at 1,200 for about 4 months.
(thats just my needle at the calories thread )

Last edited by plum : Sat, May-18-02 at 06:15.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 06:48
Starting Over!

Dear Plum,

As I said before, I'm not an expert....but I peeked at your journal and it appears you have the support of some wise and wonderful friends.

Increasing vegetables is ALWAYS a good thing. And I agree that a higher amt of protein is what you need for energy. Keep it going.

I wish I had a magic wand for you, but the only thing that pops out at me as a possible solution to your predicament is to get some muscle built up to help burn that fat! In other words, I suggest you start a very good exercise program that includes some cardio and weight training. It's really not as intimidating as it sounds and is highly addictive. Is that possible for you? I was an absolute couch potato for the last 15 years...and here I am 6 weeks into BFL and playing tennis 3 nights a week. I feel so much better even if I haven't lost a dramatic amount of weight or inches, it IS progress, and it helps my attitude a great deal.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 09:41

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

it is possible that 200 is a healthy weight for you. In this case, god may know better than the fashion industry what you should weigh.

If so, how could you find ways to make peace with that?

I'd advise you to keep eating healthily--as close to Protein Power purist or paleolithic or KISS or Schwarzbein as you can--forget calories, carb grams, and the scale, and find other matters to focus on.

HTH!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 17:40
Starting Over!

Excellent words, as always, Raz That's good advice she's given you, Plum. Raz has helped me in this regard (acceptance) by referring me to Adiposity 101. Have you read it?

If you can find a way to accept your body image, it could make your quality of life so much better....It could be that your mere stressing about the whole situation is causing you to "stall".
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 08:54

BF:
Default Thank you Teridoodle and Razzle

I am grateful for yours and everyones help.
I have put my protein up this week - and now my veg. and feel much better.
Accepting my weight..mm.. difficult.. I am small boned and so look pretty hefty. I want to lose fat as its uncomfy in the summer, and I am quite realistic about things..never been slim so Im not searching for the holy grail. But you have hit the nail on the head with my mental attitude. I spend too much time focusing on 'its not fair' instead of enjoying other things. So I intend now to read Adiposity 101, then concentrate on all the many many good things in my life.
Exercise..well I am going to break the habits of a lifetime and go read the exercise pages. I walk a fair bit, but think the building up of healthy muscle mass is something I could do with !Who knows , you may yet see me with a set of weights. Dont know where to start......but will start by investigating here.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 09:04

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

good for you, plum! That's a healthy attitude.

There are many great books out there on body image, including some by beautiful big women like Emme and C. Manheim. You could buy yourself a subscription to Mode, too. If we love ourselves, I believe, that radiates out through whatever our outsides look like. The people who matter will see that beauty...and the rest aren't worth our time or trouble.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 16:19
Starting Over!

Good going, Plum! That's great that you're going to look into more exercise! I just know that you'd enjoy it.... just the added strength you feel is worth the effort, I promise!

I'm not trying to tell you to give up on your efforts to lose weight, because I think it's possible for you to lose it! I'm just saying that you'll be happier in the process if you learn all you can and work a little harder at getting in shape.... that way, at least, you'll know that you're doing all you can for optimum health and that in and of itself will be a source of pride for you. It's a big confidence-booster and it feels really good. I think that after a time, when your body trusts that this is permanent it will give you the rewards you seek.

Have a GREAT day!!