Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-11, 11:00
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peach Ice Cream

If you hurry, you can make some of this before peaches are out of season!! This came out REAL good and is most assuredly scoopable even after an overnight stay in my freezer!! I think this combination of sweeteners, # egg yolks in the cooked custard are factors in its scoopability. Plus sthe glyceringe and polyD help there a bit I suspect. All my other ice creams have gotten rock hard overnight in the freezer. If you like soft-serve, this is great right out of the ice cream maker! If you don't use an ice-cream maker, you will only get 10 servings out of this recipe: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/1...each-ice-cream/

I found one lone ½ pack of frozen peaches in my freezer tonight and decided to make up some low carb peach ice cream. I hadn’t done this flavor of ice cream in a very long time and it is one of my favorites. As frozen peaches don’t have the flavor intensity of fresh peaches, I had to “punch up the flavor” a bit with almond extract, but the final ice cream came out very nice indeed! It was very scoopable after being in the freezer overnight. I’ll have to report back on how hard it got after another 24 hours in the freezer. Remember, as ice cream freezes it expands and a little extra air is incorporated into it during the spinning/freezing. So depending on the size of your ice-cream maker, you may have to freeze this large recipe in two batches to avoid overflow during the process, so don’t overfill your machine past the fill level recommended for your particular machine! All the unusual ingredients are used to enhance smoothness and to reduce ice crystals, keeping the ice cream from getting rock hard, often seen in low-carb ice creams, caused by artificial sweeteners being used in lieu of real sugar. I order these special ingredients from Netrition.com.

If you don’t have an ice-cream maker and freeze in a bowl or lidded container, this recipe will only yield about 10 half-cup servings. If you use an ice-cream maker, it will fluff up or expand to about 12 half-cup servings. There’s about 1.5 more net carbs per serving if not done in the ice-cream machine, because of the extra incorporated air and resulting expansion that occurs in the machine.

Because this is made with so much heavy cream, it is not suitable until you are in OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss phase).

NOTE: I like to add a few drops of red and yellow food coloring for a peach color, but this is not necessary at all.

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. powdered erythritol (I powder my granular in the food processor)
1/3 c. granular Splenda
3 pkts. stevia (I use SweetLeaf)
1 T. polydextrose
3½ c. heavy cream
½ c. water
8 egg yolks
1 c. peach, chopped
2½ tsp. almond extract
Few drops vanilla
Sprinkle of salt
1 tsp. glycerine

DIRECTIONS: Process the erythritol and Splenda in a food processor or blender until very fine, almost powder. Add stevia, polydextrose and salt. Pulse a couple times to blend.
Now mix the cream and water in a large saucepan and scald (little bubbles around the edges only) over medium heat but remove before it comes to a full boil. Set aside.

Now add egg yolks and peaches to the dry ingredients in the processor and pulse to whip it all together. Add a little of the scalded cream to the processor and pulse. Do this 2-3 times to raise the temperature of the egg slowly. Now add remaining cream and process a few seconds to blend the mixture well. Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and over medium heat, stirring constantly, heat for 3-4 minutes just to fully cook the egg. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL. Cover and chill in the refrigerator (or freezer if not using an ice-cream maker) until very cold. Transfer to ice cream maker (may require two batches of freezing in your machine) and follow your regular machine instructions to freeze. Transfer to your lidded storage container and serve when it has reached desired firmness or serve at once if soft-serve is what you wish.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about twelve ½ c. (2 small scoops) servings if done in ice cream maker. Each will contain:

301 calories
29 g fat
8.88 g carbs, 1.18 g fiber, 7.7 NET CARBS
3.35 g protein
46 mg sodium
93 mg potassium
56% RDA Vitamin A, 17% B12, 32% C, 14% D, 15% phosphorous, 16% riboflavin and 15% selenium
Sponsored Links