Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 12:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Sweeteners and weight loss

Anyone else find that eliminating Splenda/equal caused weight loss and increased clarity of the mind? I have only cut them out these last couple of days and it does seem to have a pretty clear effect, at least for me. I lost a couple of pounds, and my sister noted that I seemed clearer minded yesterday and I thought, "No, it couldn't have an effect that quickly! Just cutting out Splenda and Equal?" Apparently equal has a negative effect on the gut as well.

" Artificial Sweeteners
Think twice before reaching for the yellow or blue sweetener packets at the dinner table. Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda) and Aspartame (NutraSweet and Equal) can have devastating effects on your brain, as well as your overall health.
Splenda can cause a spaced-out sensation, brain fog, depression, migraines, headaches, seizures, dizziness and anxiety. Aspartame is a neurotoxin that destroys brain cells. Forty percent of aspartame broken down in the digestive tract is aspartic acid, a known “excitotoxin” that excites brain cells literally to death. It causes problems such as epileptic seizures, headaches, migraines, dizziness, unsteadiness, confusion, memory loss, severe drowsiness and sleepiness, severe slurring of speech, severe hyperactivity and severe tremors."

"While cutting back on sugar intake will also cut back on calorie consumption, consuming too many products with artificial sugars, such as Splenda, may actually contribute to weight gain. While much more research is needed, it appears that consuming artificial sugars may affect the brain much like regular sugar does. When the brain senses the consumption of sweetness, it sends signals that more food is needed. These signals will continue until a feeling of fullness is achieved. However, since artificial sweeteners like Splenda contain no calories and are not treated like carbohydrates, they do not lead to feelings of fullness, reports the Harvard School of Public Health. In the end, this may lead to eating more calories and weight gain."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 12:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Low-carb sweeteners, the best and the worst 4-29-19 [ dietdoctor.com ]

excerpt:

Negative effects of all sweeteners

Note that while the sweeteners to the left above have minimal direct effects on blood sugar and insulin levels, they may still have other potential negative effects.

All sweeteners can maintain cravings for sweet foods.3 Also, when added to foods – such as muffins or yogurt – they may result in a significantly increased feeling of reward when eating. So by adding sweeteners to your foods you’re increasing the risk that you’ll end up eating more than you need. This can slow down weight loss, or cause weight gain.

The question marks by the sweeteners labeled as “zero” indicate that although they appear to have no effects on blood glucose and insulin, their impact on obesity, diabetes, gut health, and long-term risk for metabolic or cardiovascular disease is not yet known. More research is needed.4

This means that all sweeteners, including the non-caloric ones above, may have potentially negative effects. If you’re able to, you may be better off just avoiding all of them. Note that on a low-carb diet cravings for sugary foods tend to decrease over time, making it easier and easier to avoid them.5

However, most people enjoy something sweet once in a while. If this is true for you, we suggest trying to do it only occasionally. Keep reading to learn more, including how to make better-informed choices.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 15:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You only recently restarted low carb, it is also possible finally keeping carbs low enough to enter ketosis, coincidentally happened around the same time. "Lifting of brain fog" or clarity of mind, and of course weight loss are two common benefits of being in ketosis.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 16:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

x2

Clarity is a wonderful bonus. These days I wonder if that brain fog is the first steps toward Alzheimers.

AS are a tool as needed. I use diet soda as a segue to full thrittle ketosis but keep to 4 servings a day which equals a two liter bottle of diet soda.
DANDR purs limit at 3 a day. 3 servings of AS.

A recent article I read indicates the AS also raised insulin levels....when our goal is very low insulin. So I drop the diet sodas, and drink tea or coffee black. The black coffee is a new step, and avoiding AS keeps the hungries away.

If I indulge, it is with a meal. Not between meals.

Nice to see you are making progress !!

