Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 15:10

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default 6-Week Makeover? (Michael Thurmond)

Anyone try this plan? I've read about several people having great success with it, and I was wondering what others thought about it.

To clarify, I'm referring to the 6-WEEK Makeover plan (you get it online or via an infomercial for $120) as opposed to the 6-DAY Makeover plan (this the book version currently on the best-seller list).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default It is low fat

If you enjoy egg whites prepare in no oil, and other low fat items, it is the plan for you. I feel I threw away my money on the plan. I've been on my own made up plan with *a lot better food* on it and losing weight steadily. As for the garbage about exercising less and eating more, it wasn't true for me. And in fact the exercises he prescribed did almost nothing for me. I have had more sucess with rebounding.

But I hate egg whites, not to mention the waste of throwing away perfectly good protein in the yolk. Frankly, it is just low cal, low fat, IMO. Same rigid plan that me me choose to be fat rather that live that way in the first place.
DD
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 05:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 250.5/250.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:

Yeah, it is a pretty strict plan. I tried it for a few days a couple years ago and that was about all I could tolerate. No dairy, no salt, no fat, low calorie.

I'm what Michael Thurmond considers a Type A (apple shape with lots of weight to lose) .. I found the plan to be very bland and after eating so much chicken and tuna straight from the can with no mayo or anything (blech!!), it gets to be tiring really fast. I don't have my binder in front of me so this is just off the top of my head.. A typical day of eating for a female A type would be 2 egg whites, and 1/2 cup of carbs like oatmeal, rice, etc.

Snack - 2 oz chicken, fish or turkey with 1/2 cup strawberries, peaches, melon, etc.

Lunch would be something like 2 or 3 ounces chicken, turkey or fish with 1/2 small potato and 1 cup veggies

Snack - pretty much the same as the 2nd snack

Dinner - much like Lunch

You have to have 2-3 ounces of protein with every meal. There are some things you can have unlimited but of course nothing exciting. Basically things like greens, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc. Oh! And you can use vinegars to flavor stuff with. Tasty huh?

If you could stick with something like that, I'm sure it would be worth the outrageous price for you. Personally, I also felt like it was a waste of money. You don't even get to use everything you get in the package and the video included is just an overview of all the exercises for every body type.

HTH
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 18:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the comments. I was just curious because someone in another thread I post to is doing it and having great results -- and actually likes it. I've pretty much decided it's not for me. I don't think you have to pay $120 lose a couple pounds.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-08, 08:38

Plan: all of them...
Stats: 170/168.5/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default I got the book, did the diet with results!

I tried this before I had my last baby and lost nearly 12 pounds and a ton of inches!!! I went from a size 14 to a size 8/10P in a couple months. I am planning on doing this again, for my "baby fat" doesn't seem to want to go away! It's very hard in the beginning to follow but in time you learn to eat better foods for you, eat more often in smaller amounts. I even went thru McD's drive thru and learned to get chicken sellects & small fries, just eat half and then eat the left over chicken on a salad later. I recommend the book, not the pricey "kit".
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 20:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Worked for me

I did Atkins and lost some weight but hit a plateau I was never able to break. I stopped, gained it all back plus some. Then I bought Thurmond's 6 Week Makeover kit. I ended up only doing the eating plan, I didn't like the the exercise plan. I did lots of walking instead. I was on the most restricted diet - the type A described above by Slim Curves - typically a menu would be:

Breakfast:
1 oz. scrambled egg-substitute
1.5 oz. turkey sausage patty (homemade, lots of fennel seed and spice, mmmmm!)
1/2 c. oatmeal made with water, cinnamon, vanilla, sweet-n-low and a strawberry

Snack:
2 oz. ahi tuna sashimi with wasabi & soyu
1/2 c. peaches

Lunch:
2 oz. chicken breast, roasted (marinated w/ tequila, lime and red pepper)
1/2 c. rice or potato
1 c. normany blend veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, carrots)

Snack:
2 oz. lean protein
1/2 c. low gi fruit

Dinner:
like lunch, mostly fish or chicken but sometimes had beef or pork

Snack (optional)
2 oz. lean protein
1/2 c. low gi fruit

Basically the idea is 2oz of lean protein (fish, white-meat poultry) combined with 1/2c. carb like oatmeal, rice or potato and veggies OR 1/2c. of low gi fruit like peaches, grapefruit, cantaloupe or berries. I found eating every 2.5-3 hours hard - like "I have to eat again already??" I didn't feel hungry and felt like I was eating all the time even though the diet is low fat/low calorie. If I did have occasional hunger pangs I'd quiet it down with a bite of protein and fruit.

