Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:06

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%
Default MasterCook software

Any MasterCook users out there? I use it regularly and I know there are at least a couple of you who find it useful.

I was hoping to start a discussion of MC and LC cooking tips. Over time we could share our LC cookbook files and create a huge aggregate cookbook that contains all our great ideas!

The forum won't let me upload my cookbook file again, since I already attached it to a post in the Deep Dish Pizza Quiche thread, but it is available there. It's small, but it's a start!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Re: MasterCook software

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Hysmith
Any MasterCook users out there?

I like this idea S_Hysmith! Look forward to sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:36
Registered Member

Stats: 310/226/175
BF:
Progress: 62%

I just purchased Mastercook and I have 3 recipes loaded in it ..... I am very excited about this program ...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:35

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

I also use master cook. I have 371 recipes so far. Every time I run across a recipe that I want to try, I quickly copy and paste it into master cook. However, I haven't had time to properly enter them all. Like for instance you need to enter each ingredient into the correct spot so the nutrition info shows up. It all prints out ok right now but I need to take some time to do a lot of editing.

Anyway I'm up for sharing! I think it's a great idea

Julie Huck
310/273/160
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:38
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Funny, I was going to post this same thing a little while ago but never did. Primarily b/c I switched to a fitday.com-like program that allows you to create recipes. But I still have many recipes in Mastercook. But then, S_Hysmith, they aren't that much to brag about compared to your "works of art". I think it would be all take and "poor quality" give on my part.

I'd really like to start a "new recipe" club. We try one new recipe each week and then everyone comes back with comments. But I never thought anyone would really go for it. It would help prevent boredom for so many people. This WOE is so unbelievably satisfying when you re-build a healthy LC relationship with food.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Feb-26-03 at 15:41.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:25
Registered Member

Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39
Progress: 16%

I love the idea of the "new recipe club". I think it sounds great. I have a great wing recipe i would like to share. My husband created it for a restaurant. You can adjust spice easy, and it turned out to be VERY LOW CARB!

Let me know when you wanna start. I am in!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 23:31

Wanda,
I don't want to keep anyone's good ideas out of this! My LC book only has about a dozen entries in it right now; I've only been on this WOE for three weeks or so! Any idea is a good one if it's shared!

I'm up for both suggestions here. We can have a shared Big Book o' LC Recipes, and we can have the New Recipe Club along the way! Once we've all tried that week's recipe and shared our thoughts and any modifications, someone edits it into the shared cookbook and posts it somewhere.

We'd need someone to be the Keeper of the Book, and someone to suggest the first recipe to try. I don't want to claim ownership of this by any means; this is a group effort. Hey, could we get a moderator to give us a place to keep the cookbook files we're sharing, and the Big Book as we build it?

Meigg, why don't we start with your wing recipe for this week? I'm not exactly humble about my own hot wings , but I'd love to try any variation I can find; wings are one of my favorite foods and I love trying all kinds!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 00:21

You know this could really be great if we do it right. I wouldn't mind keeping a master book and keeping it on a web site for downloading if you need me to. That's not a problem. Then people could just update their copy when ever they felt like it. I guess we could do it like a book club where a bunch of us try the recipe and then say what we think of it. Then if it's a keeper we add it to the book. That might take a long time to get a good amount of recipes but we would get to have variety and we would end up with tried and true good LC recipes. Also, there are varying degrees of Low Carb recipes. Some are suitable for Maintenance and others can be used on induction. Some people may not want to try the higher carb recipes just yet. (I'm one of those people) But, if we get a variety of people trying the recipes and reporting back then not everyone has to try each dish every time. And also we could categorize them in groups like 0 - 5 carbs / 6 - 10 carbs / 11 - 15 carbs. And why don't we take turns suggesting new recipes to try. Starting with Meigg's wing recipe sounds WONDERFUL Also getting a moderator to give us a club spot is important. Anyone know who to ask for that?

I think this could be fun!

Oh and if any of you have digital cameras out there, we could put pictures with the recipes too!

Julie Huck
310/273/160

Last edited by Julie Huck : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 00:52.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Okay - here it is.....

Wings:

We bought a bag of frozen chicken wings (plain) at Costco, along with a new deep fryer.

Deep fry in any oil you prefer until cooked - deep fryers normally give a recommendation on this (time/temp, etc.). We cook them until they start floating at the top of the oil, and then take them out.