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Feb-04-20 at 19:45.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 19:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Yes maybe it is the low carbing that is making the difference although I'm not going VERY low carb. Previously I was consuming a LOT of artificial sweeteners but I don't really have cravings for them currently. The caffeine is also gone now, and it hasn't been that long since I gave up bread and wheat. Probably takes awhile to adjust to everything and for this to start working. Thanks for the encouragement. and perspectives!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 19:34

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm 3 weeks sweetener free. I have no idea if it affects weight loss. Eating is fun and pleasurable. Eating sweet things is more fun and more pleasurable. Do the math
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 08:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Coca Cola "Tab" popularity = 1963
Cyclamates banned in the USA = 1970
Soaring sugar prices = 1974 (Hint, hint)
Saccharin ban (almost) = 1979

I've tried virtually every type of AS. I was among the first Tab drinkers. Since I started the Atkins WOE in 1972, I've been bombarded with the edict that AS will in some manner kill me. The only one I've ever had a negative response to is aspartame.

My absolute favorite AS is illegal to buy in the USA so I order my cyclamates from Canada. Sodium Cyclamates are inexpensive in almost every other country on earth, but more expensive for me to buy because I have to pay customs and shipping.

I've used AS almost every day of my adult life. I am nearing age 75 and am neither sick nor dead.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 06:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I get along with Erythritrol, monkfruit, and stevia. I use it diluted in all cases, like the berry lemonade collagen drink I have often, when I forget to put it in hot tea. Since I’m very sensitive to sweet now, it doesn’t take much.

Aspartame alone might be the effect OP was talking about: it IS a brain toxin. That test babies have with blood from their heel is to see if they can’t tolerate it: if so, they get a restricted diet to avoid brain damage.

Concentrated as a sweetener, it can do the same thing to anyone.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Aspartame alone might be the effect OP was talking about: it IS a brain toxin. That test babies have with blood from their heel is to see if they can’t tolerate it: if so, they get a restricted diet to avoid brain damage.

WHAT test ????

I have a son that cant drink soda or crystal light with this AS. Gives him headaches.

He reads labels. He can tolerate one drink, after that..... mild headache.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 09:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I suspect as bluesinger pointed out, that the anti-sweetner articles are quite possibly propaganda paid for by "Big Sugar". Here in Florida, Big Sugar does a lot of illegal things and gets away with it because the state government is in their pocket.

I generally use Stevia Extract (which is as natural as refined sugar) and I find the Kal brand to be the best tasting for me (no weird aftertaste). I occasionally use Splenda as well.

It doesn't seem to affect my brain.

Seriously, I think your individual results with artificial sweeteners might vary. I would however stay away from aspartame as I suspect Monsanto provided the safety tests the FDA used.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 10:44

BF:

Im good with all AS, no obvious effects.

We decreased our use of sugar dramatically. At keast the kind purchased in a 10 pound bag, lol. Sugar hidden in products is harder to weed out.

We tried making baked goods with AS and still do occassionally. BUT overall even our use of AS has decreased.... sweets have definited decreased in our house.

Of course teens have many opportunitues to get sugar outside the home.......sigh.

I now drink my tea and coffeee black. And I drop weight if AS is also eliminated. ( as well as drop cheese, cream and nuts.)
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 13:02

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
WHAT test ????

I have a son that cant drink soda or crystal light with this AS. Gives him headaches.

He reads labels. He can tolerate one drink, after that..... mild headache.

It's the PKU screening test. They screen for it when the baby is only a day or two old. PKU is a rare condition, but if they have it, and consume phenylketonurics, it can cause severe problems - brain damage, seizures, behavioral problems.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 13:47

BF:

thanks.

Youngest is sensitive to it now.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 18:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

The only cane or beet sugar I consume now is the amount that is in one square of 85% Lindt chocolate.

I read labels to make sure they aren't sneaking any in on me.

I put Stevia in coffee and tea and other than that it's water with added minerals. Perhaps 6 glasses of red wine per year.

I bring packets of Stevia into restaurants, because if they have anything like that, it's usually Truvia which isn't pure stevia, it contains erythritol which isn't necessarily bad, but not necessary either and "natural ingredients".

Natural Ingredients could be cat urine or roach intestines. They don't have to tell us. One famous natural ingredient is from the anal gland of a North American Beaver, they use it for vanilla and strawberry.

So if there is a choice, I choose ingredients I know.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 19:08

BF:

Im still searching for 100% stevia. Everything so far is a blend. May have to just grow it.