Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 20:00
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Chocolate Pudding (or Pie Filling)

This came out pretty good tonight. I just took a basic sugar-based pudding recipe and made it low carb with the kind of chocolate I had on hand. It's pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...colate-pudding/

My husband wanted some chocolate pudding tonight. Since I’m trying to stop using the sugar-free pudding mix in the stores because of undesirable ingredients, I started to throw together this recipe using what I had on hand and using a traditional sugar-based pudding recipe in an old cookbook. This is similar to a mousse in my opinion. But it came out pretty good I think. This recipe is OK once you get to the OWL phase of Atkins.

VARIATIONS:

CHOCOLATE PIE (my mother-in-law’s favorite): By increasing the gelatin to a full package, this pudding could be converted into a chocolate pie filling for your favorite cooked low-carb pie crust and baked meringue or whipped cream topping.

CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE: Use the full pkg. of gelatin in the chocolate mixture. Whip and sweeten 1 c. whipping cream and fold into pudding. You will have a lovely chocolate cream pie filling for a cooked pie crust.

You can always add some dissolved instant coffee crystals or Kirsch or amaretto into the chocolate mixture to totally change up the flavor of any of these variations.

INGREDIENTS:

½ c. sugar free chocolate chips
6 sq. (3 oz.) Lindt 90% or Ghirardelli 100% unsweetened chocolate bar
½ c. Splenda, granular
½ c. erythritol, granular
Dash salt
½ tsp. vanilla
4 oz. heavy cream
4 oz. warm water
4 eggs, beaten
½ pkt. unflavored gelatin (I use Knox)

DIRECTIONS: Using a processor (or blender), break up the chocolate bar into smaller pieces and add to the bowl of the processor. Add the chocolate chips, and eggs and process until fairly smooth. In a small bowl, mix the sweeteners and gelatin and add to a medium saucepan. Scrape the chocolate/egg mixture into the saucepan. Add all remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat to slightly cook the eggs and melt the chocolate completely. When mixture begins to slightly bubble, remove from heat and pour into serving dishes. Chill for at least 1 hour and serve with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 approximately ½ c. servings, each contains: (this does not include crust or any topping or meringue in the variations mentioned)

260 calories
21 g fat
11.9 g carbs, 2.88 g fiber, 9 g NET CARBS
10.43 g protein
119 mg sodium
182 mg potassium
28% RDA Vitamin B12, 13% C, 10% calcium, 10% copper, 32% iron and 23% riboflavin
Sponsored Links