While they are frying, make the following sauce (we make it in a tupperware container large enough to fit all the wings):

1 tbs. white wine vinegar (0 carbs)
2 medium sized cloves of garlic (put thru press)
few drops of liquid smoke (0 carbs)
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/8 stick of melted butter (0 carbs)
salt & pepper to taste

Add the butter last and microwave all the ingredients combined. This will melt the butter AND heat up the sauce. That way the sauce won't cool the wings off when you put it on the wings.

Now, I can't handle ANY spice, so my husband takes that mixture and puts the cooked wings in with it, puts the lid on the tupperware and shakes them all up - then they are ready to serve.

He likes his REALLY spicy, so he then adds a few drops of extract based hot sauce to the leftover sauce (this is different than tobasco). Then he shakes his wings up and they are ready to serve.

As you can see, this recipe does not require breading, so even if there are hidden carbs, it comes out very low in carbs. I dip mine in blue cheese dressing.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the recipe, and I will ask my husband to clarify.

Let me know how you like it - we will make it again this week also.
When should we be checking back in? I think it is nice to have a weekend involved. Should we check in next Thursday?

M
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:36
Mad Scientist

BF:

Oh my goodness, the enthusiasm!

Quote:
Once we've all tried that week's recipe and shared our thoughts and any modifications, someone edits it into the shared cookbook and posts it somewhere.

We'd need someone to be the Keeper of the Book, and someone to suggest the first recipe to try. I don't want to claim ownership of this by any means; this is a group effort. Hey, could we get a moderator to give us a place to keep the cookbook files we're sharing, and the Big Book as we build it?

Yes, I think we need to talk to a moderator, probably Karen. I can pop over to her journal. I think it would be a good idea to do a poll to see if people are interested in trying 1 new recipe a week. Not everyone will have to do 1 each week (for various reasons), but if there is enough interest, we wouldn't have, say, two people making the recipe.

Second, logistically, it would be best to include the original recipe in the "book" maybe with the average of ratings by all the people who critiqued the recipe. Then at the bottom of the recipe, variations can be added (based on the critiques). Otherwise, it would be hard to track, IMHO.

I have almost all the LC cookbooks on the market. These kind of recipes would be ideal to critique primarily b/c you wouldn't be hurting anyone's feelings. But the brave of heart could also add their own recipes. I'd have to find out about copyright laws. I would think it'd be okay if it was credited to the author. Something for the moderator.

I'm really excited by this idea, now if we could get people motivated. Keep the suggestions coming everyone.

Oh, forgot to mention. We should have a day of the week (ie. Tuesday) that the recipe is posted and then the following weekday (ie. Monday) when the critiques come in. That way it gives people time to organize.

What are your thoughts everyone?

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 10:47.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:18

This enthusiasm is catching!

I'd like to even suggest that we expand the Recipe of the Week idea for those who don't have MasterCook. Let's see if we can't open a new forum under Low-Carb Kitchen called "Recipe of the Week Club" and set some guidelines there. Those of use who are part of this new MasterCook Club could annotate them and post them to the Big Book along with our own contributions.

By the way, since Sierra sold the rights to MasterCook to ValuSoft, the price has dropped to $9.99 Anyone can use this terrific tool!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:24
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Hysmith
I'd like to even suggest that we expand the Recipe of the Week idea for those who don't have MasterCook.

Good thing you clarified that b/c I had assumed it would be aside from Mastercook. I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestions. This is a great opportunity for people to learn LC cooking.

I posted to Karen's journal about this thread so hopefully she'll pop around soon.

Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:30
Registered Member

I PMd Karen, and she suggested the general section of the recipe forum. Does anyone know how to move a thread?

M
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:35

Over on the MasterCook Forum site there is a thread about folks seeking to share LC cookbooks. I popped in and directed them here.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 00:26

Miegg I have a question if you don't mind. I was wondering what pound bag of frozen chicken wings you bought for that recipe. I don't shop at Costco and so I would like to buy the equivalent at my local store. I don't want to buy too much. Ya know? Also do you know how many the recipe serves?

Also, I put the recipe in to master cook and it is rock bottom in carbs which is way cool.

Who all is going to report back on this recipe? I know I will. And I'm assuming it's by next Thursday.

And, I didn't see a "General" Recipe forum. We don't necessarily have to move this thread. We could always just start a new one. We just got to figure out where the proper place would be. Can someone ask Karen again what she meant by "General section" cuz I don't see it.

You all never answered me about keeping the book. Do you want me to set up a web page with the book on it for downloading? I can do it no problem. Just let me know

Julie Huck
310/271/160