Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 08:13
Running on Empty

Plan: Lo-carb/low cal
Stats: 313/295.4/150 Female 70 inches
BF:Hibernation
Progress: 11%
Default kon-stuh-pey-shuh n

Even the word has a an unsettling connotation—kon-stuh-pey-shuh n. I’ve decided I’ll start say I’m fecally challenged.

Okay, eww. That’s probably just as bad.

Two items—water and celery are my only two sources of fibrous intake that would counteract the symptoms of constipation.

I’ve heard there are some type of fibrous supplements. What are your suggestions of any?

♥️
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 09:23

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Fiber helps. Avocados have fiber and fat and help with that. If you are not taking a probiotic you might try that. My husband and I both take a probiotic each day. Nuts, seeds and berries all help. Greens help. There are many over the counter fibers you can mix with water and drink each day but I've never tried one of those. I do eat an avocado almost every day and blueberries too. No problems......good luck!

Many of the foods recommended to solve this problem are filled with carbs, but avocados, nuts, seeds and berries are good. So are flax and chia seeds. Add those to a smoothie for lots of fiber.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 09:49

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Fiber is the WORST thing I can eat with my tendency toward diverticulitis. I even remember being constipated as a kid. If I eat more than a small amount of raw or even cooked veggies (or nuts, popcorn, or anything with fiber) it will trigger a flare-up of diverticulitis.

Fiber helps some people resolve these issues, but not everyone.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 10:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Perhaps diverticulitis is the body's way of saying the gi needs a better diet. I have come to this conclusion as MIL has issues that developed after years of eating mostly yogurt. Low fat meant removing the gall bladder.

Dr Atkins wants us to eat 3 cups of vegies a day. From the allowable list.

Changing intake dramatically causes disruption of gi function. The gi needs time to adapt.

Pick water soluable fibers, not insuluable fiber...googleto find which foods you like. keeping to the lc rules.

Drink more water for those foods to pull in water.

We have all experienced your situation.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 10:43

BF:

Are you implying my diet is not "good" because I'm prone to diverticulitis? Fiber is fine for some people, but not for me or others like me. There are a lot of us out there, by the way. Just because Dr. Atkins or <fill in the blank with the name of your favorite expert> says to eat 3 cups of veggies a day, for me that would put me into the hospital FAST.

Back in the 1990s when I first learned about LC eating and started practicing it, I used the Atkins approach and started eating the amounts of vegetables he recommended. NEVER was I more constipated! I might even go so far as to say that the damage that was done at that time could have contributed to my issues now with diverticulitis. My first attack in 2014 landed me in the hospital on IVs for four days.

I'm just saying that eating a lot of fiber is not necessarily a good thing for everyone. Go by what works for you. If fiber helps you, great. If it lands you in the hospital, I'd say that's not so great.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 11:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I would recommend consulting Gutsense.org

This is a talented researcher on the subject of gut health, and he agrees with Drs. Eades on the subject of fiber: not necessarily the best thing.

I eat very little fiber and do well. FAT is such experts' best choice, but then adapting might take time, and that's okay too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 15:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I didnot mean to offend. sorry.

My point was overall we do a poor job of supporting the gut. Little is focused on that. I had to go digging for hours and hours over many monthes to learn what a diet does and diesnt do for the gi, the gi bugs, and their food, and the gi role in immunity and brain health.

Hope you find your answers.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 15:03

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Magnesium supplement works like magic for me. I take it every day, very gentle on the system. Helps with sleep too. Chelated magesium (Mg gluconate, citrate, glycinate, anything-ate) is best absorbed and causes less urgent, shall we say, magnesium moments.

Start at a low dose as you don't want to over do and cause the opposite effect!

Learned this from Dr. Eades in the Protein Power book many years ago.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 18:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Are you implying my diet is not "good" because I'm prone to diverticulitis? Fiber is fine for some people, but not for me or others like me. There are a lot of us out there, by the way. Just because Dr. Atkins or <fill in the blank with the name of your favorite expert> says to eat 3 cups of veggies a day, for me that would put me into the hospital FAST.

