Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 01:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280.2/252.4/168
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Ketosis sticks

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know where I can buy Keto sticks? I have asked in most of the major chemists and they tell me they are really for diabetics and will not give relaibel readings for my use?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 01:33

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi OKya

I've read in the forums that places like B**ts are refusing to sell them to people on LC diets..

I bought mine from my local independent chemist, so give yours a try .

Good Luck
Ken
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default KetoStix

Hi OKya

I got mine from the local independant chemist also.

I just when in and asked for them, no discussion of why etc. In fact i think if they'd asked i may have sort of implied i was a diabetic. I certainly wouldn't mention LC - there's an awful lot of funny ideas out there.

I (or my wife) can't see no reason why they wouldn't be reliable. They're used all the time in hospital on non-diabetics (usu as part of a multi-stick thing that screens for a whole range of chemicals) and the results are fine. I'm a bit wary of saying this cos it sounds awful but we are both Drs and find some B**ts/chemists counter assisstants really patronising and annoying. I'll stop there as i was about to get really rude.

Give it a go. Ask for a pot of Ketostix. They're made by Bayer, anyone can buy them and mine work just fine.

Cheers

Jon
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 09:40

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thanks OKya and Ken and Jon,

That was just the answer I needed as I was going to buy some this week. I know what to tell them if they ask, I can tell them I'm getting them for a diabetic friend so hopefully they won't ask any awkward questions either?!!

I won't go to B--ts - I don't know, give someone a white coat and they think they know everything !!!......he, he.

Thanks again for the info, and Jon & Margaret, it's nice to know we have Dr's on board and that the knowledge you gain from this could help others too.

Bez

(I like these guy's, they remind me of my state of mind - absolutely bonkers!!...there's no other way to be!!)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-01, 14:03

BF:
Wink Ketostix

Thanks for all your help on this one, now I'll pop in to my chemist 'under-cover' and see what they'll give me. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to sell them, is it still the anti-LC culture do you think?

By the way, My husband and I have been on this diet for 1 month now. In total we have lost nearly 30lbs between us (yipee) even better than this though, is the fact that my dermatitis and Irritable Bowel Syndrobe (IBS) have both significantly improved. Even if I never lose another lb, it's been worth it for that.....

Catch you later.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 00:20

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Congratulations !

Hi Amanda

Congratulations on the loss.

As you say more importantly ... the improved health: exactly the same for me too. I am not particularly worried whether or not I reach my target weight. I FEEL so much better since I started it in soooooo many ways that it's as good as turned my life around. The big test (winter and how I manage those long dark cold months is coming up) so watch this space.

Take care.

PS: Hope you get your ketostix: I do't use them ... they are a visual aid. If I listen to my body I know when I am out of ketosis. The sticks simply confirm it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 06:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Here in Florida, they will sell Ketostix to anyone, but for some reason they keep them behind the pharmacy counter with the drugs so you have to ask for them.
When I went to get mine, the pharmacy guy asked me if I was doing Atkins. I found that strange - he didn't ask about diabetes, just Atkins. When I sheepishly replied that I was giving it a try he jumped in on how great it was and how he had lost 40 pounds last year doing it. Here I was expecting to get the low carb is bad for you lecture and I got an affirmation on how good it works instead!
He went on to say to be really careful about adding carbs back in to your diet, when he did he regained all his lost weight. I guess he didn't read the chapters on pre-maintainance and maintainance very well!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 00:50

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Atkins is a WOL

Atkins is a way of life ... we all fall off the wagon sooner or later but most decide to jump right back on again because they have experienced the benefits of it.

It is a fine balance to find your personal carb maintenance level.

Take care.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 06:03

Plan: DR Atkins
Stats: 186/185/135
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default new to low carb

Hi hope someone can help me I've posted a couple of messages (maybe in the wrong place)

I've been in ketosis for over a week, confirmed with ketosis sticks) I feel very well, but have lost not an ounce, I know its important to feel well, but I need also to lose about 30lbs - any ideas as to whats gone wrong. I eat mainly white meat, eggs, cheese, and drink water and low cal drinks (including some dry wine)

Josie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 09:51

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Josie

hAve you tried to put your meals into Fitday ? Sounds like you are not eating a lot of fat, and maybe too littel cals ?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 10:38

Plan: DR Atkins
Stats: 186/185/135
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default confused

thanks for answering - I feel realy green - what is Fitday

and you could be right over the cals

josie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 13:13

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Go to www.Fitday.com

You have to sign up for the service, but it cost nothing.

You can input all your foods and drinks which you had for the day. But be careful, it is american, so you will have to make a lot of custom foods ( it seems like, there is carbs in everything in the US).
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 18:59

BF:
Default Getting going

Hi Josie,

I am fairly new at this too, I am about 7 weeks into the diet and have now lost 25lb's. I found the best way to lose weight and track what I was eating was to create a 7 day menu plan for myself. So I wrote down and estimated (using the Atkins book - and since then labels on food) the amount of carbs I was eating in total for a day - split down by bfast, lunch and dinner. I try to ensure that with every evening meal I have 1 - 2 portions of veg, either swede and asparagus or brocolli and cauliflower (all low in carbs).
I don't think it would be very healthy for you to eat just the 'free foods' I avoided all alcohol for the first month - as their is sugar in wine, now I only drink Voka & Tonic. I also suggest you have multi-vitamins every day as I started to get a bit anemic in the first few weeks. I have invented some pretty weird recipes since starting, I can always let you in on some of them if you need more help? Well done for getting through the first week, don't give up just yet, starting is always the hardest bit.....
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-01, 20:22

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Josie,

Your menus sound fine to me, but Sabena may be right about you not eating enough fat or calories.

Don't worry about not losing weight immediately. The high-protein emphasis of low-carb diets tends to result in a build-up of muscle tissue, which is heavier than fatty tissue, but more compact. As you lose fatty tissue and water, this is compensated weight-wise by gaining muscles.Try the tape measure test, or maybe your clothes are already feeling a little bit more comfortable? In my experience, inches always come off before weight. There are other signs too, like more energy.

It is perfectly safe for you to eat only carb-free foods, and for my money preferable. No need to eat veg or fruit if you don't want to, and you certainly should not during induction. If you enjoy meals eaten this way, they can be continued beyond induction, without harm. Most people find it more palatable to eat some veg and fruit though.

Regarding wine, dry white wine is OK, as is red. BUT...the body takes its energy from three sources in this order: alcohol, then carbohydrates, then adipose tissue (stored body fat). This means that although moderate alcohol does not make you gain weight, it can prevent you from losing it. By restricting carbohydrates, you are forcing your body to go to the alternative source of energy, adipose tissue, but by providing the body with the preferred alternative of water, you are stifling the process of burning up the body fat.

Try and get a ratio of 3:1 in protein:fat. This is the optimum ratio for encouraging weight loss.

I suggest you start up a journal. Every member is entitled to open up a journal, and make daily entries in it, if they wish to. This is a very popular thing to do, and journals are very widely read. If you post up your menus for a few days, and ask for help if you feel you need it, you will get plenty of assistance and support.

Best wishes,

Andy