Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 21:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

C2W2D2 May 28 20 MAS

Oy, oy, oy. The legs were sore today after yesterday's LB & cardio. Mild shin splints during my run, that's no fun. No more double w/o's this week for moi The trainer showed me how to use the Smith Machine today & I'll be incorporating it into my LBWO after I practice with it for a while. Of course, that depends on the program the new trainer will have for me on Monday.

Once again I'm tired & sore, and longing for my bed it's almost 9 & all I wanna do is sleep. Sheesh, how exciting is that when you're single?

Nite
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 20:05

BF:

C2W2D3 May 29 UBWO

Excellent w/o. Kept the weights at previous levels and I'm still hitting my 10s. The 1 arm rows really isolated my back muscles and i'm feeling it, and it's a good sore feeling.

I'm looking forward to cardio tomorrow. I've had a few comments lately on how much slimmer my legs are and I'm sure that running is very helpful. Squats & such are great, but we've all noticed that runners usually have a lean, mean legs. That's what I want, lovely, knock-em-dead gams
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 23:23

BF:

C2W2D4 MAY 30 20 MAS

Great run on the treadmill. Successfully ran at the speeds that made me sick last week but wasn't sick today. Yes! Improvement

Abs:
10 reps back extensions, 30 crunches with legs on a stool, 1 ea side hip rotation/stretch; X sets; 10 vacuums + trialed twist crunches 4 ea side. I'll be adding some of these in after the set of 30 crunches. Previously I was not comfortable doing twist crunches, it bothered my back but today I did them quite easily & comfortably. What a marvelous sign (and proof) that I'm getting stronger. I'm going to have abs of steel one day ! I love doing the ab work.

Last weekend I experienced deep pinching pain in my right buttock, I mentioned it in one of my journals. Tues & Thurs I've been doing the back extensions but not going fully down & the pain has subsided. That rotten disk herniation is just on the edge of being a problem again, I must be very careful about how deeply I bend forward, as well as using my legs not my back when picking up weights from the floor. The 15 & 20 lb dbells are on the floor, no room on the rack for them. I'll make sure to tell the trainer on Monday about the disk thingy, 'cause I forgot to when I talked to him earlier this week

Last edited by Ruth : Fri, May-31-02 at 23:31.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 23:29

BF:

C2W2D5 MAY 31 LBWO

Ooooh, what a w/o.

Quads, changed from wall squats against a wall to the Smith Machine. Increased the weights by 10 lbs as well. The legs were wobbly when I was done; the last 5 reps on the Smith were an all out effort. It's harder to keep the legs aligned on the Smith, as compared to with the ball.

Glutes: increased weights by 10 lbs - hard work was done

Calves on the leg press machine - new max weight: 200 lbs x 6 reps. My calves felt this for hours.

I've been pushing myself to new levels on weights & tmill speeds every day this past 2 weeks. It feels good. I won't be doing any extra cardio - it just takes too much time out of my day.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 23:33

BF:

C2W2D6 June 1

Took this as my free day - too tired to get out of bed early enough & I had a birthday picnic to attend for lunch.

I'm trying to be flexible in order to be kind to myself.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 23:21

BF:

C2WCD7 JUN 2 20 MAS

Tmill run was great for working up a sweat.

Lots of ab work & then a full, busy day.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 23:28

BF:

C2W3D1 June 3 UBWO

Nadda, nope, didn't happen. Got to bed way too late last night & had not recovered from the exhaustion of last week. I had a session with a trainer at 7:45 tonight so I decided to skip the AM w/o. I didn't want to overtrain. Turned out I should have done the AM stuff, oh well, live and learn. I may use my next free day to get this one in.

Personal training session: I'm going to be doing supersets for a while. I've got an UBWO and new ab exercises; next week I'll get my LBWO. The week after I'll be given a 3 day split to work on. Looks like I'll be getting lots of variety.

TrainerDan's Metabolism book arrived in the mail today I've only had a quick glance at it and hope to find some spare time (hahahaha) to read it.

Gotta go journal, fix meals & hit the hay
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:10

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Personal training session: I'm going to be doing supersets for a while. I've got an UBWO and new ab exercises; next week I'll get my LBWO. The week after I'll be given a 3 day split to work on.

Okay....there is not NEAR enough information here!! Inquiring minds wanna know!! Give!!

Marlaine
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 21:49

BF:

Hah! You think I can distill 1 hr + into a few paragraphs? All exercises with the heaviest weight I can manage and still perform with good technique.

Abs: hard to describe these ones, I haven't had time to check Exrx or anything else to see if they have a name. I've got 2 lower ab exercises 3 sets 10 reps each. No, none, zero, of regular ab crunches. These lower ab exercises are HARD.

My standard DB Wall Squats with a ball have been tweaked to make the glutes & hamstrings work harder - I'll add that into tomorrow's LBWO. The rest of the time was spent on UB.

