Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 09:04
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile No longer "Overweight"!!

Hi everyone!

I happen to post my "official" weight based on my adjusted 14-day running weight average. And as of this morning, that number read 178.8 pounds, which means I am officially NO LONGER OVERWEIGHT!!!

You can check what category you are currently in by using this BMI calculator. Since I am 5 foot 11 inches, if I enter my weight as 179.0 pounds, I get a BMI reading of 25.0. But when I put in 178.9 pounds, the BMI reading is 24.9, and that's the official high end of the "normal" weight category.

Now, that is the "high" end. The low end for me would put me at 133 pounds, which I CANNOT imagine would be at all healthy for me, but perhaps it could be for some people.

Here's my weight plot for the last six months. The 14-day running average is in pink. Normally, a running average has a lag, which would cause the pink line to be a little higher, but I adjust it down so that the trend lines for both my regular weight numbers and the running average numbers coincide.

The slope of my trend line indicates I'm losing 0.18 pounds a day on average, or on average 1.25 pounds every week for the last six months. For the first twenty months of my diet, I lost at a higher rate (2.2 lbs per week), so my rate has slowed down.

You can even see where it stalled out about three times. To break these stalls, you not only have to keep at this thing and never give up, but you also have to keep making changes. As you lose weight, you're body requires fewer calories to maintain itself, so to lose weight, you HAVE to keep cutting back.

The last several stalls for me were caused by eating too much in restaurants, eating too much lc chocolate, and eating too many nuts. My current swoosh is due largely to giving all three of those things up!

Now, a plot like mine may look good, but there's a lot to those numbers. Each day my weight went down was because I stuck to my WOE. Each stall that I broke happened because I did something to break it (or at least remained consistent).

While our bodies are complex and water levels will make the day-to-day weight readings go up and down, or exercise may increase muscle mass (and women's cycles add even more complexity), there is still a basic truth. Calories do matter. In the end, we have to learn to control how many calories we eat.

I do that by eating not only low-carb, but also eating "light" when I can. For me, this means I use the Kraft low-carb Light Ranch dressing, and I eat the Breyers low-carb Light ice cream. I haven't put cheese on my salads in a long time and I can't afford to eat nuts.

On my steak fajitas that I eat for lunch, I have an electronic scale in my car, and I have gradually cut back the number of ounces I eat. I started eating about 28 ounces, and after many months, I am now down to 10. If I could, I would switch to a leaner steak, but the fajitas I get are very cheap, and anything leaner would be considerably more expensive.

I hope that more and more of us will find what really works for us, and then keep to it until time makes all our fat literally disappear. My fat has been going and it will continue to go. My plots clearly show it. My milestones (like today's) show it. But more, I know it will continue because I've decided to keep working at this.

And you can too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 09:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 426/211/175 Male 69.75in (about 5' 10")
BF:
Progress: 86%

Congrats!!

That is such an accomplishment and gives many of us much more hope that we can do the same!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 09:23

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Congratulations Dean!

I know how hard you've worked for this. I am so very proud of you. You are truly a shining star here in the TDC! WTG!

#4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 09:46

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Great Job!

What an accomplishment for you. You really are an inspiration to us all!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 10:11

Stats: 275/187/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default You are truly an inspiration!

Dean,
I even had my husband come and take a look at your photos. His exact words were "WOW".
Your joy and happiness are so evident in your words and your smile. What an accomplishment! You are an inspiration!
I have been in a stall for almost 4 months and I think I will pay attention to your ideas of how to break through. The almonds in the desk at work will have to go and (gulp!) I will most likely have to remove the cheeses from the menu, too.
Thanks, Dean, for showing us that if you want if bad enough it CAN be done.

Karen in Tahoe
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 14:34
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Congratulations, my Friend! What a truly amazing accomplishment for you and your loved ones.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 15:40

Plan: Atkins-SB hybrid
Stats: 140/124/110 Female 5 ft.
BF:30%/23.5%/20%
Progress: 53%

wowwwwwwwwwwww.... your success IS truly, truly impressive!!! very inspirational, indeed.

As for myself, right now I'm about 0.4 above my "normal" range!!!! So, I'm really, really, really looking forward to the day when I can proclaim I'm no longer overweight as well!!! (but I've been there for more than a week now... *laughs* so hopefully it'll be *soon*....)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 16:03

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Very cool. Congratulations on another milestone!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 19:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 402/299/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Congratulations!! That is a VERY cool milestone! Thank you so much for sharing with us!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 21:24

Stats: 225/211.8/130 Female 64
BF:43.8%/42.4%/18%
Progress: 14%

Congrats! Very inspiring!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 21:34

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Dean congraDulation since you have just graduated. You have been faithful and steady This is what I need to learn. Enjoy what comes your way and may it all be worth the work.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein + Atkins
Stats: 298/193/135 Female 65 inches
BF:58%/36%/25%
Progress: 64%

Great job! You are truly an inspiration!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 09:25
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

A lot of people in the TDC often put down a goal weight that is relatively high. Just to get down to that weight is so much better then where we have been that it seems a very reasonable thing to do. But I would like to encourage more of you to go further.

I really like that I didn't stop earlier and that I have kept going. I am liking more and more how I look and feel, and when I look at my older pictures, I'm glad I didn't stop, even though those pictures looked quite good at the time.

I went on a hike yesterday and have posted some new pictures from that in my journal. I felt so alive on my hike. At least at the beginning, it seemed so easy too. I overdid it a bit and got tired out at the end, but I'm still glad I did it.

Keep going all the way -- I think you'll be glad you did!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 16:23

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Absolutely amazing. You need to change your name to AMAZINGDEAN!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 16:46

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

congrats on your success!! i was just checking my BMI this morning. i am still obese and will stay there until another 60 lbs. what a bummer!! but i can do it. i'm upping the antie starting today.....watching the fats and calories not just the carbs. if i can pull all of this off, i'm sure i will be in onerland pretty soon. again good job--good luck!! you keep us motivated!! thanks for your candid and personal info and openness!!!