I endure lack of variety well but cooking for this really opened up my spice cabinet.... I never could give up the salt though - I used it. Having a structured diet helps with the shopping and prep. By combining the diet with brisk walking for 45 minutes 5 days/week and kayaking 2x/week I lost 67 lbs and went from tight 22W to a loose misses 14 in less than a year doing this.

Unfortunately I've gained back about 16 lbs in the last year - boyfriend and I moved in together and I tossed my moderate eating and started eating like him - junkfood snacks, skipping breakfast then eating BIG fatty+carby meals. My body just doesn't work that way! With all my clothes getting tight I'm moving to change that now though - I just ordered the slim in 6 DVDs to get my tone back and I have structured my diet to the 2 oz. lean protein combo every 3 hours but this time I'm eating the whole egg and enjoying a little lowfat kefir, dairy and special K some mornings. I think the secret for me is lots of balanced little meals through the day instead one or 2 big meals. So far it's going well - I'm down 3 lbs. already and feeling a lot better.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Default michael thurmond

I did it once and went from a 16 to a 12. didn't have too much problems following. but tried to go back on it at another date and just had a hard time and the weight didn't fall off like the first time. wondering if I should just do low carb instead.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 11:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Low fat, low cal, and low-moderate carb, moderate protein. Plus eating 6 times a day, ugh. 80s style bodybuilding principles and outdated ideas on fat.

I do like the exercises and think he has the right idea on that part. One could do just as well on Primal Blueprint eating and more healthily - the low fat is a setup for hormonal problems it seems like.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 10:20

Plan: 6WBMO/Paleo
Stats: 196.7/175.6/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking

I did it for a year. Wonderful results and you can stick with it, but it takes someone who knows how to experiment with flavors. Back then, since I couldn't have dairy, I drank soy milk. I do not touch anything soy anymore. But, I did lose 46 lbs. on it and quickly. I went from a size 12 to 6/4. I was totally cute, but missing flavor.

I met the most wonderful man who wanted to wine and dine me. Hell, I wasn't passing that up, but I did mess up my meals out with him. Having to order everything with no salt, fats, or dairy. The food would come dry and just awful. I finally resolved to not go out to dinner anymore and I cooked Michael Thurman, my then-bf ate whatever I cooked and I maintained my weight loss.

Pretty soon, I felt I was missing his courting and we started going out, I started ording regular foods and started cooking regular food again, and the the 6 week body makeover was over.

Fast forward 10 years later, and we are a happily married couple, getting ready to celebrate 10 wonderful years together and 3 years as a married couple. I've since changed careers and am a professional cook, who loves experimenting in the kitchen and proud to say that we are now living la vida low carb, forever.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-15, 15:06

Plan: basic low carb, no plan
Stats: 278/274/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default I'm on the 6-week Body Makeover

I'm trying it this time because I have to do something. I am in horrible pain with my back. I have to have an MRI on Monday and not wanting to do that, but I'm not happy with the pain either. One thing is, my husband and I have a farm and I do most of the chores as he works (although he has chores as well), but I figure I'm carrying around three 50-pound sacks of feed with me 24/7. That's the equivalent of what I have to lose. Yep 150 pounds and I wonder why my back and legs hurt, and I wonder why I'm tired? It HAS to change. I'm nearing 56 and I want to hit 56 with 50 pounds gone, AT LEAST! It is January now and that is July, so pending my having to have surgery on my back (which I will all but refuse), I am going to eat, exercise and work to get at least one of those 50 pound feed sacks put off of this body.

Anyone joining me?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-15, 11:32

BF:

Hey, Dunroven, I see you're going to do Michael Thurman. That plan works! I have to give that to him (God, rest his soul). If you stick to the plan and eat according to your body type, you WILL lose 30 lbs. or more (w/exercise) in 6 weeks. The key is being diligent and on-point.

I couldn't handle not having salt or dairy or my wine, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I'm rooting for you!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-15, 11:33

BF:

One more thing, if you make a mistake and eat something off-plan, the 6 week body makeover IS very forgiving. But, you're not going to.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 19:17

BF:
Default I lost this post

I posted on here the other day and then I lost where I had posted. Found it tonight and just want to report lindalove that it is working. It has before and I just didn't do it right, but I am doing it right now. I'm eating all the food they say to eat and before I just didn't want to. I skipped the snacks when I wasn't hungry, etc. Anyway, I'm doing it all, the right way this time. I have been on it since Monday. That's 5 days. I'm down 11 pounds. I wasn't going to weigh until Monday, but I just couldn't wait, so great news here!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 10:08

BF:

Are you doing MT? If you are, you're going to lose weight like lightening fast! Congratulations.

Don't forget to edit your profile to reflect your losses. Good for you!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 15:21

BF:
Default Yep

I am and I did make that change. Just 7 pounds to go and I can move that accursed bar down!