Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 04:52
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 210/207/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 4%

Keep the good work!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 19:47
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Since I posted last in this gym log, I:
* had a strange problem where I was weak, had no recovery, and got larger
* discovered it was a heart valve defect, by then I was literally bedridden
* was put on hospice to die
* eventually got open heart surgery and was saved
* learned to walk again with full-body atrophy and well over 500# weight

* was on medication for 2 years that kept my glucose high and heart rate low
* took myself off it and finally could exercise a little
* lost back to 328# currently
* have now taken up walking and weight lifting both in intro/small measure

Saturday I started my pick-any-exercise plan and did curls. I couldn't even lift my left arm for four years and have been far too lazy about working with weights since surgery. I'm pretty weak, my barbell is only 26# total. I did 3 sets of 5, I planned 5 sets and then seriously just forgot about that. Tonight is my next time doing them, coming soon.

Sunday I walked to the local grocer and back in the morning, and then to my parents house (1-way) in the early evening. (Bit too far for me.)

Monday I walked to the local gas/food mart, and then also walked around this little 'walking path' about a block from my house.

Tuesday I skipped walking but did reverse curls. I'm a lot weaker in that direction! I did manage 5 sets of 5 reps at the 26# on barbell but the last set was tough to keep my body still so it wouldn't "help" me get through it.

Then I tried dumbbell presses, to discover I could only lift 15# 3x with right arm and not even once with the left arm. I put 15-10-5-3-1 dumbbells by my bench and tonight I will see what I can do and just keep going down in weight until I can't do more with 1#.

Today Wednesday I walked around a small local park nearby that has a path all the way around the outside. All of these 'walking paths' are poor quality in that the cement/asphalt is terribly broken up, mounds of grass/weeds, etc., so you kinda have to watch where you're walking. But aside from that, it's very nice to have those options.

I am hoping to do the walk to dad's again this Sunday. The park today was about 840 steps around for me. Dad's is nearly 1800. So hopefully tomorrow I can do twice around that park. I'd like to be able to walk that many steps without being as bad off as I was last weekend, before it happens again.

Cardio fitness develops very fast at least at the lower levels though.

When I am lowcarb, my avg resting heart rate is 88, oxygen is 94-95%.
When I am fasting, my avg resting heart rate is about 68, oxygen is 95-96%.
Currently my avg resting heart rate is 78, oxygen is 96-97%.
So I'm assuming this is good for me.

PJ
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-20, 08:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Great updates. Good to hear you are moving. Peace PJ
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-20, 18:44
Every moment is NOW.

Hey it's Thud -- hope you're doing well.

Last night: 5 sets of 5 reps of barbell curls. 26#.

Today: twice around the ~0.31 mile park path. 5-10m rest on a bench in between. Two rests, one sitting one standing, each round. If I can do 3x tomorrow and Saturday, the Sunday walk to my parents should be easier 'cause it's about 2.25x the distance of the park path.

Verrrrry sweaty. Have a few weight lifting exercises planned for tonight, I will see how I feel. It just occurred to me today that when someone very sedentary suddenly begins walking, especially if they are super heavy, it's actually working every part of the body, including the spine. Maybe more of that with less than perfect posture. I think that's why it seems so unusually exhausting later on, so far.

Today's 2hr eating window: kefir with berries, super-spicy-hot chili con carne (beef and some pork).

PJ
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 08:02
Every moment is NOW.

New bright idea: by the official time of 'sunrise', be shutting the door behind me to go walk.

So this morning I walked around the park. I wanted to do more but after resting decided to go home and do more later. I guess there is no law that says I can't do it in pieces, if I want to get to 3x around. Obviously it's better all at once, but successfully doing this and getting stronger is the primary goal. There is such thing as gradual.

Which is hard for me. As my best friend says, I have no middle gear.

PJ
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 09:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Go PJ Go !!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 10:15
Every moment is NOW.

Thanks Arielle.

I had some work for a couple diff people this morning, and then when I was done, I got back in the truck, back to the park, walk around it again.

New rule from this morning: No sitting to rest. I can stand and rest as often or long as I want, but no sitting.

I really want to do this until it's not hard. Until I can go all the way around without needing to rest. (And mind you I am walking casually, not rapidly.)

PJ
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 07:48
Every moment is NOW.

I set a big personal record today with walking.

So far I've walked as much as two laps. I swear this park path is a little longer than quarter mile, because it has quite a few more steps and takes longer than other tracks that are officially a quarter mile, and this one doesn't have any spec on length -- it's just 'sidewalk around outside of park' and park is a weird rounded triangle shape as it's where five streets meet. It's about 0.33 miles per my measure with steps. Must stop a rest a few times. Was hoping today I could do at least 2.25 rounds because that's about the distance to dad's house I am going to walk this evening.

