Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 20:20
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's "Taste Like Flour" Pie Crust [Carbquik]

Man, this is just about as good as it gets! I'm having more fun experimenting with oat fiber!! Amazing stuff for flavor and texture. I think I'm truly in Heaven tonight. I bought the oat fiber recently from Honeyvillegrains.com and the pie crust I made with it tonight tasted just like a flaky flour pie crust! Unfortunately, I was about out of golden flaxmeal, so I had to use a mixture of golden and dark. Taste was GREAT, but made for a dark looking crust. So I'll use all golden next time I'm sure.

Man, you bakers out there need to get some of this stuff and experiment with it! It improved my flax cracker recipe, made a great crumble topping for baked fruit, and now this pie crust was about as good as any I've ever eaten!

The pic for this recipes is here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...lour-pie-crust/

So far, everything I’ve put it it has been FANTASTIC! Gives things a flour taste! And this stuff is pure fiber! A serving size is 28g.. I weighed that amount out and poured into a measuring cup and it’s just slightly under 1/3 c. One serving only has 5 calories, 26g carbs and 26g fiber! So it effectively does almost nothing to your recipe Nutritional Info if you just use 1/3 c. , as seen below. Tonight’s experiment was hubby’s request for strawberry pie, so I took my Peggy’s Pie Crust recipe and cut the almond flour by 1/3 c. and added in 1/3 c. of the oat fiber. PURE MAGIC! Didn’t look at all like a flour crust, but hubby and I said it sure tasted like one!! Very crisp, even under a strawberry pie filling that had a glaze slightly thickened with xanthan gum. We’ll see if it’s still crisp after refrigerating overnight and post back the findings. Not suitable for Induction. For the crust pictured, I used half golden and half flax meal. I think it will LOOK nicer if I use all golden in future, but I was just about out of golden tonight. But using half dark flax gave it a nice nutty flavor and I like that actually.

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. almond meal
1/3 c. CarbQuick
1/3 c. flax meal
1/3 c. oat fiber
Pinch salt
1 T. granular Splenda (or equivalent)
4 T. cold butter, unsalted
1 egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS: Place first 6 ingredients into food processor (or bowl). Process a few minutes to get it as powdery as possible. Add cut up butter and pulse (or cut in with fork if using bowl) until butter is well incorporated. Add egg and vanilla and pulse a couple times to blend. Dump mixture into a glass pie plate. Using plastic gloves or sandwich bags for gloves, press mixture into bottom and sides of pan, trying to keep the bottom thin and push the sides up far enough to be able to pinch a decorative edge with your fingers as pictured. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Serves 8, each serving (crust only) has:

118 calories

11.45 g fat

7.84 g carbs

6.80 g fiber

1.04 g NET CARBS (my kinda pie crust! )

3.46 g protein

61 mg sodium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 07:24
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I'll have to see if Netrition has any. I need to place an order today
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 17:52
Patience Personified

They do Krys, but what I brought up today searching there was a different brand, not Honeyvillegrains.

I've calculated and posted the Strawberry Pie recipe on my site, too, now. 1/8 slice came out to 6.77 net carbs! Not bad really.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-10, 16:56
Patience Personified

As wet as strawberries can get, this was still crisp on the bottom day 2. The berry moisture began to bleed through the glaze on day 3. Bottom was kinda wet, but not inedible. The back wall of the piecrust was still nice and crisp.

I think with a less water-laden filling, like for lemon pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate or coconut pie, this crust would be crisp even on day 3 and perhaps beyond!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-10, 20:11
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I ordered a bag with my netrition order on Friday, so it should be here sometime mid week. I'm anxious to give it a whirl. I've got to do some reading to see how much can be safely subbed in so I know a ballpark on where to start. I really want to try some chocolate chip cookies, and I think this might be the kick I need to work on a recipe.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 08:14
Patience Personified

I'm trying a gingerbread cookies this week with some of it to see how they come out. So far, I've not subbed more than 50% of one of the dry ingredient (flax, Carbquick or almond flour) in a recipe to no detriment. I'm treading lightly to begin with. And if coconut flour is in the recipe, it gets a bit more complicated, because that stuff takes so many eggs and subbing might mean reducing eggs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 17:57
Patience Personified

Default Peggy's "Flour" Pie Crust

Well, I've been testing low carb pie crusts for over two years now and haven't found one I liked as well as this one I finally came up with last year. It's just about as good as any I ever made before I was low-carbing, REALLY.

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/1...lour-pie-crust/

This pie crust is great for baked meat pies, Mexican empanadas and pretty much any dessert pie. It is somewhere between a “short” crust” and a “flaky” crust. There is absolutely no “Carbquick taste” in this crust, either, thanks to teh oat fiber. This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of the OWL ladder. The funny dimples on the bottom seen in the pic are caused by ceramic pastry weights I use for baking all my pie crusts. Keeps them from creating air pockets and forming a big hump in the middle.

INGREDIENTS:

2/3 c. CarbQuick bake mix
1/3 c. golden flax meal
1/3 c. oat fiber (do not use oat bran, which is much higher in carbs)
Pinch salt
2 T. cold butter
1 egg
3 T. cream

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. In a medium mixing bowl, mix all dry crust ingredients together. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add beaten egg and cream and mix well. Using hand, knead into a ball of dough and place on plastic wrap. Place another piece of plastic on top and with a rolling pin, roll dough to slightly larger than the size of pan you are using. Now pull the top plastic off the rolled crust. Grabbing the bottom plastic, pick up the crust at the midpoint (plastic and all), let it fold gently in the middle and place the fold at the midpoint of your pie/pie plate. Gently lift the other half of the dough over onto the pie/pie plate and remove the plastic carefully. Finish crust by folding the excess crust edges inward and crimp decoratively if you wish. Poke 3-4 holes in the crust with a fork, place weights in the bottom, if using them, and bake in a 350º oven for about 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 servings/slices of pie crust, each serving contains:

76.5 calories
7.53 g fat
8.83 g carbs, 7.98 g fiber, .85 g NET CARBS
3.3 g protein
81 mg sodium

HAPPY BAKING!!