Back in the 1990s when I first learned about LC eating and started practicing it, I used the Atkins approach and started eating the amounts of vegetables he recommended. NEVER was I more constipated! I might even go so far as to say that the damage that was done at that time could have contributed to my issues now with diverticulitis. My first attack in 2014 landed me in the hospital on IVs for four days.

I'm just saying that eating a lot of fiber is not necessarily a good thing for everyone. Go by what works for you. If fiber helps you, great. If it lands you in the hospital, I'd say that's not so great.

Anyone who has irritable bowel (where you go back and forth between diarrhea and constipation, no happy medium) often finds they do better without fiber too - at least when it comes to things like fibrous veggies, and whole grains, they're just far too irritating to the gut.

I've decided that the amount of fiber in cocoa powder (the ones I use are about half-fiber), along with the magnesium in cocoa powder -that's more than enough for me. I have no idea if the fiber in cocoa powder is soluble or insoluble though.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 20:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Fat, magnesium and water are all I need as part of my vLC diet. "Experts" never recommended fiber, fiber, fiber until they found that their ultra low fat diets caused constipation.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-20, 08:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
Magnesium supplement works like magic for me. I take it every day, very gentle on the system. Helps with sleep too. Chelated magesium (Mg gluconate, citrate, glycinate, anything-ate) is best absorbed and causes less urgent, shall we say, magnesium moments.

Start at a low dose as you don't want to over do and cause the opposite effect!

Learned this from Dr. Eades in the Protein Power book many years ago.

Great advice! Magnesium citamate is what I use.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-20, 10:28

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Wow......

I was just responding to NikiRenee's request for suggestions of ways to add fiber to her diet to deal with constipation. ..I had no idea that so many of you had digestive issues with fiber. Fiber does not bother me and I do eat food that contain it. I eat lots of avocados, nuts, berries and veggies. If I make a smoothie (rarely) I add flax and chia seeds. However, judging by the responses many of you have big problems with those foods.

Please ignore my suggestions. I am sorry if I offended you guys or offered advice contrary to your beliefs or that you think would damage your health. I had no idea so many people had digestive issues with fiber. Live and learn

Have a great day.....

#13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-20, 10:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Very little fiber for me, too. It causes problems. Plenty of water, not too much sitting both help me, except when my personal pendulum swings to the diarrhea side, there is no food cure - just pills. And even more water.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
Wow......

I was just responding to NikiRenee's request for suggestions of ways to add fiber to her diet to deal with constipation. ..I had no idea that so many of you had digestive issues with fiber. Fiber does not bother me and I do eat food that contain it. I eat lots of avocados, nuts, berries and veggies. If I make a smoothie (rarely) I add flax and chia seeds. However, judging by the responses many of you have big problems with those foods.

Please ignore my suggestions. I am sorry if I offended you guys or offered advice contrary to your beliefs or that you think would damage your health. I had no idea so many people had digestive issues with fiber. Live and learn

Have a great day.....

No worries, at least on my part. Fiber has been touted as a necessity of life for so long that people don't even question the advice, unless they themselves experience issues. For many, it helps, so your advice to eat more certainly can help some people. Like everything else, do what works for you. The original poster, NikiRenee, might do well with added fiber. Only she can tell for sure. Up the fiber for a bit. If it helps, HOORAY! If it makes things worse, then ditch the fiber.

The magnesium will help immensely. You can also try drinking "salty lemonade." Just make some sugar-free lemonade (you can sweeten it with stevia or something), add a half teaspoon of good Himalayan sea salt to 8 ounces of the lemonade, and drink it. When I'm having real issues, I'll drink 2 or 3 glasses of this, and the issues resolves itself. I've come to really like the taste of it, too.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-20, 07:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
\You can also try drinking "salty lemonade." Just make some sugar-free lemonade (you can sweeten it with stevia or something), add a half teaspoon of good Himalayan sea salt to 8 ounces of the lemonade, and drink it. When I'm having real issues, I'll drink 2 or 3 glasses of this, and the issues resolves itself. I've come to really like the taste of it, too.

This intrigues me. A non-alcohol Salty Dog!