TODAY I did something different:

1. Instead of doing this fasted, right before I walked out the door I did a scoop of CARNIVORE SHRED protein powder workout formula in water

2. I got music onto my phone, offline access, my iphone headphone jack converter and earbuds, and had music.

I managed to walk more than one lap before I even needed to rest a bit, which was awesome. And then, at the end of two laps, I thought, I can do this! I can do 3 laps, I betcha!!

So I'm on lap 3, planning to go to van when done, and this dude, maybe in his 60s, asian -- I think japanese, and does not speak english hardly at all -- he's wearing this incredibly vivid tie-dye shirt that looks like something someone else bought him LOL -- is walking past me, and he tells me that I must do four laps, and that will be one mile. Or rather, he conveys this -- his english is so limited that this took a bit of wrangling between us to make clear.

He was being friendly and encouraging, and I felt walking-path-shamed hahaha so then I had to do FOUR times around because damn if I am gonna look like a wimp in front of anybody. He looked like one of those dudes who despite being older and a bit heavy, could probably do some crazy leaping spinning kick to the head if necessary. The next time he passes me, he shows me this paper napkin in his pocket, and he is tearing it just a little each time he does a lap, so he doesn't lose track of where he is in the 16 laps he wants to do. Oy!

And I made four laps. I had to rest a lot on the 4th in particular -- but always standing, and slightly in motion back and forth, when doing so. I got through Til Tuesday and was a couple songs into Pink before that happened. But I was out the door by 7:21am (sunrise officially) and I was back home at about 8:20am, about 8-10 minutes for vehicle/driving time.

I can hardly believe the difference that doing the drink and having music made to the walking experience, and even how far I got. I tend to get lost in daydreams, silently mouthing the lyrics, and then realize I've walked a whole bunch. That's pretty awesome.

Hoping to do deadlifts (kettlebell) and squats (sumo kettlebell) today on the weights.

Yesterday was 'push' day. I basically just did every kind of press I could, except I left out Arnold press just because I had others, I'll do that one next time, but I have to use uneven weights 'cause my left arm is so weak. I did DB overhead presses, dropsets from 15 to 3# as many as I could for each, BB overhead presses (could only do 1 set of 26#), and landmine incline presses (could do 5 sets but only on right arm cause it's 48#, of course that's easier on LM but way too much for left arm).

Tonight at 5:30 I leave to walk to my parents' house, and hopefully it will not be the misery it was last Sunday, when it was nearly 3x as much as I had ever walked before. Today I walked nearly twice that far already! Yay.

PJ
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 08:41
Every moment is NOW.

Man. After walking, brief rest, then weight lifting, I can hardly rest -- only my body not being used to so much is why I sit -- it's 2 hours after I drank that protein powder and I am WIRED and bouncing around still. Geez, I had no idea. And this isn't even a really big pre-workout thing, I mean probably not as intense as many.

Edited to add: I was seriously wired until 11:30am (took that drink at 7:30, though I didn't really feel the wiring until I was no longer exercising and wanted to), was more mellow for an hour, then another couple hours of energy.

What an awesome drug of sorts.

My kidneys esp. left hurt like hell this afternoon though. But I also took a few new supplements this morning, so I haven't isolated the variable of the protein powder. I will try it again tomorrow morning but without the supps and see what the results are. It could alternatively be that between keto, diuretics, and sweating more profusely than ever while walking farther than ever for me, that I'm just taxing the kidneys a lot, this is not uncommon for me due to that combination.

Last edited by rightnow : Sun, Oct-11-20 at 19:50.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 19:48
Every moment is NOW.

The 3/4 mile walk to my parents went well tonight. My week of effort was in part to improve my cardio fitness as fast as I could, so that today's walk would not feel as horrible as last week's did. That worked very well. I walked further this morning than I did this evening.

So that makes 1.75 miles today total, which given my inability at one point to walk more than 10 steps after surgery, seems really mind boggling to me.

I did just one set of kettlebell deadlifts on the vibeplate, and then another 5x5 of the 26# barbell reverse curls. I'm going to see if I can up the weight by 5#, I think I have some 2.5# plates.

PJ
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-20, 09:26
Every moment is NOW.

Did not walk for 3 days and went through weird phases of feeling like I just needed to lay on my stomach and be horizontal.

I never got muscle sore anywhere except shoulders and it seemed like, spine. Maybe that was a bit of overtraining on the spine. It's easy for me to forget that 'just walking' is more when you weigh 330 and are coming from not just sedentary but still recovering from a full-body bedridden atrophy.

Got up early this morning and went to the walking park, walked a mile, rests but all standing.

PJ
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-21, 10:31
Every moment is NOW.

whoops meant this to be in my journal