Chest: 12 reps Flat bench press with a rotation of the weights to target a particular area - this should help keep the girls from sagging ; 30 sec rest then 12 reps of DB Flyes;

Shoulders: 12 reps of Arnold press; 30 sec rest; 12 reps reverse lateral raise; 30 sec rest; 12 reps lateral raise; 30 sec rest; 12 reps anterior raise; OY!! 4 different shoulder exercises. I'll have some deltoids after 6 weeks of this

Back: 12 reps wide lat pulldown; rest; 12 reps close grip pulldown with shoulder blades squeezed on both exercises; this islolates the lats more effectively. I could feel it;

Lower back & glutes: 12 reps single leg extensions on ball (raising leg as high as possible); 12 reps alternate arm/leg 'supermans' on ball; rest; 12 reps back extension on ball

Back: Rhomboids: 12 reps ea side 1 arm seated row on cable machine; 12 reps 2-arm seated row; both exercises with shoulder blades squeezed;

Triceps: on cable machine: 12 reps tricep push down; rest; 12 reps triceps extension. Oooh baby, I felt this one.

Biceps: 12 reps ea side of half curl, pause, then a full curl. Always rotating the DB as it comes up.

The plan is to have 6 weeks of this kind of superset, then back to the BFL pyramid training. R says I'll see a real improvement on what I'm lifting once this is done. I'll get the basic LB exercises next week & the following week I'll get my 3 day splits. The ball exercises will certainly be addressing core body strength issues.

Wadda ya think? Is it enough? Maybe you should make an appt? In your spare time of course
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:27

BF:

Holy Cow Ruthie!!

Sounds like this guy really earns his money! Did he give you tons of info while you were working like you said you'd heard him doing?

Yup....I'm thinking that this is definately going to keep you busy pumping iron! And it sounds like there will be some big changes in you over the next several weeks. I'm absolutely green! I'd love to do a session or two or three with a trainer and get some direction and tips, since I don't feel that I'm gaining any ground at this point.

Hope to talk soon...off to work now!

Marlaine

P.S. Thanks for telling all!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlaine
Holy Cow Ruthie!!

I'm absolutely green!

So when am I going to get a chance to check out the green-ness of Marlaine? Thurs for coffee would suit me, are you working til 8?

FYI, at some point (the papers are at home) I'll be increasing to 2 and then 3 sets of these exercises. By then I think I'll be like a baby, w/o, work, eat, sleep & no time to be social
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 22:03

BF:

C2W2D3 JUN 5 LBWO

Only 1 exercise changed as a result of PT, (we'll do LB next Mon)
it was a modification of DB Wall Squat to activate hams & glutes. By the time I moved on to doing Step Ups for the glutes I felt it in the right buttock - a deep pinching pain. This is NOT a good sign. Hopefully the back stretches I did helped 'cause I hope it doesn't bother me tonight.

Overall it was a great w/o - modified calves on leg press machine & I've felt it all day.

Gotta go post in the regular journal & off to bed for me.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 22:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
By then I think I'll be like a baby, w/o, work, eat, sleep & no time to be social

Well...you already know that coffee tomorrow night is a go...but I wondered if there might be a third coming along? I can hardly wait to swap training tales and tips.

If you are a baby, then I am too. That's what I've been living. Eating, working out, eating, working, eating, sleeping, buying supplements, eating and no time left over to even breath.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Marlaine
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 23:24

BF:

C2W3D4 June 6 Thursday 20 MAS & Abs

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH. Mr. IBS again this AM before my run. Have I mentioned before how frustrated I am by my body’s infirmities? IBS saps my energy and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish all the intervals. My legs felt leaden but I persevered and finished. I hoped & expected that I’d feel better after the run and YES! I was feeling better. LUUURRRVVV those endorphins!

Abs next, these lower ab exercises are killers and I’m feeling the abs.

I’m feeling triumphant about completing my cardio today. No way do I want to miss any w/o becuz of IBS. Stubbornness beats IBS! Yahooooo!

Tomorrow: my new UBWO. I'm breaking out of my comfort zone here. It should be good.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 22:37

BF:

C2W3D5 JUN 7 UBWO

First day of my new ubwo. Yeehaw! I felt much better today and enjoyed my new routine. I started out easy, not wishing to overtrain I'll need to increase weights on the back, chest & shoulder exercises but I'm pleased to say that I hit the target right on with the tris and bis. I'm feeling all muscle groups except chest so I did something right.

Chest: 12x15 lbs DB press; 12x11 lbs DB flyes
Shoulders: 12x15 lb Arnold press; 12x6.6 lb reverse lateral raise; 12x6.6 lb lateral raise; 12x6.6 anterior raise;
Back: 12x70 lb wide grip pulldown; 12x70 close grip pulldown; 12x16.5 lb Seated 1 arm row on cable machine; 12x33 lb 2 arm row
Triceps: 12x33 lb Pushdown on cable machine; Extension 12x33 lb;
Biceps: 12x15 lb; ea arm, perform a half curl, pause, lower the a full curl. Unbelievable the burn I got! I thought my bis had 'popped' before, but you should see them tonight.

I can hardly wait for Monday and my new LB exercises, then the following week I'll be given a 3 day split.

Note: to explain the odd poundage on my weights. My gym has a mix of weights and machines in lbs and kilograms and I always translate it to lbs. Ie 3 kg = 6.6 lbs.